PDA

View Full Version : dairy products

jld
19th July 2007, 10:55 PM
I was wondering if yogurt,cheese or other dairy products were ok to feed to dogs? I read on another post not to give dairy products to dogs?????

Cathryn
19th July 2007, 11:51 PM
Hi!!

Personnally I think the odd bit of cheese etc as a tidbit is OK, but dairy products can contain bacteria's that will set off a Cavaliers stomach, the only exception to the rule I know of is if your dog is on Anti-Biotics which can strip the gut of all it's natural "active" Flora, then I would give "live" yogurt to re-balance the guts natural flora.

Just my own personnal experience!

Caraline
21st July 2007, 12:03 AM
All my guys enjoy a wide range of dairy products. I only give them small amounts of regular cheese as it is high in fat but they regularly get yoghurt, cottage cheese & cows milk. We've never had any problems with dairy products.

Mary
21st July 2007, 12:08 AM
I too routinely give cottage cheese and yogurt. Occasionally hard cheese. No problems with small amounts.

Nicki
21st July 2007, 08:40 PM
Some dogs do not tolerate milk very well, particularly cows milk. Goats milk is better tolerated.

Mine like cottage cheese, yoghurt and occasionally hard cheese as a tidbit!

KingstonsMom
22nd July 2007, 09:05 AM
You could try giving just a little bit of cheese to your pup and see how he/she reacts. Kingston gets a very upset stomach when he eats dairy, so I never feed it to him.