• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My puppy has a wind problem please help

clark67

Hi everyone, my 13 week old boy called Harvey has just finished a weeks course on a special diet because a plum feel from the tree next door and he ate it without us knowing. He then passed the stone out which caused problems with his tummy (ie very bad mucucs poo) been on Hills prescription ID dietary food and probiotic powders now finished them and all ok so started to introduce dry food again. Was on Eukanuba but that finished so when we got him she also gave us Pedigree puppy as an alternative as you cant get the eukanuba in supermarket. Since his dinner tonight with pedigree he has had bad wind do you think it's the pedigree?

Have you got any suggestions as to the best food?

Last edited:
Hi in my opinion pedigree or any of the foods u can buy in supermarkets are rubbish. Can the vet get food in for u like Royal Cainin or some other good quality food. Or have u a pet shop nearby they sell some good ranges, not sure what they sell in England. Im sure the girls on the board from UK would know.

The Eukanuba I would have to get from our big pet store called "Pets at home" this is also where we take him to the vets as they have the veterinary surgery instore. This is quite expensive to buy but if it cures the wind problem it would be worth it.

The wind prob could also be his stomach getting back to normal.Also maybe im wrong but i think on a previous thread someone said that Eukanuba is not as good as other brands, though not as rubbish as supermarket brands.

Being new to this site I haven't read that. Maybe I should post a new thread about advice on the best puppy food.

might be a good idea as the members from uk whould have a better idea of brands there. I dont think u have to feed puppy food either just a good quality.

I'm in the US, but I remember Karlin and others recommending James Wellbeloved and Burns as being very good foods in the UK.

I don't know if your vet or breeder mentioned that a young puppy's food should be changed gradually. You might want to mix in the new food into the current food, gradually increasing the new amount over a week's time. I'm wondering if you could do that with the Science Diet ID food.

Last edited:
Foods can definitely cause wind. Pedigree has a lot of filler, aditives, and a low and low quality protein content -- and definitely causes very smelly poops and wind because I had that problem with all three of my dogs when they were fed it for two weeks when I was away.

Eukenuba is a so-so food as well in this regard.

More expensive foods tend not to be all that more expensive if you by the larger sizes -- I get the 10kg bags and store in an airtight container.

Burns, James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin are among the foods I'd recommend in the UK/Ireland. You tend to feed somewhat less than with cheaper foods and I am sure you will find less wind and better digestibility. :)

cookie used to have bad wind with alot of the wet food available at the supermarket, including pedigree. Her stomach is quite sensitive aswell as it took us along time for us to find a food that didn't pass straight through her. The best we found was Butchers, but that still gave her wind. Have you tried dry foods? (john welbeloved i think???) If not try Royal Canine foods as cookie has had no prob with them.

I swear by James Wellbeloved. Bertie has been on it since he was a puppy and does just fine on it.

He has had the occasional slight upset stomach and a period of the runs but in general does well on it and seldom has wind, if he does, it certainly doesn't smell and if it does smell, I know it's cos he needs a poop.

Pets At Home I believe sell it, not sure if you have where you are or not.

Alison

If you're going to Pets at Home, I'd recommend Wainwrights. Ingredient for ingredient, it's comparable to Royal Canin etc, but it's a fraction of the price. I needed a new bag recently- JWB cost £20 something for 7 kilos. Wainwright's cost £24 for 15 kilos. Both my dogs do great on it AND they enjoy it. Great poos, too. No problem with wind either. It's intended to be hypoallergenic as well, so none of the fillers that many similarly priced brands have.

Back