• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about how your Cavaliers spend their days

lb0024

Hello all,

I wanted to ask you all how your pups spend their days. I am guilt-ridden that Molly has to stay home alone all day, 5 days per week, while I'm at work. Granted, I knew this before getting her, but she's my first dog (as an adult) and I thought she would be fine. But now that I actually have my living, breathing, little angel, I feel that the arrangement I thought would work (half hour walks during the middle of the day) might not be sufficient after all. I don't want to give her up for anything, but I want her to have the best life she possibly can.

My plan was also to take her to doggie daycare 2 days per week, but she hates riding in the car so I don't want to put her through that until she has overcome that problem. (We're working on it.)

So I was wondering how many of you are in this same position (working full time), and how you feel about it, how you think you Cavalier feels about it and has fared, etc. I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, etc. that you can provide. :(

Oh, one other thing... now that she is house broken, I have an Xpen hooked to her crate and leave her a few toys and treats and water. She does willingly go into the xpen when I leave every morning, so it doesn't seem like she minds this arrangement. Believe me, I can TELL that she hates riding in the car (sad eyes, flattening herself to the floor so I can't pick her up, etc.).

Thanks,
-laura

Hi,
I am a teacher so I don't work as long as others. I leave the house at 8.30 and I'm home around 4 to 4.30.
She sleeps the entire day and I know she's happy because she's still in the chair when I get home. I still would prefer if I was with her all of the time but that is not practical It's good that I have a lot of holidays!! She stays inside in the kitchen and is snug as a bug in a rug ,in great comfort so that's better then what some poor dogs are subjected to.
So I hope that helps and gives you some hope and comfort.
Brid

I know how you feel---I used to feel like that when I first got Oliver. Im a teacher, too, so my days arent too long. I just gave him plenty of attention and long walks--quality time- when I was there so eventually I didnt feel too badly leaving him.

He is 2 and a half and I just got him a new brother today!

I think it sounds like you have set up a good arrangement that works around your working lfe. Getting her to daycare two days a week will really be nice for her. An animal companion is even better, maybe something to consider for the future. When homing rescues I prefer to home where there will be another dog if people work all day. But I'd be happy as well with the arrangement you have, as a second best option. :) A second dog won't work for many people, for many reasons.

On the driving -- she should either be harnessed to a seatbelt with a specially designed dog safety harness, or be in a crate, never loose (it sounds like she may be loose?). Many dogs are scared because they can move around and see out and this makes them anxious. Most dogs are most comfortable in a crate that is seatbelted in so that it can't be thrown forward in a collision. This gives maximum protection and also many emergency serices will not attempt to rescue a loose dog but will remove a dog in a crate (for safety, write the dog's name, your number, and your vet's contact details on the crate in permanent ink). If she is loose, she can be hurled at many times the speed of the car into the windscreen, seatback, or into a person with serious or fatal results for all involved. If she is in the front she risks being injured or killed by an airbag, same as babies or toddlers. So safety should be paramount, and you can use the safety plus of a crate to help with her fear of the car.

If she is still afraid inside a crate on the back seat, lightly drape a towel or sheet over the crate to block her view. Try not feeding her before a journey as well. A dark sheet is even better as dim light is calming.

Also, put on a classical station and resist the temptation to fuss over her or make soothing noises -- this just reinforces her fear by suggesting to her that you too are fearful, f drives are stressful, and that you both need consolation. Instead, talk to her cheerfully if you want or just let the music play, which will blur out the road noises and pay no attention to her (dogs can pick up on your anxiety). (y)

I am sure you can get her right into daycare by transporting her in a crate. I transport rescue dogs this way all the time and many have never been in a car. At worse they may whine or bark but ignore that and it usually stops after a bit. Classical music is an excellent soother for animals. :)

I completely understand your feelings of guilt about leaving Molly for an extended period of time, because we've had the same feelings about Annie. It's not an ideal situation to leave a dog by herself all day, but sometimes it can't be avoided due to our busy lives.

