• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

any tips for first night

scoobie

hi . i'm so excited im collecting my little ruby in the morning. just wondering if anyone has any tips for her first night .hoping she doesnt fret too much:confused:

Depends upon the age. I haven't had anyone state they had any problems when they've taken a pup home. I have them crate trained and sleeping through the night before they go home. If the pup is young - pups sometimes get up to 'go' in the middle of the night.

One recommendation I followed was to have the puppy in a box next to my bed -- high sides so the puppy couldn;t get out but meant I could reach in and give him a pat if he was whining. After a couple of days I moved him to a crate. Of course Jaspar eventually moved himself to sleeping on the second pillow by my head. :rolleyes:

I also used a hot water bottle with hot but not scalding water and wrapped several times -- in a tea towel and a regular towel -- so it would be warm and comforting but no chance of him coming in contact with the hot rubber of the actual bottle.

As Sandy notes you will likely need to get up midway thru the night to take your puppy out for a wee and maybe a poop, and this may be necessary for a few weeks. Other puppies can manage to hold themselves and won't wake up whining to go out at 3 am or so. :slp:

Have fun! A new puppy is always exciting. :)

Awwww, I always cut them a lot of slack for the first night or so, because I figure they are going to be scared & lonely having been removed from their canine family.

I usually put puppy in a box by the bed & dangle my hand into the box to comfort. If they get very fretful & won't settle I take them into bed for a cuddle & once they are asleep again, gently put them back in their box. Some people are afraid that this sets them up to always want to sleep in your bed, but that has never been my exerpience. Once they are through the frightened & lost stage I then concentrate on getting them to stay in their own bed.

Back