PDA

View Full Version : Very scary wasp attack

Karlin
21st July 2007, 07:26 PM
I just took all the dogs out for a walk and wade in their favourite creek route through the park when suddenly they started shrieking and biting at themselves. I couldn't figure out what was going on til I realised Leo was crawling with wasps. :yikes He must have stumbled into a wasp nest and was just curled up on the ground whimpering. :( It was just heartbreaking; with his SM this is the last thing he needed. Jaspar was stung too, they all were. I picked about 10 wasps out of Leo's coat and had to carry him to the car, he wouldn't walk. Then I found about 5-6 more wsps -- I don't know how many actually stung him as his coat is fairly heavy but it must have been a few of those. I was so scared that he in particular might go into shock. Thankfully I'd brought my mobile and got the emergency vet number off the recording at my vet's. He assured me that unless they swelled up they would be OK and the pain would subside.

Jaspar and Leo both shivered all the way home and I could not pick up Leo without him crying, or even touch him. He can't settle either, he is obviously in pain. I gave him an extra gabapentin in case the pain from the stings intensifies his normal SM discomfort. He and the others did eat a piece of dried tripe; I was seeing if anything would turn his mind elsewhere and that helped briefly but I guess he will just have to sleep it off. I don't think it is worth going to get Benadryl as that is primarily for the swelling and neither is having any of those kinds of problems.

At any rate he seems to be improving now -- at least I can touch him. This is the weirdest incident I have ever had with the dogs and the scariest -- I've had a dog stung by a single bee but never had them attacked by a swarm of wasps. :cry*ing:

nlg679
21st July 2007, 07:46 PM
Oh so sorry!:(
We know how painful a wasp attack can be and because they can sting over and over again it is terrifying!

brid kenny
21st July 2007, 07:47 PM
karlin, that's awful. Let us know their progress. :xfngr: You have had a shock too. So take it nice and easy tonight all of you!

Cathy T
21st July 2007, 07:51 PM
Oh my gosh Karlin....how scary!! Hopefully everyone will be okay. Must have scared you to death. It just kills me when one of mine is crying in pain and I can't help them. As Brid said....a shock to you as well.

sallymum
21st July 2007, 07:51 PM
Doesnt bare thinking about. Poor babies and poor u, take it easy.

Cathy Moon
21st July 2007, 07:52 PM
OMG how upsetting - wasps are so much worse than bees because they can keep stinging without dying as bees do. Poor, poor Leo :hug: and the others - it's so hard to see them suffer. I hope he feels much better soon.

Things like these are totally out of our control, and that makes it so difficult.:( So sorry this happened to you and your doglets!

Holly
21st July 2007, 07:54 PM
Oh, how horrible!!! Poor babies...and you, too!! I hope they are soon feeling better and can put this scary incident behind them...you, too!

Karlin
21st July 2007, 08:06 PM
He's better now -- I can pick him up gently and roll him on his back without him crying out so the immediate intense pain must be gone. Clearly not a happy boy though nor is Jaspar. I've had a single wasp sting and it is really painful and the pain lasts for days at the site of the sting.

It was pretty stressful; I felt ill watching them in the car when you are wondering if you can drive them in time to where they need to go, if they need emergency care. One thing for sure -- I am putting the emergency number into my mobile.

Tonight will definitely be a quiet night and a pizza at home! I'll give them all a really nice treat a little later after he's had a chance to sleep for a while. We are all listening to Bach cello concertos at the moment to relax. :flwr:

Donna27
21st July 2007, 08:16 PM
Oh Karlin how scary! I'm so glad Jasper is doing better. I'd be terrified. Keep us posted and we're thinking about you guys!

loveisokay
21st July 2007, 08:21 PM
I think this is scary for anyone/thing that gets attacked - my mum has had this happen to her after cutting her hedge once! Poor boys! Cannot imagine the pain of it.

matties mum
21st July 2007, 08:23 PM
I am so sorry at lest they are alright you take care of your self has well have a quiet evening thinking of you all
----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Jen
21st July 2007, 08:28 PM
Oh this brought tears to my eyes---thinking of him just lying down because he was so scared. Poor little guy, he had no idea what was going on.:( How frightening for all of them, but yes, with SM I thought for sure you were going to write that he went into shock.:(

I'm so glad they are improving and just resting. I hope everyone is able to sleep well tonight. :flwr: :flwr:

Karlin
21st July 2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks all. I think the extra gabapentin helped Leo; it should also make him a bit sleepy now too. He was hardest to watch, he was just in so much pain, you could see it in the way he moved and the noises he was making. Then they come running to you for help like kids; Leo was trying to get into my lap.:( I am just glad it all seems to have settled down now an they are sleeping.

