• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any suggestions re food

marcelle

Hi, I am new to this website, so apologies if anyone has asked this before, my Jacky Boy (5 year old) has not been well this week, he has been in the hospital for 2 nights with a very bad tummy, and I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions as to what to feed him. I was given food by the Vet but he really is not keen on it at all, so I have given him a bit of chicken . Today I gave him some raw veg and apple. He is on medication and can be quite smelly to be around. Also is there anyone who is following the Barf diet, with a Cavalier? As I am considering changing his diet? I have friends following some of this diet but they don't have Caveliers. cavtiny

The breeder I got my dogs from swears by the raw food diet, but I feed a high quality kibble and add things like cottage cheese, scrambled egg, boiled chicken, etc...

Others will be able to advise you better, but for an upset stomach I believe its best to stick with very bland foods such as white rice, bolied, skinless plain chicken, and chicken broth (made from boiling the chicken, no salt). It seems to me that raw veg and apples might be too hard on his stomach at the moment! And, just a little bit of food at a time, I think!

If he was hospitalized that sounds very serious, so I would be inclined to follow the vet's instructions to the letter for the time being.

After your cav has recovered from the illness would be a good time to make decisions about changing his diet.:)

Any stomach bug you should only feed carbohydrates for a couple of days then start to introduce his feed a little at a time,it useally takes about 4 days before his normal amounts should start.

Welcome! :)

What Cathy says... I certainly wouldn't be adding odds and ends at the moment, certainly not things they can't really digest like raw fruit/veg which can also cause diarrhea in sensitive stomachs if he's been ill (they are great additions to a dog's diet but I'd wait til you have an OK from the vet for such things). I'd do exactly what the vet says and if he isn't eating, ask the vet what to do. If he was ill due to a food intolerance, chicken is one of the more common things that could cause allergies/intolerances so I'd talk to your vet on any change from his recommendation (chcken and rice is great for helping tummies recover after diarrhea etc but if the dog was hospitalised, this indicates something far more serious). Did your vet tell you what was wrong? Knowing that would be the starting point for planning any future diet.

Some dogs do very well on BARF, but just be aware this is a diet where people often tend to feel very strongly about BARF if they feed it. I have had a dog nearly go to the ER because of a raw chicken wing so I am not a strong fan of BARF as a result. There are risks which many feel are outweighed by health benefits they see. But I can testify that there are very definitely risks and that not all bones get pulverised and digest easily when they are raw (as opposed to cooked, which should not be fed as they can splinter badly). If you decide to feed BARF it is extremely important to read up thoroughly on dog nutrition as it is very easy to feed a totally imbalanced diet -- it is far more involved than feeding some raw meaty bones. Caraline has some good threads on what she feeds and how, and with book recommendations,if you wish to explore BARF further once your dog is well again. (y)

Hi there, I am so sorry that your dog is sick, I sure hope he is doing better. I would for sure follow what your vet recommends....but, my Cavalier Bentley used to get a lot of tummy upsets and diarrhea, and he was so sensitive regarding his food.....I made the switch to Innova Evo about 4 months ago, and his stools and his tummy have been a lot better. Perhaps you can ask your vet about that. But, when Bentley was having a lot of diarrhea and tummy troubles, I fed him a diet of boiled chicken and white rice, and that helped him.

Thank you all for your suggestions, the Vet did suggest the chicken and boiled rice, but said I should try and get him to take the recommended food as well. He really is not keen. The reason he was hospitalised was that he had a runny tummy, was vommiting and had a blood stool, so was very serious. Sorry for the gruesome detail. I am struggling to get him to take his tablets as well, he has to take so many at the moment. He looked quite sorry for himself tonight, so I am going to give him just the chicken and rice tomorrow with the recommended food. Before he became ill, I did have him on the Nature Diet, but this did not always agree with him, thats why I am considering changing. I really appreciate all your recommmendations its been great! Thanks.:dogwlk:

Hi Marcelle

I agree with what has already been said about just sticking with doing what you vet suggests for the time being. Having Jacky disinterested in his food is far more desirable to coaxing him to eat something that may upset his tummy again.

Re the BARF diet. Yes I've got my 2 Cavaliers & 1 Boxer on BARF and am very pleased with the results. It is a very popular way of feeding here in Australia and is fully supported by both my vet & all the instructors at our dog obedience club. If you are considering going BARF I'd very strongly recommend you delay this until well after the current tummy issues have settled down, as now is not the time to make changes. I would also highly recommend reading "Give you Dog a Bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst (book review here) as he seems to be the gun on the subject and has a quick & no-nonesense approach to food preparation. If you are interested in following my journey from feeding kibble, to cooked food & then the jump to BARF, you will find some posts in my little blog. You'll need to go back & read the earliest blog posts for this as other things have occupied my mind in the more recent posts.

Good luck with your little fellow. I sure hope the tummy issues settle down.

I am pleased to say Jack is back to his normal self tonight, it is day 4 today and what a difference, he is once again running off and barking at all sorts of noises and sounds as he usually does. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help once again! I will post a picture of him soon!
P.S. I forgot to mention what was wrong with him, he had an infection of the small intestine.:rah:

All of our 3 dogs are on BARF. The eldest one (Guinness) was on commercial food til he was 9 when the ongoing ear problems developed even more.

Don't think that he'll ever be 100% inthe ear department - but I think that I am doing the right thing. (He is now 11)
The other 2 - Bailey 1 year and Willow 2 years have only ever had barf.

From Billinghurst books - I understand that the raw food has live enzymes. We all have a finite amount of enzymes in us - these help our immune system and to break down our food. If we kill the enzymes in the food - then the other enzymes in our system must be used - reducing the immune system - and letting more infections to get further.

Before changing - Guinness would be at the vets fairly regularly for anal glands. Now I think in thte last 2 years it has been only once and then it wasn't so bad. They get hard stools from the bones - which pushes out the contents of the anal sac. The stools are loosened when we give them the veggie / mince / offal mush.

For those scared of feeding bones - Billinghurst suggests that you still give them it but mince up their bones. Not as good - as the bones clean their teeth - but at least they get the benefit of the right stuff.

For ours - I always use a meat cleaver to reduce the size of the bones that they eat - and if I feel really worried I would break the bones within the meaty chunks with the cleaver but not cutting right through the meat. It is second nature to me now. I have even considered a metal meat tenderiser to smash up the bones.

I think that you would do well to make the move.

Good luck to whichever path you take.

Glad to hear that Jack is feeling better. :rah: My Mia had lots of digestive issues including regular colitis (bloody stools) for some time after I brought her home at six months. I put her on prepared raw dog food (Natures Variety) soon after she came to be with me and she's had no sign of any sort of colitis or stomach upset since. She looks healthy and her coat is really shiny. Can't recommend it highly enough... :)

Back