• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very scary wasp attack

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I just took all the dogs out for a walk and wade in their favourite creek route through the park when suddenly they started shrieking and biting at themselves. I couldn't figure out what was going on til I realised Leo was crawling with wasps. :yikes He must have stumbled into a wasp nest and was just curled up on the ground whimpering. :( It was just heartbreaking; with his SM this is the last thing he needed. Jaspar was stung too, they all were. I picked about 10 wasps out of Leo's coat and had to carry him to the car, he wouldn't walk. Then I found about 5-6 more wsps -- I don't know how many actually stung him as his coat is fairly heavy but it must have been a few of those. I was so scared that he in particular might go into shock. Thankfully I'd brought my mobile and got the emergency vet number off the recording at my vet's. He assured me that unless they swelled up they would be OK and the pain would subside.

Jaspar and Leo both shivered all the way home and I could not pick up Leo without him crying, or even touch him. He can't settle either, he is obviously in pain. I gave him an extra gabapentin in case the pain from the stings intensifies his normal SM discomfort. He and the others did eat a piece of dried tripe; I was seeing if anything would turn his mind elsewhere and that helped briefly but I guess he will just have to sleep it off. I don't think it is worth going to get Benadryl as that is primarily for the swelling and neither is having any of those kinds of problems.

At any rate he seems to be improving now -- at least I can touch him. This is the weirdest incident I have ever had with the dogs and the scariest -- I've had a dog stung by a single bee but never had them attacked by a swarm of wasps. :cry*ing:

Oh so sorry!:(
We know how painful a wasp attack can be and because they can sting over and over again it is terrifying!

karlin, that's awful. Let us know their progress. :xfngr: You have had a shock too. So take it nice and easy tonight all of you!

Oh my gosh Karlin....how scary!! Hopefully everyone will be okay. Must have scared you to death. It just kills me when one of mine is crying in pain and I can't help them. As Brid said....a shock to you as well.

OMG how upsetting - wasps are so much worse than bees because they can keep stinging without dying as bees do. Poor, poor Leo :hug: and the others - it's so hard to see them suffer. I hope he feels much better soon.

Things like these are totally out of our control, and that makes it so difficult.:( So sorry this happened to you and your doglets!

Oh, how horrible!!! Poor babies...and you, too!! I hope they are soon feeling better and can put this scary incident behind them...you, too!

He's better now -- I can pick him up gently and roll him on his back without him crying out so the immediate intense pain must be gone. Clearly not a happy boy though nor is Jaspar. I've had a single wasp sting and it is really painful and the pain lasts for days at the site of the sting.

It was pretty stressful; I felt ill watching them in the car when you are wondering if you can drive them in time to where they need to go, if they need emergency care. One thing for sure -- I am putting the emergency number into my mobile.

Tonight will definitely be a quiet night and a pizza at home! I'll give them all a really nice treat a little later after he's had a chance to sleep for a while. We are all listening to Bach cello concertos at the moment to relax. :flwr:

Oh Karlin how scary! I'm so glad Jasper is doing better. I'd be terrified. Keep us posted and we're thinking about you guys!

I think this is scary for anyone/thing that gets attacked - my mum has had this happen to her after cutting her hedge once! Poor boys! Cannot imagine the pain of it.

I am so sorry at lest they are alright you take care of your self has well have a quiet evening thinking of you all
----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Oh this brought tears to my eyes---thinking of him just lying down because he was so scared. Poor little guy, he had no idea what was going on.:( How frightening for all of them, but yes, with SM I thought for sure you were going to write that he went into shock.:(

I'm so glad they are improving and just resting. I hope everyone is able to sleep well tonight. :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks all. I think the extra gabapentin helped Leo; it should also make him a bit sleepy now too. He was hardest to watch, he was just in so much pain, you could see it in the way he moved and the noises he was making. Then they come running to you for help like kids; Leo was trying to get into my lap.:( I am just glad it all seems to have settled down now an they are sleeping.

Forgot to say, please have a drink!! I'm having one after just reading this! :eek:

:hug:

I have a glass of white wine on the table before me! :) Leo's asleep next to me and Jaspar at my shoulder on the back of the sofa. They'll get something tasty later on. :cool:

hi if you have stings Vinager,onto the sting its brilliant,sorry about the dogs,I found one starting to build a nest in the shed,we destroyed the thing and why we were able to and why we were pulling it down wasps were attacking us.I hate them they attack for no reason.

Oh Karlin that's awful how frightening for you all :(

I know we worry even more when it's our affected dogs - they have enough to deal with.

I'm pleased that they have settled now and are asleep - that's the best thing for them.

I always carry the homoeopathic remedy Apis - it's made from a bee sting, but is very effective as an antihistamine. You can give it up to every 5 minutes, it has saved lives where the animal has been stung in the throat, as it brings the swelling down {which could block off the airway}.

I got stung by nettles in the garden this week, only had one dose and it took away completely all the redness, swelling and itching - it hasn't itched once.

You should be able to get it somewhere like Boots.

Thanks Nicki, I was thinking I definitely need something like that in the medicine cabinet. I'd heard of vinegar too, maybe I should have just doused Leo in it when we got home.

karlin that is terrible i hope that ur babies are ok i have had one sting before and it was so painful!! give them big kisses

I got stung twice,if you get the sting out then apply the vinager with a cotton wool pad or cloth soaked in it leave on the sting it will be gone within a hour,not sure about the dogs.Keep the cloth damp with the vinager till pain gone.

Back