• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Moving Suggestions?

mhabca

We're moving in a month. Is there anything I should do to make it easier for Mika? She'll be almost 7 months old at the time of the move.

The weird timing of the move is that she will be in getting spayed that day. I drop her at the vet's at 8:00, the movers arrive at 9:00. Here, the vet keeps them overnight, so she will arrive home the next day already moved in to a new home.

I'm thinking in a way that is good, since she'll be out of the way during the move, but on the other hand, is it all too much for her - to be spayed and move all at the same time?

If I change the day at the vet's, there is no telling when we'll get back in as they are booked months in advance. I can't move any earlier, as that is the day we get possession. I could put off the move for a day or two, but then I'd have a weak post-surgery dog having to go to some strange place to get her out of the way of the movers

Or am I worried for nothing? She's pretty easy going. Perhaps I should be more worried about how Tiger the cat will adapt to the move.

Our girl was just drugged up and passed out after the spay, and the next day she was back to her old self. And we've moved 2x with Indy, once with Charlie, and both times they just knew "oh, this is where I live now. OK." and they were fine, no stress from a new place. I bet she'll be just fine. =)

Good luck!

We're moving in a month. Is there anything I should do to make it easier for Mika? She'll be almost 7 months old at the time of the move.

The weird timing of the move is that she will be in getting spayed that day. I drop her at the vet's at 8:00, the movers arrive at 9:00. Here, the vet keeps them overnight, so she will arrive home the next day already moved in to a new home.

I'm thinking in a way that is good, since she'll be out of the way during the move, but on the other hand, is it all too much for her - to be spayed and move all at the same time?

If I change the day at the vet's, there is no telling when we'll get back in as they are booked months in advance. I can't move any earlier, as that is the day we get possession. I could put off the move for a day or two, but then I'd have a weak post-surgery dog having to go to some strange place to get her out of the way of the movers

Or am I worried for nothing? She's pretty easy going. Perhaps I should be more worried about how Tiger the cat will adapt to the move.

Would it be possible to take her to your new house for a look around and a good sniff? When we were building our house we brought all the dogs over with us during construction. When we actually moved in they were very used to it already and the transition was just about seamless.

Can you posts pics of your new house,loved to see it.We have moved about 8 times,and we are just waiting to hear if we got planning to buld our own house,so we will be off again hopefully.

Would it be possible to take her to your new house for a look around and a good sniff? When we were building our house we brought all the dogs over with us during construction.

We have been doing this and I didn't even realize it! We've been going over to see how construction has been coming along and since she is almost always with us, she's been there too. So I guess she is already getting used to it. I probably worry too much.

Can you posts pics of your new house,loved to see it.
This reminded me that I need to get some new pics. I think the last ones I have were from when the walls were just going up - not too exciting. It's a condo, so not too exciting, but it is what we can afford. It's actually very nice - granite counters and all. After seeing the show home though I realized that there is no way all our dumpy old furniture can go into the sparkly new home, so I guess I have to go shopping!

I have a lot of fosters who go right into the vets for a neuter then go into a strange foster home and they all do well. Some special treats and lots of affection go a long way to making any dog content. I'd think it more stressful to be there during all the drama of the actual move as opposed to avoiding all that and arriving in a nice new house! :)

So I am probably just over worried. I agree that it is likely just as well she is not around for the craziness of moving day.

And besides, her own personal possessions with her smell and your smell will stay the same- that would help settle any nerves too. She'll probably be dopey for about a second full day after the spay anyway- both of mine were.

I moved across the state about a month ago. I took Kingston to daycare while the movers packed up our stuff. I picked him up and we drove straight to our new home (he had never been there before). It didn't affect him one bit. I think most Cavaliers don't really care where they are as long as they are with the ones they love.

I think dogs are very philosophical about things and very adaptable.

Cailean was fine when he moved home with us twice - except he's a bit dim, and kept getting 'lost' in the house - and no, it's not a mansion it's a 3 bed semi ;)

I think dogs are extremely adaptable. Provided they are allowed to have a good sniff around & check out every corner of every room I think they fit in easily. Just make sure not to clean up her bedding too much, as she may be comforted by her own smells on her bedding. Home is where the pack is. I often take my dogs away for the night when I am visiting and the dogs are always comfortable in other people's homes. I just let them sleep in the same room that I am sleeping in and they are very relaxed & settled.

The only little hesitation I have is that I would not have the spaying happening on the same day. That is two unsettling things happening at once. I'd have delayed it until she was settled into the new house, which I think will happen pretty fast anyway.

I think dogs are extremely adaptable.
The only little hesitation I have is that I would not have the spaying happening on the same day. That is two unsettling things happening at once. I'd have delayed it until she was settled into the new house, which I think will happen pretty fast anyway.
It's just unfortunate it worked out that way. The new place was supposed to be ready June 30, so Aug 14 for the spaying was no problem. Due to delays, we don't take possession until Aug 14 now. If I don't get her spayed then, it will be months before we can get another appointment.

Back