• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Im at OSU with Bentley

BarbMazz

I'm sitting here in my hotel with Bentley on my lap. He's very tired after two hours of preliminary testing. He IS able to participate in the PSOM study tomorrow! I'm both happy and sad; happy that he is helping with research and that I may have more answers, and sad that he has to go through all the testing tomorrow.

The cardiologist did hear a "click" in the left side of his heart :( so I wasn't happy to hear that. He will need to see a cardiologist in a year. This cardiologist said it may be nothing to worry about but a good idea to have him checked next year to see if anything changes. And, of course, if any symptoms appear I am to get him to a cardiologist at that time.

The neuro exam found that he has some sensitivity in his lower cervical spine. Dr Cole said they have no idea why this may be, but that most of the Cavaliers she has studied have sensitivity there. Dr Cole explained that between the CAT scan and a skull xray they do that if there is evidence of occipital dysplasia they can usually tell. She said that almost all the Cavaliers she's seen have had evidence of the malformation :( :confused: :mad: . That is very disheartening news to say the least.

Parts of his eardrums on both sides are bulging, which can be a sign of PSOM. His bloodwork was all within normal limits.

I am so interested to see the results tomorrow! I take him in at 7:30am (YIKES) and will be able to pick him up later in the afternoon... like 4 or 5:00. It's going to be a very long day! Fortunately, there are lots of things to see around here, and the hospital provided me with a wonderful info sheet with directions, etc. I'm planning on seeing a movie in the afternoon...seems like a good way to help the time pass more quickly!

So, if I might ask, please keep little Bentley in your thoughts tomorrow, that he will handle the anesthesia okay, and make it through the tests smoothly. :xfngr: :paw: I love him so much!

Will be thinking of you and Darling Bentley tomorrow - it's wonderful that you are able to particiapate in the research, just so sorry that you are going through this...

Approx 90% of Cavaliers have some degree of malformation - that sounds frightening, but many will never have any symptoms. It is only the more severely affected that will have problems.

Sorry to hear that Bentley may have the start of a murmur too - if he was slightly stressed with the tests and exams he has had today, that would make a murmur more apparent. It is sensible to have it checked though.

Please keep us posted, we are sending lots of positive thoughts for Bentley.

Hi Barb!

Will be thinking of you and Bentley tomorrow, I hope that all the tests do give you answers and that you have a way forwards from that. It is, as Nicki has pointed out, not unusual for a dog in a strange/stressful situation to show a murmur, I have had girls certificated clear who when whelping have had to have a bit of help from the vets, these girls have often had a slight murmur at that time only for it to have dissapeared when they are checked over a few days later, so try not to worry about that right now, Bentley may have been picking up on your own stress as well.

Anyway :xfngr: for the tests tomorrow, I will certainly be thinking of you both!! :hug:

We're keeping fingers and paws crossed here for you. Best of luck with the results. Hugs to you as you wait. Glad you're keeping busy.

Barb - will be thinking and praying for you both tomorrow. Glad you have some things to do to keep your mind occupied....movie sounds like a great idea.

You and Bentley are in our thoughts. Fingers are crossed that all goes well. Give Bentley and extra hug from us. :hug:

Hope all goes well today for you and Bentley. I am sure it will be a horribly long day...keeping you and Bentley in my thoughts.

Thank you, everyone, for your lovely thoughts and wishes. :flwr:

I'm back to the hotel after dropping him off. He had a very good sleep last night, but he was disappointed there was no breakfast for him this morning! ;)

I'm going to hang around here until a bit later as the stores don't open until later.

I'll post again later when I hear something, or pick him up...whichever comes first!

Barb--Prayers and hugs to you and little Bentley. It'll be good to have some definite answers after its all over with. Be good to yourself today...:)

I am thinking of you and Bently. It is great that Bently is part of the survey but I sure can understand you feelings about all the tests. I will be glad for you when you are both safely tucked up back at home. :flwr:

Back