• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Soreness after shots?

anniespeeps

We took Annie to the vet last night for her annual checkup and shots. She got three shots -- rabies, DHLPPC and kennel cough.

She was fine during the shots. In fact she kissed the vet on the nose during one of them! But about a minute later she started yelping, scurrying around the room and trying to scratch the scruff of her neck where she got the shots. The vet said that some dogs have that reaction to the kennel cough shot, but we had never seen a dog react like that before. She did that for a minute or so, then was fine when we took her home.

This morning she was still a little sore and whimpered a few times when Denise picked her up. Does this sound normal?

Dave

I ALWAYS highly suggest spacing shots out. IF your dog has a BAD reaction, you won't know what caused it. I NEVER give rabies with anything else. Corona virus shot isn't usually suggested-- lepto is only suggested if it is an issue in your area-- and then I would give separately. MY vet doesn't give lepto to small indoor dogs unless we ask for it.

By giving a 6 in one and kennel cough and Rabies-- they have inodated her body with 8 different irritants at the same time. I really don't know why some vets still do this.

Here is some things to consider:

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Last edited:
I have had a couple of mine cry after their shot too. The medicine stings just like when we have a shot. It is actually better to only do one vaccination at a time if you can. That way if there is an allergic reaction you will know which one is causing it. Also it is better not to challenge their immune system with so much at one time. They can be sore following injections for a little while.

Actually, I'm not sure if the second shot was a DHLPPC. I don't have the paperwork in front of me, and I was making an assumption there. There were three shots.

Also- I ask my vet to give ANY shot in the thigh. I want to keep all aggravating, and possibly inflammatory things away from a cavaliers brain and spine.

Sorry if I seem very opinionated. We lost our 2.5 year old Britney to a "surprise autoimmune disease" that happened about a month after a dhlpp and rabies shot. Her body was destroying itself, she was in awful pain and we had to put her down. She was still a baby-- way too young to die.

No need to apologize. It's perfectly understandable after what you've been through. I guess we just assumed that the vet would always do what's best for our dog.

Our Cavaliers always get their shots all at one time. My vet insists we give them Benedryl right after the shots and then 1 the following morning. They always act like nothing happened.

I think we all start out believing everything our vets (and human doctors) tell us and along the way you find out they too are only human. I had a UWof Madison vet try to put my dog on steroids due to low platelets-- Low platelet numbers can be very common in cavaliers. I had another insist my dog had a liver shunt-- we did 1000 dollars in test to prove him wrong and me right. I wish my boy hadn't had the nuclear syntigraphy - now I worry about all the radiation he went through. Now I research everything first and ask tons of questions.

I think all our vets try to do the best they can with the knowledge they have but I think we have to give them a break....they are dealing with an awful lot of needed knowledge to take care of so many species unlike human doctors who care for one species..humans. You are so right Sandy. It is our duty to gather all the knowledge we can, ask lots of questions and together we as a team (our vet and us) can make a decision regarding the health care of our pets. This board is one wonderful source to gather that knowledge.

I think all our vets try to do the best they can with the knowledge they have but I think we have to give them a break....they are dealing with an awful lot of needed knowledge to take care of so many species unlike human doctors who care for one species..humans. You are so right Sandy. It is our duty to gather all the knowledge we can, ask lots of questions and together we as a team (our vet and us) can make a decision regarding the health care of our pets. This board is one wonderful source to gather that knowledge.

Those are very good points, Mary. Not only do vets have to deal with different species, but different breeds that all have unique health issues. Unfortunately Cavaliers are fairly rare in these parts, and many people (vets included) aren't familiar with all of their issues.

I truly appreciate the knowledge base on this board. It's very comforting to know that there are so many knowledgeable people on this board who can offer advice if we need it.

Dave

I would suggest never get him shots in the neck it is way too sensitive.
I always get the rabies shot a month before their other shots but my cav gets very sore for 24 hours after his DHLP-P shot, he won't even walk around much.
judy

I would suggest never get him shots in the neck it is way too sensitive.
I always get the rabies shot a month before their other shots but my cav gets very sore for 24 hours after his DHLP-P shot, he won't even walk around much.
judy

That makes me feel much better. Next time we'll know to ask for the shots in the thigh. It was just strange, because she didn't have any problems a year ago, and she was a lot smaller then.

this is news to me...so I should ask for all shots given in the thigh?? My pup just had her shots yesterday with no ill effects today.

That makes me feel much better. Next time we'll know to ask for the shots in the thigh. It was just strange, because she didn't have any problems a year ago, and she was a lot smaller then.

Some reactions have an accumulative effect. The first shot makes the body respond very minimally-- then often subsequent shots have more negative responses.
My first cavalier came to me at 11 weeks, she needed two more of her puppy shots. So at 12 weeks she gets dhlpp-- and she is sore. The next shot 25 days later-- she is ill the next day and sore for two - three days. Then at age 2 she gets a dhlpp and she screams and cries if you touch her. She is very ill and she walks like a 15 year old dog-- each shot gave a more severe reaction. I left the lepto out of her shot when she was 4-- no bad reaction at all.

this is news to me...so I should ask for all shots given in the thigh?? My pup just had her shots yesterday with no ill effects today.

It isn't to forestall an immediate negative reaction. Some cavaliers have SM and it has been noted that to keep any irritant away from the brain and cervical spinal column could (and I say could) be a good thing. I asked my vet why they gave shots in the shoulder and he said he was taught to give them in the fleshy part of the thigh in vet school.

indy got his lyme disease and rabies boosters on thursday and had the same reaction. he was fine at the time, but started yelping later that night when he'd get up or change position. i called the vets the next morning and they told me that the rabies shot is very deep and can be quite sore. sure enough, it was only the right leg that hurt him. it took about a day and a half for him to be able to sit normally which made me feel very sorry for him, but now he's fine.

bobo was the opposite we got his rabie shot and he had no reaction then a month later he go the combonation shot dhlp and then he had a reaction soreness and yelping when he moved around.
judy

Back