Annie generally spends most of the day in her "House" (wire kennel with a comfy bed inside). Fortunately my office is very close to home, so I generally come home every day at lunch to let her out and play with her a little. There have been days, however, when I'm not able to get home and she has to spend most of the day in there. With the girls home from school for the summer, it's not as much of an issue.

For a while I set up a webcam to watch her during the day. She pretty much sleeps all day. And she seems to like her comfy house. So we don't worry as much about leaving her alone anymore.

My answer to this is "have more than one dog". I know it isn't practical for everyone, but decades ago, having seen the pleasure that 2 dogs have together I made the decision that I would never again have only 1 dog.

My three are in a large kitchen with baby gates during the day. One of us has always come home at lunch time to take them out in the back yard/garden to play - now my sister does. There are french doors from the kitchen to outside, so they can watch birds, bunnies, and squirrels. They are always asleep when I come home.

On the driving -- she should either be harnessed to a seatbelt with a specially designed dog safety harness, or be in a crate, never loose (it sounds like she may be loose?).

Oh, no... she is never loose. Always harnassed! :)

Many dogs are scared because they can move around and see out and this makes them anxious.

She cannot see out, actually, because the seat is too low (or the window is too high!?)... I thought being able to see out might actually help so I put her on a couple of pillows, but she still can barely see out. I think she is more comfy on the pillows, though. :D

Most dogs are most comfortable in a crate that is seatbelted in so that it can't be thrown forward in a collision... So safety should be paramount, and you can use the safety plus of a crate to help with her fear of the car.... Try not feeding her before a journey as well. A dark sheet is even better as dim light is calming.

She has ridden in a crate (seatbelted in)... that was a while ago, but she still got car sick. I never feed her before taking her in the car. For the longer trips, I might try the crate again with your suggestion of a dark sheet, but not sure how realistic that is when you just want to take a ride to Petco or the dog park that's 5 minutes away...?

At worse they may whine or bark but ignore that and it usually stops after a bit. Classical music is an excellent soother for animals. :)

She never whines or barks (thank goodness) but I might try classical music instead of country for a change. I know there are some people who get sick just listening to country music. :)

I did a search online for car sickness and found a lot of pages that say pretty much what this one says:
http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/AnimalServices/pettips/dogtips/incars.aspx

I have been doing this and it seems to be helping. Before I started this process, Molly would begin salivating as soon as I put her in the car. Now, I'm able to back out of the garage and drive back in after a few minutes. Next step is a ride down the street! ;)

Thank you so much for all the information. It is very much appreciated.
-laura

I went through the same "guilty" feelings with leaving Chester in the day time.

He is nearly a year now & definatley knows the routine. When it's time for us to go to work he goes in the kitchen & waits for his little treat. I leave the radio on for him, lots of toys & also his treat ball.

Someone always goes home at lunchtime to let him out & play with him. But most of the time I know he has been sleeping as his treat ball hasnt moved, nor his toys & he hasnt drunk any water. I know he plays around a bit more in the afternoon but even then I am pretty sure he sleeps for the majority of the time. When I get home I can see him jump out of his bed & sit by the gate to make it look like he's been waiting all day!

I dont think the guilty feeling ever goes away, you both just get used to the routine. I know he'd rather have us around all day and I would much prefer to be there but at the moment it's just not possible and as much as I would like to get him a little friend, it's just not the right time.

In the meantime, we spoil him rotten in the evenings & over the weekends.

i have recently started work,its 2 and half hrs ,5 days a week and i feell guilty for that.I have padlocked the gate and he can go in and out when he pleases,so thats good.But it does pull at the old heart stings.Since going to work though he has done a couple of naughty things,which i am afraid to say i do giggle at,they arnt serios things so he still gets a talking to,for which he has a Mad fit around the house.God i am useless.

I'm a children's nurse and work full time shifts. I try to work weekends for extra money and because my boyfriend is home at weekends for Sally. I am constantly juggling my shifts around Sally and find late shifts are better too because she's on her own less. It isn't easy though because I don't always want to be working opposite to my boyfriend so once in a while Sally has to be left. She doesn't seem to mind. We leave her plenty of toys and water in the kitchen. When we are with her she's spoiled and walked every day. She's our little baby

We came back the other morning,Alfs had pulled Ellas paintings down of the wall and shredded them,she was angry,so i told her that he hadnt liked them and she had to do a portrate of him,so she laughed after that.

