• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

my Chelsea keeps on messing

Hi My 7 year old in the last i would say 6 months keeps on weeing and pooing in the morning in the house before she is let out I get up really early but she will not go out and do anything, as at night she wont do anything outside i have left her out for an hour before and she just sits there. The problem is getting worse it is now every morning and I am pulling my hair out even when i open the door i can go upstairs come down and she has done it in the house right by the open door.

About 2 months ago she had a bladder infection which made her wee a lot which has been sorted she also has a mild heart murmour, and is prone to bad teeth she has had a lot removed I feed them early morning then again about 3pm. This is now not funny having this to clear up before work every morning, I have even tried putting a nappy on her but with the tail hole it still comes out ( she did look cute though).

any tips gratefully received:(
Thanks Tracey

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your furbaby, but don't worry...you can correct the situation!

My first question is this: Is she kept in a crate at night or does she have free roam of the house? Is she getting up before you and going downstairs and making her mess?

If she is not kept in a crate or otherwise confined at night I would suggest confining her to your bedroom with a baby gate so that way you can control exactly when she goes downstairs in the morning. I also suggest you take her out on a lead first thing as soon as you get up and walk her around until she does her business. Once she's done her duty then you can reward her with her breakfast. It's no different than you would do for a very young pup. It might take a week or two to retrain her but it will be worth it.

Good luck and hopefully some other folks will post their feedback too!

Last edited:
Thanks a good idea

I had not thought about putting her in a cage at night, good idea I could have her in my bedroom in a dog cage which I have, then I can hear her scratch when she wants to go out i would rather take her out in the night than have that mess to clear up in the morning.

Thanks for the reply:paw:

Tracey

Tracey,

Since she's 7 I seriously doubt she would need to go out during the night. I just think it's very important that you supervise her closely in the mornings and get her in the habit of going outside to do at least #1 before she eats. As an example, here's my morning routine with Chester:
1) Get up and let Chester out of crate.
2) Throw on bathrobe and let Chester out into backyard where he peepees. He never goes #2 first thing but always has a nice long pee.
3) Feed Chester and then give him the opportunity to go again if he needs to...which he usually doesn't.
4) I eat my breakfast, shower etc... and then I take Chester out for a proper walk where he always goes #2.

I think the most important thing is to let her out first thing and then to not let her out of your site until she has pooped. For a lot of dogs that I know the "food in/food out" rule applies and they won't go #2 until after they're had their breakfast.

That's my 2 cents. Anyone else?

:lol: My morning routine is a lot like like your routine. My 3 cavs sleep in our bedroom, and we close the door to keep them in with us. When the clock radio/alarm turns on, they get up and wake me up. Immediately I take them outside for a wee, then we come in and wait a bit until I get their food. After eating, they go out for #2 and a good long sniff around the garden, then they nap while I shower.

It might help to put some kibble in your pocket, and reward her outside whenever she does her business. This will help remind her of what you want.

Definitely agree that confining her in some way should help, but I'd also get the vet to just check her out in case there is some other issue going on.

Very good advice above - I would also go out in the garden with her at night - could something have scared her out there and that's why she won't toilet?

Stay out with her until she does "perform", like you would a puppy, then lots of praise and treat.

I would try taking her for a walk at night rather than just leaving her in the garden. Many dogs need to be walked in order to cause the natural processes to take place in thier guts.

Thankyou all

:thnku: for all the good advice, Today I have put a dog cage in my bedroom so hopefully that will help :xfngr: and last night I took her out at 7 for a walk it took her an hour to do number 2s and no mess this morning so with the combination I hope to have sorted out the morning mess, just have to sort out the when I am at work mess now. :winkct:

Tracey

That's great news Tracey :D . It is frustrating when their housetraining goes backwards but I'm sure she will be back on track in no time - she just needs to be reminded it's not OK to go inside.

All this rain we're having has made Bella decide she doesn't ever want to go outside again (she doesn't like to get her paws wet :rolleyes: ) but I just have to wait her out until she goes and then treat and praise.

Good luck!

My boys have a regular routine but if I miss out on a walk or they are poorly they get out out of their usual routine and they wee and poo at different times so then I have to get them back on to their "normal" routine. After a few days they get back normal but I have to put in the extra effort as they cant do it on their own

It also might help to feed her a little earlier if you feed an evening meal? Then she might be more ready to go. Ot switch to feeding once a day, in the morning?

It may be that as she is now geting to be a senior, the speed at which she digests has changed.

Back