PDA

View Full Version : Plum tree



clark67
16th July 2007, 10:43 AM
Can anyone tell me whether the small yellow plums are dangerous to cav's. We have an 11 week old called Harvey and my next door neighbours big plum tree's branches hang over our fence. When the plums drop they fall into our garden which up till now was fine as the children love them. They are the small yellow kind but are these ok with the dog as he keeps picking them up and running round with it in his mouth. Reason I ask is that he was sick last night and dont whether it's du to that?

Caraline
16th July 2007, 11:31 AM
I don't think plumbs are on the list of foods toxic to dogs, but with any fruit too much could cause a tummy ache. I'd be worried about the stone in the plumb though. I doubt swallowing just one would be a problem, but if he really gets into them maybe he could get in strife from those stones. Can you maybe fence off that part of the yard with a bit of chicken wire or something not too ugly to keep him away from it?

Cathy Moon
16th July 2007, 11:31 AM
I would say absolutely do not let him have those plums. Yes, that could give him diarrhea and vomiting. Puppies can get dehydrated and go downhill very quickly.

Karlin
16th July 2007, 12:05 PM
Puppies tend to pick up things in their mouths more than adults will be likely to do this. If he is carrying them around and not eating them, that's one thing (but if they are choking size, probably not a good idea).

I wouldn't be worried about the fruit -- I give my dogs fruit all the time -- but the stone especially in a puppy could cause a problem.

I'd not let him run around without some supervision and I'd also start raking up the plums -- a good job for kids maybe to stack them up so they can eat them later if they like them!

Then I'd bring one to the vet and ask if they are safe.

Unless he ate a lot of them I doubt they'd have made him vomit. Puppies do get into all sorts of stuff that can cause them to vomit a bit.

That said: when they are small you really need to watch them like a hawk -- they can get seriously ill from licking or chewing plants that have chemicals on them (pesticide or fertiliser) eating snail pellets, chewing the many plants that are poisonous to dogs (which can be different from those that affect humans), chewing sticks, eating snails or slugs... it just really is not a good idea to let a puppy run around further than arms' reach to pick him back up or keep him away from items you don't want him eating or testing out. :thmbsup:

Bruce H
16th July 2007, 12:32 PM
Here is a link to a site of plants that can be a problem http://www.cybercanine.com/toxicplants.htm
It doesn't seem to say anything about plumb trees, but it has a link at the bottom to ASPCA that appears to have additional information on poisonous plats and foods. Might be worth a look.

ourempire
16th July 2007, 04:34 PM
Well, my Molly (9½ months) also "enjoys" the greenish plums from our tree in the garden. We try to pick them up, but it is difficult to find everyone. So far she has had no problems, she has had "to go" a couple of more times, but no diarrhea or stomach aches.
We just try to cut down the other goodies she will be fed during the day. She normally gets 1/8 of a peeled apple, which I was told before we got her was good for her teeth. When we got her I was told from an owner of champion dogs (welsh corgi) that the acid in apples were good for the teeth, and the highligth of her day is having apple. Besides she gets ice cubes, as many as she likes, this is "good candy", especially on warm summer days.
I wouldn't worry too much about the plums, you can always go through the garden before you let your dog out, but you can't prevent everything.

*Pauline*
16th July 2007, 11:46 PM
In the list Bruce gave the link for, it says an Azalea (Rhododendron spp.) is poisonous. Is there a difference between Azalea and Rhododendron as I have a Rhododendron in my garden and Dylan keeps pulling the leaves off :eek: I'll have to fence it off. It's too big to cut down.

Never mind, I just found another list for toxic plants with Rhododendron it it.

Davy
17th July 2007, 12:54 AM
Plum trees rang a bell with me and then I remember it because I have birds.

While the fruit is OK the tree itself is not. I know you can't use the wood from a plum tree with birds because it has cyanide in it and I did a quick search on the net and found this site for horse which warns that even eating the leaves can be harmful as they also have cyanide in them.

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/farm_ranch/management/eqtoxic436/


Equally toxic are cherry (black cherry, chokecherry, and fire cherry) peach and plum trees, all members of the Prunus species. These leaves also produce cyanide when wilted, affecting horses within a few hours of ingestion.

I would do some more research and ask your vet before being happy with having a plum tree in the garden, as my SiânE like other Cavaliers I have seen do like to chew on fallen branches.

Cathy T
17th July 2007, 03:04 AM
We finally chopped our plum tree when we re-did our yard. Every morning I would have to do plum duty :confused: Jake would occasionally get one and bring that mushy old thing in the house....what a mess. So glad the plum tree is outta here!!