• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Skin problems

sallymum

Just had Coco back down in vets because of his skin, god love him he is tearing at himself also all his fur is falling out with all the scratching. They took a skin scrape will get the results back this evening,
thinks he might have a allergy but took the scraping just in case. Gave me a wash also an injection to reduce the itching.
Does anyone have any advise on how i can make things easier on him.

My Golden has terrible skin allergies. His show up in the warmer months. I've found that his food has everything to do with it and the warmer weather makes it worse. If he's on the same food for too long his body forms an allergy to it. You might try switching food with a different protein and see if it helps. IMO skins problems are almost always related to food allergies. You might also add some fish oil to Coco's food if you don't already.

I hope Coco feels better soon!! :)

Poor Coco!

Oatmeal shampoos or medicated shampoos can help. I'd try him on the James Wellbeloved fish diet as that is good for allergies (an unusual protein for dogs) and not as expensive as the Hills diet they will probably recommend!

But he has probably been fed crap food and it may well just be a reaction to additives and a simple, good food like James Wellbeloved or Burns may well do the trick.

He could have something like rabbit mites too.

Skin scrappings came back clear, so not mange or mites. TG. I will try the shampoo and also the food u recommend. We dont have either of them around here. What about RC sensitivity.I will also try fish oil. Never seem to get a straight forward cav. Ah well i love them anyway.

Poor little man. Remember too that not all allergies are food related. When I was growing up we had an adorable little x-breed that was fiercely allergic to grass. It certainly made her life miserable & complicated as any time she walked on or lay on grass she'd be ripping herself to pieces with the itch.

This is just to make you laugh allthough not funny at the time.When Alfie was about 6 months we started giving him spicey crisps,he Loved them,but after about a month i noticed his fur starting to fall out and he was getting bald patches.I took him to the vet she asked what we were feeding him and of course it was the crips,so as soon as we stopped his fur started to grow,but he did miss his crisps and still does.Pringles are his favorite.

Sorry had to laugh poor Alfie. thats the prob i dont know what he was fed before i got him. At the moment i have him on Red Mill Leader, probly not the best trying to find a food for him that we have local, the only one i can find at the moment is RC at my local vets but like to hear if anyone has used this.

Id try him on any James Wellbeloved flavour; doesn't need to be fish, or the RC sensitive. The latter is a good place to start.

W e have Alfie on RC.Does well on it.Just to say it was the Chiles in the crisps ,his body temp.was so hot he was just scratcing all the time,i did feel stupid,hes not alowed them any more,poor dog,mind you if one drops on the floor he will grab it as fast as he can.

oil

At the veterenary you can buy a good oil, that is good for the skin.
I feed my dogs with Orijen + I give them some oil and there coat is fine.:)

Barney had problems of itchy skin, flakes and dull hair. I changed his food to james Wellbeloved and give him Vetzyme dry skin nutrional oil, it's made a big difference, he has a nice shiny coat now and just has the occaisonal itch.

i ordered james wellbeloved on the internet just before i left dublin. unfortunately i can't remember the website, but check all of the irish ones like petbliss.ie etc... and i'm sure you can find it. it's not cheap, but it worked out less to have james wellbeloved delivered than to buy the hills that our vets had!!! indy also thrived on it---it's such a pity i can't get it here.

Back