PDA

View Full Version : SORTED: VERY URGENT: foster for young male

Karlin
13th July 2007, 08:57 PM
I very urgently need a foster from tomorrow (Saturday) for a young male puppy farm dog. He is recently neutered. I can drive him within the Dublin area or region.

If all else fails I do have someone who can take him for two days but then he needs a spot from MOnday. This dog has been through two places already and I am very anxious to get him to one place permanently until he can be rehomed as this is stressful for him to keep bouncing around especially given his background and recent surgery. :(

Nickynoodles
13th July 2007, 10:42 PM
I hope this poor lad finds somewhere soon. Oh to live in Ireland:(

matties mum
13th July 2007, 10:53 PM
If I was in Ireland I would take him to hope you find somewere for him---Aileen

Justine
13th July 2007, 10:57 PM
I would take him but i am not close to you .

coconut
14th July 2007, 07:36 AM
Karlin i would love to help but i think molly needs time to get use to having 2 brothers!! if you need me for transport today i would be able to help!

sins
14th July 2007, 09:26 AM
I'd be prepared to take him, but living in Cork it would be difficult to collect him.If you still need a fosterhome,and could get him as far as Thurles/templemore I'm sure we could collect him from there and give him a loving temporary home until 18 th August.(hols)
Sins

Karlin
14th July 2007, 09:48 AM
Coconut, any chance you could meet me at say the Red Cow or at Naas or so round noon? Sallymum can do emergency foster for this one for a couple of days but is not home til after three, whereas I need to collect him this morning in about an hour, and have literally no where for him to go for several hours til that time. If he could go to you in that interim space then go on to Sallymum, it would give me a few hours back in the day to work on sorting all the other dogs and get some of my own errands done.

I will give you a ring though I am sure you are getting tired of seeing my name come up on yourmobile over the past week... :lol:.

Sins thanks for your PM, I will reply to that and also, yes I might find that foster period very helpful. By Monday he likely will need a new place and if so I could take him to Thurles/Templemore or one of our transport folks might be able to do this as he will already be in Laois. He really badly needs a stable place for a while with someone who will start him down the road of being a housetrained little man.

coconut
14th July 2007, 10:25 AM
I am in work til 1, ring me i am sure that i can get off early!!

Justine
14th July 2007, 10:46 AM
Thats the problem,i am too far as well.I only know my way to Cork and Waterford.Been here 9 yrs.What a disgrace......

Cathryn
14th July 2007, 10:48 AM
GOOD LUCK with this one girls!! :xfngr:

sins
14th July 2007, 12:03 PM
I've checked with my husband and we'd be delighted to look after him.One or both of us would be at home with him at all times(joys of flexitime) and collecting from Templemore/Thurles is ok.I've pm'd Karlin with mobile phone no. and he'd have a secure home with large enclosed garden and Daisy for company until he gets a permanent home.So at least there's one volunteer:)
Sins

Karlin
14th July 2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks so much for all this effort.

A relative of Coconut who owns a couple of dogs is happy to take him as a long term foster and see how he fits in and then may take him permanently, so he is thankfully sorted for now without anyone needing to make further drives. However as people can see I am often in very desparate need of fosters on short notice and Sins I very much appreciate your offer and will likely be in touch on a future dog. :) It really helps the puppy farm dogs in particular if someone can look after them for long enough for them to get a sense of what their new life will be like and work with them on housetraining and manners. Even a one to two week foster makes a BIG difference for these guys.

I just collected and drove this fellow to meet Coconut (after a few confusions on my part such as missing the exit off the dual carriageway... :rolleyes: ). He is a lovely healthy active boy, probably about 18 months old, very goodnatured and outgoing, and will make an excellent family dog.

Here he is (with a very large head due to the angle!):

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1258/808249565_9e317127b0_m.jpg

Justine
14th July 2007, 03:44 PM
Oh thats fantastic.Allways here if i can help.jus.

sins
14th July 2007, 03:54 PM
That's wonderful news to see him settled in a potential permanent home.
I've just discovered that Justine is a former neighbour of mine:D and although she's moved away she's still less than 25 mins from me so if you ever need a driver I'm sure we'd be delighted to work together to get some dogs sorted out in future.
Sins

Karlin
14th July 2007, 03:55 PM
I've PMd you both and you are formally in my reserves now! :lol:

Justine
14th July 2007, 04:38 PM
Yep,i agree Sins and i can drive together or can share.I can drive if she will navigate,thats my problem i dont know anywhere,its very embarasing,and my spelling is sooooo bad.

coconut
20th July 2007, 09:21 AM
This lil man seems to be getting on really well with my sis's family, the kids (14-21) love him and he is making himself at home, only problem is that he is snaping at the other dogs, with a bit of work he will stop that!

sallymum
21st July 2007, 11:14 AM
When i had him here the only probs i had with him was mounting the other dogs. He never snapped at all. Hopefully this can be sorted.Well done for these people taken him in.

Karlin
21st July 2007, 11:49 AM
The snapping is not unusual as he setles in and gets a bit more confident -- it's a bit of jealousy and a bit ofclaiming their new people for themselves.

Some things they can do:

1) if he snaps he gets told clearly, 'no' and is given a time out in a room for the next 10 minutes or so. He should quickly associate the end of time with the people he loves when he snaps.

2) Lots of time together away from home for these dogs so they keep mixing on neutral territory. The more they can interact as dogs in a space where ownership of territory or humans isn't an issue, the better.

3) whatever happens, don't have him snap and then give any kind of positive response For example, don't let anyone feel, 'poor fellow, he just needs encouragement and comforting' and respond with a soothing voice and petting him etc. This will just make him think, 'I must be doing something right as my snapping gets such a good response!' All attention needs to be withdrawn from him as soon as he snaps and if possible, he goes for a time out.

Most likely the snapping will stop pretty quickly. Alot of rescues I have fostered start out by doing this and often it is the kind of behaviour that takes a few days or even weeks to start to show up because at first the new dog may be too timid or apprehensive and uncertain to be this rude to the resident dogs.