• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much to pay?

Cathy Moon

My sister and I are working out a deal where she'll come over to my house on weekdays to let my cavs out for a potty and exercise break at lunchtime. She'll play with them for 1/2 hour and give them treats!:) She lives about 10 minutes away.

This is going to save me 1.5 hours per day plus 26 miles per day for fuel and wear & tear on the car, since I've been coming home for lunch each day. I'm going to be lots happier, because I'll eat lunch at my desk and get to leave at 5:00pm rather than 6:30 or 7!:D

Any ideas on what is a fair price for this service? She's thinking of starting a business doing this, if she can get enough customers.:paw:

That sounds like a great deal Cathy. Will you save you so much time and you'll have someone you know and trust. My pet sitter charges $19 for a one hour visit including a walk.

Cathy - I hire a professional dog walking service ot take Lucky out at lunch time and I pay $12 a walk for a half an hour walk. I have her walk him the whole time unless it is raining. My walker lives about the same distance. I'm not sure how the rates compare for the NYC Metro area vs. Ohio, but if you post an ad on Craigslist saying you are looking for a dog walker, I'll bet you get a few replies that will give you a sense of the going rate in your area. (I know you aren't actually looking for a walker since you have your sister, but it'll help you know the market rate in your area).

I posted on Craig's List to find my dog walker. I can also PM you the name of the service I use. All the local dog walkers are managed by a national company - not sure if they are in your area though.

Good Luck!!

Wow this sounds like a wonderful arrangement. :D Sorry, no suggestion re $ as I honestly would not have clue. Very pleased for you though.

Not the same thing, but I pay my friend who lives a few minutes' walk away, €15 (round $20) a day when I am gone to come in and feed my cats, clean litter boxes, and hang out for about 30 minutes or so; water plants or whatever. This ws about the charge for a similar commercial service.

Thanks everyone! We're going to start at $50 a week, since she did a trial run yesterday (with me waiting outside to see how it went) and now she's committed and wants this to be her first week.

Thanks for the Craig's List idea, Lani, we're definitely going to do what you said and adjust the price up if needed to be fair. She could also advertise there, or find customers there!

I'm just laughing to myself because I'm a child care provider who also teaches preschool. Parents complain about spending $20 per DAY for ALL DAY CARE OF THEIR CHILD!!!! With preschool classees included!

I'm thinking all you pet owners take better care of your pets than most of the parents with small children! And this is a temporary investment! A dog's care goes on for their lifetime!

GOOD JOB OWNERS!!!:dogwlk: :paw:

Cathy---
Also, I think what would be nice is to pick up little goodies for your sister as well....maybe small items from Crabtree and Evelyn or Bath and Bodyworks or little snack items---special salsas and chips that she would not necessarily pick up for herself. Those little kindnesses along with the $ mean a lot! Because, of course, she is taking care of your babies;) !

That's a nice idea, Nancy, I will do that. I'll make sure it's something nice.

Yesterday I gave her a 20-30 lb basket of zucchini and crookneck squash from our garden, to share with her friends and neighbors - not exactly a glamorous gift!:lol:;)

I'm just laughing to myself because I'm a child care provider who also teaches preschool. Parents complain about spending $20 per DAY for ALL DAY CARE OF THEIR CHILD!!!! With preschool classees included!

I'm thinking all you pet owners take better care of your pets than most of the parents with small children! And this is a temporary investment! A dog's care goes on for their lifetime!

Isn't that the truth? My mother ran an in-home daycare while I was growing up. She had kids being dropped off at 6am and picked up at 6am. They had breakfast and sometimes dinner with us (lunch at school, if they were old enough to go). I think she charged like 2 dollars an hour (of course, this was a good many years ago....).

Childcare providers and educators all deserve major raises, in my opinion!

All day childcare here is 50+ USD per day. I was a director of a daycare center in a previous life.

My daughter does dogcare in her home 25 dollars per day-- cageless if the dog likes kids, cats and other dogs

My daughter gets $10.00 per hour to watch a couples 8month old baby. They really appreciate her watching him. They go out to dinner and a movie and said its well worth it because she is only 3 houses away and before they would take him to the mother-in-laws which was an hour away one way. So my daughter makes pretty good money doing that. When we went on vacation, before I had Sabrina I paid a girl $175 for the week to come over and feed and water my cats and just be in the house. She was a high school girl and was thrilled to pieces.

I think Craigslist is a good way for her to check out what others offering this service charge, and it's an excellent vehicle for her to advertise--for free--on. I love Craigslist!

We have a dog nanny--not really a walker, as she just comes over to let them out in the backyard for 15 minutes. My sister uses her, so that's how we were referred, but she does have business cards and a website...something else for your sister to consider. We pay $10/day. Now that I'm working from home 2 days a week, I think they miss her on those days, because around 11:30 they go and stand by the door! :)

Last edited:
Ok you generous lot, looks like I was really "done" for looking after 22 dogs then, who wants me to house sit?!

This is going to save me 1.5 hours per day plus 26 miles per day for fuel and wear & tear on the car, since I've been coming home for lunch each day. I'm going to be lots happier, because I'll eat lunch at my desk and get to leave at 5:00pm rather than 6:30 or 7!:D

I was laughing reading this because I am in the exact same situation... I have to take 1.5 hour lunches to go home and walk Molly. I do pay a petsitter 3 days per week also, however, and only do it twice a week myself. I pay her $15 for a half hour walk. I plan to give her a "Christmas bonus", maybe $50, because I am so appreciative.

By the way, I found her on petsit.com. I don't know what a person has to do to be affiliated with them - Petsitters International - (i.e., what credentials) but if your sister wants to start a business, that's another thing that might help get her customers.

-laura

PS I just posted a question on this board asking how your Cavs spend their days. It's related to this subject, so I thought I'd mention it here.
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=210028#post210028

Back