• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our First Night

Holly

I promise to post pics--I have to get the cord to upload them from my friend!! Hopefully today!

Things went smoothly yetsterday- not a single accident in the house and he pottied outside every time I took him out! I put him in his crate at 10:30 for bedtime and didnt hear another peep out of him! I woke up at 3:30 and debated whether to wake him up to take him outside. I did becaue I didnt want him to go in his crate at some point, though I know they typically dont. Put him back in his crate and he didnt wake up whining until a little until 7:30 this mornng.

My question is, should I be taking him out in the middle of the night or just let him sleep until he wakes me up? He is 12-weeks old. He was paper trained at the breeders but I dont want to do that.

Hi Holly

No, don't wake him up. You know the saying "let sleeping dogs lie" :D We got Beau at 8 weeks of age and I would take him out to the toilet just before we went to bed (around 11:00 pm) and then he would sleep right through to about 7 or 8. At first I always carried him from his crate to outside for his morning pee, as I figured he'd probably stop on the way if I didn't. Anyway, I think that if you start waking him up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet, he will get into this habit, which of course you don't want. Provided you don't let him guzzle too much water late at night he should not have any trouble holding on till morning.

Hi!

I agree, don't wake him up you could be making a rod for your own back by doing this! Let him tell you when he needs out, or you could be getting up in the middle of the night for a VERY long time to come!!
Don't leave any water in with him either, it will possibly get knocked over in the night, which could lead him to believe it's ok to wet an already wet bed! Not to mention he should really sleep right through and not need a drink anyway!!

Can't wait to "meet" this little chap!!

Sounds good- thanks! No, I definitely dont want to train him to wake up in the middle of the night!

Oliver was pretty easy as a puppy, but I cant believe how laid back and happy this little guy is! His tail is constantly wagging. He seems to be agreeable to everything! And, I am shocked that he hasnt yet had an accident in the house! I know he will, but I thought it would have already happened. Luckily, I have hardwoods throughout, so I think I may just take up the area rugs ufor now, just in case.

He isnt doing any "puppy mouthing" or reall chewing on anything except his toys! I am probably jinxing myself by talking about this! :)

I remember when I brought home my puppy & being astounded at the pace she was picking things up, how good she was at training (toilet & otherwise!). Now I put it down to having the experience of having previously having a dog rather than starting/learning anew like I did last time! Could it be that?

We got Dixie at about 11 weeks, and she slept through the night from the first night. We took her out about 10:30-11:00 at night and she would sleep until around 8:00 (sometimes even 8:30) the next morning without a peep. I couldn't believe it. She was the best. I never got up with her at night. So, yea maybe your little guy is the same. He sounds perfect. Can't wait to see the pics.

That could be it-- Oliver was my first dog and I distinctly remember feeling a bit overwelmed at first! I have had a few twinges of that with this new baby- it's just such a big responsibility having a new puppy-but he has been great!

Back