Jen
21st July 2007, 08:50 PM
Forgot to say, please have a drink!! I'm having one after just reading this! :o

:hug:

Karlin
21st July 2007, 08:56 PM
I have a glass of white wine on the table before me! :) Leo's asleep next to me and Jaspar at my shoulder on the back of the sofa. They'll get something tasty later on. :cool:

Justine
21st July 2007, 09:12 PM
hi if you have stings Vinager,onto the sting its brilliant,sorry about the dogs,I found one starting to build a nest in the shed,we destroyed the thing and why we were able to and why we were pulling it down wasps were attacking us.I hate them they attack for no reason.

Nicki
21st July 2007, 09:15 PM
Oh Karlin that's awful how frightening for you all :(

I know we worry even more when it's our affected dogs - they have enough to deal with.

I'm pleased that they have settled now and are asleep - that's the best thing for them.

I always carry the homoeopathic remedy Apis - it's made from a bee sting, but is very effective as an antihistamine. You can give it up to every 5 minutes, it has saved lives where the animal has been stung in the throat, as it brings the swelling down {which could block off the airway}.

I got stung by nettles in the garden this week, only had one dose and it took away completely all the redness, swelling and itching - it hasn't itched once.

You should be able to get it somewhere like Boots.

Karlin
21st July 2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks Nicki, I was thinking I definitely need something like that in the medicine cabinet. I'd heard of vinegar too, maybe I should have just doused Leo in it when we got home.

coconut
21st July 2007, 09:42 PM
karlin that is terrible i hope that ur babies are ok i have had one sting before and it was so painful!! give them big kisses

Justine
21st July 2007, 09:44 PM
I got stung twice,if you get the sting out then apply the vinager with a cotton wool pad or cloth soaked in it leave on the sting it will be gone within a hour,not sure about the dogs.Keep the cloth damp with the vinager till pain gone.

*Pauline*
21st July 2007, 10:31 PM
Oh my goodness, that must have been so frightening, wasp stings can really bruise you badly too. My daughter and I were stung last year and the bruises were huge, about 8" on my daughter.

I used to work in a hospital and on the way to work I got stung, I thought they'd probably laugh but as I passed A&E on the way to my dept. I popped in, they said use vinegar too. The acid in the vinegar neutralises the alkaline in the sting.

Oh, but I just read this!

http://www.insectstings.co.uk/sting-acid-or-alkali.shtml

I'd still try vinegar if I got stung though.

How are you all now?

Karlin
21st July 2007, 10:39 PM
That's an interesting website. It also says this, which explains why poor Leo got the brunt of the attack. :(

Another feature unique to the wasp and hornet is that the venom contains a pheromone which alarms all other wasps in the area and invites them to join the attack on the victim. Whilst one can see the evolutionary and defensive benefits of such an alarm system, it is particularly worrying for the victim. Whilst bees therefore do fly in swarms and have the reputation for attacking in swarms, do not let the comparitively solitary journey of the wasp deceive since not only can one wasp sting more than once, but it calls all wasps nearby to come and help.

*Pauline*
21st July 2007, 10:53 PM
OMG I missed that bit, so it's best to just do a runner I guess! :confused:

Jessieca
21st July 2007, 11:07 PM
WOW - that is absolutely horrible - I am SO sorry! I hope the gang feels better soon. I would be so upset if that happened to Bailey, I can only imagine how you must feel. I'm very sorry :(

Holly
21st July 2007, 11:35 PM
Karlin, what about Lily? Was she with you?

Rj Mac
22nd July 2007, 01:22 AM
I can't even begin to imagine how upsetting this was for you and your dogs Karlin, Hope you are all doing a bit better now, and are all a bit more settled,

Karlin
22nd July 2007, 01:38 AM
Lily seemed to emerge unscathed or maybe just one sting. She was wandering off at a distance from the other dogs and didn't have any wasps actually on her while Jaspar had a couple, but I was so focused on Leo who had clearly had multiple stings that I wasn't even paying that much attention to the other two. Jaspar had been stung but was uncomfortable more than distressed -- Leo was covered in wasps and literally moaning in pain and hardly moving. They were all caught up in his wet coat. :( I was just trying to get everyone on leads and back to the car, carrying Leo and still flicking wasps out of his coat and ears.

They are both back to themselves now after a long nap and a walk. :) The boys just want to curl up together.

Here they are this eve. I propped a soft bed up on the back of the sofa where they both like to sit.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1211/866286653_db1bae09a8.jpg

nlg679
22nd July 2007, 01:57 AM
Karlin-that picture is sooo sweet! Boy do they love each other!
How cozy!;)

Cathy T
22nd July 2007, 02:03 AM
Breaks my heart reading about that. I can't imagine the distress poor little Leo was in. Well....after our incident on Wednesday I can imagine the stress you were under. I'm just so glad that they are both okay. They look so sweet curled up together...two little bugs in a rug ;)

*Pauline*
22nd July 2007, 02:12 AM
Oh they look so lovely. :lotsaluv:

Cathy Moon
22nd July 2007, 02:24 AM
They do look so sweet together. Looks like they're comforting each other, poor little boys.

sarahg
22nd July 2007, 08:54 AM
Karlin i hope both boys are back to there normal selfs this morning, sending :hug: for them :flwr:

Caraline
22nd July 2007, 08:55 AM
Oh that is a horrible thing to have happen. Those poor we dogletts & poor you. :( Doesn't it just rip your heart seeing your dog in pain. Honestly I find it worse than seeing a human in pain as the critters don't understand what the pain is all about and you can't even tell them that in x amount of yours the pain will be all gone.

