• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Close call

Cathy T

Had a close call with a Rottie this morning! We went to Fiesta Island to play. A woman with 2 Rotties said she had lost her car keys. I was talking to her and she said not to approach one of the dogs that he wasn’t dog friendly (so what the he** are you doing with a non-dog friendly at an off-leash area??!!) I put Jake and Shelby is a sit-stay and stayed on the hillside talking to her. All of a sudden the male lunged at us, yanking the woman to the ground and pulling her, she couldn’t hold on to the leash and the dog attacked Shelby. Poor little baby was trying to get away and the dog just scrabbled after her. He got her by the neck and tried to shake her, I was pounding on his back screaming at him and he let go. The woman got ahold of the dog and was apologizing profusely. I took both dogs up to the hill and sat down with Shelby. I was shaking so badly I was afraid I was going to pass out. I was so overcome with emotion. Shelby was shaking but she appeared to be okay. I checked her out thoroughly, gave the woman my business card (she did call shortly after we got home to be sure we were okay and said that she will never again take the dog out like that, it wasn’t her dog it was her daughter’s) and decided it would be best not to leave immediately since I didn’t want that to be Shelby’s last impression. We went down onto the beach where there were 4 women with some labs. I asked if the labs were okay with small dogs, they said absolutely, so we went to mix a little (I wanted Shelby to immediately be with a bigger dog so the attack wouldn’t imprint on her). As soon as I started to tell them what happened I completely lost it and broke down sobbing. They were so kind to me, holding me while I cried, checking out Shelby to be sure she really was okay and just let me get it out of my system (I’m great during a crises…but afterwards….watch out!) In talking, one of the women commented that she was house/dog sitting for someone with Cavaliers….wouldn’t you know it….it’s one my board of directors!! We had a nice little talk then I packed the pups up into the car and headed home. I put Shelby in the shower and cleaned her up so I could inspect her really well. She has a couple of pink marks on her neck but thankfully the skin isn’t broken. She appears to be okay but I’ll keep a close eye on her for the rest of the day and I think we’ll take a cuddle nap together! I’m telling you….had that dog wanted to kill her, he could have. I’m just so glad we’re all okay. Although a bit shaken up.

Oh has long has you are all Ok that the main thing I know that when Barney got attack last year I was alright till I got home then the tears came hope that you will keep us informed how you are
----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney----Sam)

We had a similar experience with a Jack Russell at the beach the last time, it attacked both the dogs, while their owner stood idly by playing bocce or something. IF YOUR DOG ISN'T FRIENDLY, THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS AT THE DOG BEACH!!! :mad:

Oh Cathy i am so glad that ye are okay, u must have being so afraid!! :hug: for you and the lil women!! hope ye are ok:flwr:

Oh my goodness how frightening. I hope you both get over it soon. My sister won't go in the park right opposite her house because an German Shepherd attacked her dog there. She (my sister) had to fight it off, she was a right state after. The owner begged her to call the police so someone would take her dog as this wasn't the first time it had attacked. So she must have let this happen on purpose. Give me strength!

Give Shelby a special cuddle from her Auntie Pauline xx

Last edited:
Cathy,
what a frightening encounter. Im so sorry to hear that happened to you, shelby and jake.
Im glad that you are all ok and i can totally understand how you can break down after that. I even had tears in my eyes reading it!
Im sure you'll all enjoy a well deserved cuddle nap.
Hoping your all ok.

I'm glad Shelby and you are OK. There have been a couple of times when I've had Annie on the leash unleashed dogs have lunged at her. Fortunately neither dog managed to get ahold of her, but it's a scary experience nevertheless.

Take it nice and easy for the rest of the day. You,ve had a shock. She will forget it. A big dog hopped on Phoebe last year and it took a couple of seconds to separate them. She was screaming. Judging by the way she goes up to big dogs with her tail wagging she has it all forgotten!!:rah:

Am so pleased you are all ok. It really annoys me as there are plenty of places people can take uncontrolable dogs out, why go in public areas and let them off the lead?? It is so irresponsible and unfair on people like you who spend the time training and looking after your pups properly.
Give them both extra cuddles and am sure they'll be ok!

