PDA

View Full Version : Toxic plant in my garden, how to fence off?

*Pauline*
17th July 2007, 12:59 AM
I have a Rhododendron in my garden and Dylan has been pulling off leaves for ages. I saw another thread in the Health And Diet section and Bruce gave a link to a list of toxic plants, Rhododendron can be deadly :confused: :eek:

Ok, so I can cut back the bottom but I need a picket fence or something like this to put round it. I can turn my hand to most things but have never had any experience with wood work. I need to make or buy something quick as I'm pretty worried. Any ideas or links to something I can buy, in a shop, I don't want to wait for the post, I'd be very grateful for.

Thank you :)

p.s. It's too big to cut down completely.

Cathy Moon
17th July 2007, 02:29 AM
I use the 24 inch tall wire folding fences that you stick in the ground. With cavvies, you have to use 2 or 3 layers of the fencing or they can squeeze through some openings. You also have to train the athletic ones (like Geordie!:rolleyes:) not to jump over it.

If it was an extremely toxic plant like Digitalis (Foxglove) or Lily of the Valley, I would remove the plant or use really good fencing to divide the garden.

matties mum
17th July 2007, 07:12 AM
I was going to suggest the same kind of thing has Cathy Moon
-----Aileen and the gang(Jazzie----Barney----Sam)

*Pauline*
17th July 2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice, I just finished cutting away anything he could reach so the plant looks more like a "standard" than a bush now. Boy am I tired, my legs are shaking!

Barbara Nixon
17th July 2007, 03:14 PM
Look out for any fallen or drying off leaves, as azalea/rhododendron bushes are prone to dropping them.

arasara
17th July 2007, 04:26 PM
rhododendrons are the Washington State Flower! I didn't know they were poison :yikes We had them all my life since that's our home state flower.. oops!

Justine
17th July 2007, 08:34 PM
Glad you posted about these plants ,i didnt know they were poisoness.hope you can fence of ,or will you cut it down.