• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy covered with paint!

shippers

Had a dilemma this evening. Sally and I had been out for a long walk in the fields. Got back home and she crashed out on the bed. I decided to paint the radiator as we are decorating our bedroom. Sally was fast asleep so I thought she'd be ok but as I was bending down she slipped off the bed and knocked the paint tin on to her front legs and chest. Tried to wash it off but it was radiator paint and oil based!! Panicking I immediately rang the vets and Sally has been under a GA and had her fur shaved. I was absolutely devastated when the vet told me this. She's been admitted overnight and I can collect her at 10:30 tomorrow. I feel terrible because it was my fault. Just hope she'll be ok as it is toxic and can burn skin. Can't wait to give our baby a cuddle as I absolutely adore her. :(

Oh my. I hope your Sally will be OK. I am sure she will be fine. Keep us posted.

Just feel so sorry for her. We've spent months getting her skin and coat in tip top condition and now this has happened poor thing

Poor little sweetie. I am sure the vet will do everything they can to keep her comfortable. :hug:

Poor Sally--it wasn't your fault. Things happen sometimes...

She'll be as good as new before you know it!:)

Oh no! :confused:

My daughter did the same thing with gloss paint when she was months old and crawling. I wrapped her in a blanket and ran next door for help, my neighbour cleaned it off with white spirits :yikes

It will grow back, at least she didn't get any in her mouth. Accidents happen. :hug:

She'l be fine, don't blame yourself, accidents happen, when I was painting doors in our old house, Jake....who'd been sound asleep came to investigate, and before I knew it he sat down on the paint tin lid.....and ended up with a white bum :yikes

Give Sally a big :hug: from us when she comes home

These things happen and lesson learned. At least you got her to the vet right away.

She might look a little strange shaved, but the important thing is she's okay and the hair will grow back. :)

Hugs to you & a little cuddle for her from Lucky ...

Thanks for all your kind wishes. Sally came home yesterday. The vet managed to treat her with sedation rather than a GA. She's had her fur shaved on her front legs, chest and back legs. Her ears have also been trimmed :( . The vet said that because the paint was removed within the hour her skin wasn't as burnt as it would have been. It is slightly red. She's on antibiotics and aqueous cream twice a day. Have to clean her legs with saline to keep them clean. We have another appointment in a week to check she's doing ok. She is also wearing a buster collar for a week which she hates!!!! It's a shame because shes due to be spayed next friday too but not sure whether they will go ahead now because of this.
I'll keep you all posted on how she is doing. I'm sure she'll be fine cos she's still wagging her tail and playing with toys.

Poor little thing. I hope she is comfortable very soon. Maybe you could delay her spaying for a bit? It seems a bit of a shame to put her through more discomfort when this is happening. :flwr:

Poor Sally; I am glad she is back home with you though. Thank you for posting about this because I would never have guessed a paint spill could be so potentially dangerous! This was an eye opener for me and I am sure many others -- I will now be very careful with open tins of paint. Sharing your story will help prevent other accidents -- but I know that doesn't help with all you have gone through!

Don't worry, her coat will grow back in quickly. :)

So glad she is ok - this is scary and a good warning for the rest of us...

We have had incidents with emulsion paint - when our Blens decided they wanted to be Tricolours EEK! but fortunately not with oil based paints...

We now always use the puppy panels/pen to enclose the area being painted, so that they cannot even accidentally get near the paint...

Thanks for all your kind wishes it means so much to us all. Sally is continuing on her antibiotics and cream but her paws still remain sore and parts on her belly. It breaks my heart when I see her so sad. She's getting so much love and attention. It's ashame though we have to keep her in for awhile to prevent infection. Can't wait to take her back the vet on Thursday to see if we can remove the buster collar that she hates!

I was wondering if there are any supplements we could buy for her that would give her a bit of a boost with her skin and help repair it? Even some vitamins? She seems down in the dumps and even her eyes and rest of her coat are not as vibrant.

I was also thinking of writing to the paint company and suggesting they advise people to seek vet help immediately if it gets on pets skin. Although I accept I should have kept her out the way of the paint and it was my responsilbility, many people I have spoken to have not realised how much it burns. Would this be worthwhile?

I would ask the vet first before giving her anything additional. If she seems worse, you might want to call the vet, just to be on the safe side.

I don't know if it's sunny where you are, but be careful of her getting a sunburn since her hair is cut short.

Does the paint can label indicate it is harmful to humans? If so, I would understand that to mean it's harmful to animals as well.

Sally seems a bit brighter today. Still cleaning her skins with sterile gauze and saline and putting cream on. The antibiotics are giving her diarrhoea, poor thing. She's still eating and drinking plenty though. I'll ask the vet if she needs anything extra. She's on James Wellbeloved food which I understand is good so hopefully this will be enough to help her skin heal.

I think the paint can stated is an irritant to humans. Don't think I'll bother writing. I just didn't realise the paint would burn in less than an hour.

Glad to hear Sally's doing better. Please don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen. Sally will heal and you two will be a team for a long time. Please give her a cuddle for me. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Back