Oh Cathy I am so sorry to hear that!! That woman should not have had that dog there if it wasn't reliable around other dogs :swear: OK she warned you but...........!
This could have been a lot worse and you did the right thing to expose Shelby to other larger dogs as soon as you could!
Watch her neck though even though the skin does not appear punctured, teeth into skin is never good, they have so much bacteria on their teeth it is similar to an injection, if it looks or feels even slightly swollen get her to the vet and onto anti-Biotics as soon as you can OK? :hug:

A big kiss and a gentle :hug: to Shelby and one for you too, I think you need it! :hug:

Oh thts is awful,alfs was attacked,when it happens it is so quick,i hope you guys are ok,take it easy.love jus.

Watch her neck though even though the skin does not appear punctured, teeth into skin is never good, they have so much bacteria on their teeth it is similar to an injection, if it looks or feels even slightly swollen get her to the vet and onto anti-Biotics as soon as you can OK

Thanks for the info Cathryn. I will definitely keep an eye on her. I was going to run her into the vet's but they said if it wasn't an emergency I would have to do a drop off and pick her up later. I figured she'd been through enough trauma for one day! Will definitely keep an eye on her. She's snoozing on the couch right now and doing just fine.

That dog should have never been at the Island. It's a huge place but just not good for unfriendly dogs. Normally we never would have even approached them. She asked if I had seen any keys and we started to talk for a minute when it happened. She did call and was very apologetic. It's her daughter's dog and she said the dog will not be out around other dogs after this. Really scared her badly. The dog flat out dragged her across the dirt in his anxiousness to get to Shelby. I'm just so thankful it turned out okay.

Thanks for all of your kind words. They means a lot and we're feeling much better.

So glad you are all ok, and home safe and sound, a big :hug: from all of us,

People who can't control a dog, be it theirs or someone elses have no business walking them in a dog friendly area

Sorry to hear of your frightening experience I get so angry with inconsiderate people and their vicious dogs, Twice Alfie has been attacked by large dogs. The usual remark from the owner is "he;s never done that before. I feel so sorry for cavaliers as they dont have aggression and Alfie has been really upset both times its happened. Hope you and Shelby are feeling better now.

Oh, I got teary-eyed just reading your story!

I have to admit I had an experience that was not even REMOTELY as dangerous as yours... a small dog came over to me and Molly on the street (owner running after and desperately trying to catch him) and was chasing Molly around me, growling. After the owner caught up to us and grabbed his dog and walked away, I was shaken! I was surprised at my reaction, but I'll tell you, the thought of any danger to Molly brings out a lot of emotion in me.

Good for you for thinking of immediately exposing Shelby to other large dogs! Not sure I would have had the wherewithal to do that.

A cuddle nap sounds so nice... I'm sure it did wonders for you all. :D
-laura

Oh how upsetting - I'm so glad Shelby is ok. That makes me so angry when people take dangerous dogs like that out in the public. It is impossible to control a dog like a Rottweiler when it's in attack mode. :sl*p: What was that woman thinking when she brought them there?! And really I often wonder why anyone would have a dog they cannot control to begin with.

Oh Cathy what a horrible experience. I am so glad that there is no physical damage done. I just can not understand why people insist in keeping nasty dogs. I don't care if that nastiness is not aimed at humans, or if the dog is kept on a leash.... I mean truly.... the world is full of nice dogs, why keep a nasty one.

I am so sorry this happened to you & yours & I hope the memory fades enough that you can enjoy your doggie outings again.

:hug:

Oh, poor Shelby and poor you :(. I'm so glad Shelby is OK now and hopefully the attack won't have any lasting effect on her. Cassie got attacked by a JRT on the beach - he caught her just under the eye and wouldn't let go. My Dad had to fight him off and got bitten. Cassie had to get stitches under her eye. It's such a frightening experience and you will probably be more cautious which dogs you go near (which is not necessarily a bad thing), I know we are, we avoid JRTs completely now if we see them coming.

:hug: :hug:

What an awful experience for you all. There is nothing worse than having a dog attack yours. Poor Cinders has been bitten twice by Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and not long ago Minnie got attacked by a cocker spaniel and got bitten on the inside of her nose. You just deal with the situation at the time then afterwards it all comes out!! Lots of hugs to you and Shelby:hug: :hug:

Back