:hug: Hugs for all of you.

Nicki
22nd July 2007, 09:00 AM
oh bless them - so glad they are ok.

I can remember my Father being badly stung by wasps when he was taking an old coal bunker to pieces - it really is scary.

I hope they are bouncing again today and you are feeling better too.

Rj Mac
22nd July 2007, 11:03 AM
Glad to hear they're feeling better Karlin, they look so great together in the pic :luv:

Bruce H
22nd July 2007, 11:57 AM
Wow, that was just awful to hear about. Glad the kids are OK. Those ground wasps are really nasty, believe me I know. Anyone know if dogs can be allergic to stings like humans?

Karlin
22nd July 2007, 01:57 PM
Yes, they can, Bruce. A friend's westie had a severe reaction and if he hadnt taken him straight to the vet his dog wouldn't have lived. Also of course the neck and throat can swell even if the dog (or person) isn't allergic -- and of course dogs often snap at flying bees and wasps! :yikes So I will definitely be getting in an antihistimine for emergencies now!

They are all fine this morning, thank goodness. I will never ever get that picture of Leo out of my mind, curled on the ground then nearly limp as I carried him. Of all the dogs he is the one I'd least want to have this type of pain -- not just because he has his own daily SM pain but because he has the sweetest, most trusting nature and is so gentle. He was almost comatose with pain, and you could see he was so confused at what had happened and wanted to be comforted.

Well, now I know that the pain lasts about an hour or so from those types of stings. But I hope I never se anything like that again. They started swarming at me when I picked up Leo but by then seemed to have finished most of their attack. :(

Cathy T
22nd July 2007, 05:12 PM
So glad everyone is okay today. I have a friend with boston terrier who is allergic to bee stings. She carries an injectable pen with her when she's out with him. Think I'll add some benadryl to my backpack for our outings!

I just can't get the picture of little Leo curled up on the ground out of my mind, just as I keep replaying Shelby's incident with the rottie. It just breaks your heart to feel helpless.

Hugs to all the kiddos.

Karlin
22nd July 2007, 08:07 PM
I keep seeing Shelby being picked up by that rottie in my mind's eye too. I hate any time any of these doglets has a traumatic experience of any sort. :( It is consoling though and helps to be able to come and share the experience with others who will understand exactly how awful such things were. :flwr:

BarbMazz
22nd July 2007, 09:36 PM
How awful! I'm glad they seem to be settling down.. poor babies!

When my kids were little they were running next to our garage and one of them stepped into a yellow jackets nest. A veritable SWARM came out and attacked them.... I was right there and made them all run into our enclosed back porch. My sons were each bitten around ten times and my poor little girl was stung 30 times! Those nasty yellow jackets sting again and again, and they actually hang on to the skin so they have to be picked off. I was stung about a dozen times trying to get the nasty things off the kids. I called the pediatrician immediately and I was to dose all three of them with Benedryl for three days. Luckily none of them had problems, although the stings themselves bothered them for about a week.

Nasty creatures... what purpose do they actually serve?! To me it seems they are a nuisance only!

casshon
23rd July 2007, 10:26 AM
I have just caught up on this thread - what an awful experience! I hope Leo and Jasper are feeling better now. I'm sure they enjoyed their little treat and the TLC.:hug:

Scouty girl
23rd July 2007, 04:02 PM
Karlin,

So, so sorry to hear about yours, Jasper's and Leo's horrible experience. Thanks goodness Lily was farther away. I'm so happy to read that everyone is doing fine. How nerve racking!!!

Lynn
23rd July 2007, 05:29 PM
VERY scary!!!! I am soooooo glad that Leo is ok. Poor little one.... I am very glad that the 3 dogs and mum are all fine.

Reading about events like this makes me realize that I am so ill prepared for emergencies. I have a big prepacked bag that I take in the car for the pups (like a diaper bag for kids) but filled with premeasured bags of food,water, toys, extra leashes....but NO telephone number of the vet....no emergency kit.....nothing extremely important. I feel like an idiot for not thinking about emergencies!!!

jennifer
24th July 2007, 07:17 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: That must have been so so so scary for you and the dogs. I have never liked wasps myself but never stung by one AND DON'T WISH TO BE! Hope they are feeling ok now and that they are back to there old selves.;) ;) ;)

arasara
24th July 2007, 08:43 PM
Wow, what a scary experience. So glad to hear that everybody is feeling better now. I think I would have had a heart attack. Were you stung while picking the bees off of the dogs?

that's scary to read about how they invite their friends over for the attack too. :yikes

mlc4140
25th July 2007, 12:50 AM
Just catching up on this thread, hope all is well.