I am with my Aoife most of the time. I work, but since having her, the hours have been inconsistent & usually if not always of an evening. However, last week, me & my OH went to London & I had to leave her behind with my sister for 3/4 days. My sister works full time & my brother is still at school, so she was on her own all day for the first time ever really. She hasn't coped well at all (though they said she was no problem at all). Possibly due to starting her teething at that time too. Since she's been home, she has been absolutely dreadful even if you leave the room for the toilet she barks & whines. Before, she would have perhaps barked once if she was wide awake. I'm worried too because a week on Monday I have a job for a week that is full time with no lunch break etc. She's going to drive the neighbours mad. :confused:

When Scout first came to live with me she spent a lot of time in her crate. I work fulltime 40 hrs a week. Now my Mom, who lives two houses away, comes over and gets her between 11a and 1p. I leave my house for work around 6a. For the past few weeks I have been leaving her out of the crate in the morning when I go to work and if I have to run out on the weekend. She's been doing really well. She's 15 months old. Only one incident where she 'dug out' my coax cable running from my TV to the computer. I'm not sure how she even knew it was there, It's pushed out of sight. She did chew that, but nothing else so far.

However, I do understand the guilt factor. Just do the best that you can. You give your puppy love, attention, take her for walks, play with her, cuddle with her. Give her good food and keep her safe. That does count for something. Plus if that's her/your routine that's all she knows and thinks is normal. Don't be too hard on yourself.

My two have a full time mommy (me) and although it might be PERFECT for them, it's not perfect for me.....I need to find a work at home job. Anyway, even with a full time mom, my two still have a 3 hour nap in the afternoon....and I am quite sure they would be ok if it was a 4 hour nap! So, my guess is that when your Molly is home, she is doing a lot of sleeping. I would think that if she could go to doggie day care a few times a week, & maybe have someone look in on her during the day when she is at home, she will be just fine. Finding a balance is not easy...just do your best & plenty of attention when you're with her.

More tips for car training:

Every now and then, put the dog in the car while it is parked. Give the dog a special treat--something it LOVES and doesn't get. Cooked chicken is a good choice if it isn't part of the dogs daily diet.

Once the dog eats the treat, praise it, and take it out of the car. This way, the dog learns that going in the car is SPECIAL and it likes the idea. It will willingly go in without fear.

You will probably find that as you take your dog to dog-happy places like training classes or daycare, these fun times serve as a reward at the end of the car trip. The dog will associate going in the car with arriving at these wonderful places, and the car anxiety will decrease.

Good luck!

For a while I set up a webcam to watch her during the day. She pretty much sleeps all day. And she seems to like her comfy house. So we don't worry as much about leaving her alone anymore.

Oh! I was thinking of doing the same thing... but I never got around to it (have to go buy the cam). Maybe I still should do it. I'd love to be able to see her any time I want, and know she is (hopefully) content in her "room".

Was it easy to set it all up?

-laura

But most of the time I know he has been sleeping as his treat ball hasnt moved, nor his toys & he hasnt drunk any water....
In the meantime, we spoil him rotten in the evenings & over the weekends.

Yeah, when I get home, Molly's toys haven't moved so I know she isn't playing with anything. And sometimes I can hear her get up from her crate so I know she was sleeping. One time, though, I hid two halves of a small milkbone under the blankie in her crate. When I came home, they were gone. So I know her nose didn't stop working... or her mouth. :D I was hoping she enjoyed finding that extra treat.

I do try to spoil her in the evenings and weekends. I have let her chew/destroy my slippers (among other items), go anywhere she wants on her walks, and collect all the items she wants while walking (sticks, pinecones, dunkin' donuts napkins, etc). I feel like if she gets that much joy out of eating my stinky old slippers, it's more important to me to let her do that than being able to keep my feet warm. Ha! (Anyway, I used it as an excuse to buy myself a new pair.)

-laura

Back