• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kingston Keeps Sneezing

KingstonsMom

Kingston is visiting the vet this evening! He has been sneezing an awful lot lately, and it has me worried. I'm wondering if he has allergies. I've noticed he sneezes more when he comes in from outside. But then I don't notice any irregular sneezing after we've been at the park. His nose generally doesn't run, unless we are in the car. I'm wondering if the car's air conditioning is making his nose run. Other than the sneezing, his demeanor is perfectly fine. He's perky and playful. Anybody else have sneezing issues? Why would Kingston's nose run only in the car?

Sounds like he has an allergy to something. Do you have an air freshner or something like that in the car? Are the seats leather? Just grabbing at things here.

I'd agree with Cathy; sounds like something in the car is the annoyance. Cars have a lot of chemical scents in between the molded plastic interiors, fabric in seats etc, flooring, plus people use things like hanging air fresheners (those things mkae me feel nauseous! -- I hate cabs that have them and always have to roll down the window as the chemicals make me ill).

That said if he only ever sneezes and only occasionally in the car, i'd not be too worried. He can probably cope just as I can if someone stirs up dust (which makes me sneeze due to the dust mites).

Well....When it comes to Kingston I tend to worry a little too much. The vet says he has allergies, which is very common for dogs living in Texas. He suggested I give him half a tablet of Benadryl every 12 hours when his allergies act up. The vet also said Kingston, at 1 year old, is very young to have allergies and he warned me that they will probably get worse as he ages.

As for the runny nose in the car...I do have leather seats. Could that be the cause? My car is very small so I'm thinking the close proximity to the air conditioner might make his nose run a bit.

Ruby sneezes often as well, but not after doing anything in particular. I can't figure out what's causing it......

I am going to the vet today for a number of things (I think I worry too much also - first time mom ;) ). Some of the things are more serious concerns (she scratches, shakes her head and yawns a lot so I'm afraid she might have CM/SM or PSOM), but I am planning to ask about Molly's sneezing.

She seems to sneeze more often than would be "normal"... and then her nose gets wet. I wondered if she has a cold, but it doesn't run unless she's in the car! When I read that in your post, I was surprised to see someone else has that same issue. She was getting car sick and that meant she was salivating and drooling excessively, and I wondered if the runny nose was somehow related to that?? But I've been working with her on the car sickness and it seems to be getting better... except for the runny nose.

I'll let you know what the vet has to say.

Oh, by the way, I don't have leather seats. And no car fresheners, either (though I probably should - LOL).

Oh, and I also wanted to add that I thought it might be a/c (in the bedroom/car) and/or the ceiling fans (in the house)...? Feel like I'm grasping at straws, though...

-laura

Last edited:
Back