• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Would this be appropriate?

Donna27

This might be a question more for the breeders or Karlin types :)...

Many of you may know the story of how we got Fiona, but just to summarize for everyone, we took a risk we would never do again if we were to get another dog. We got Fiona from a woman who has 2 cavs who had a litter, and I'd consider her somewhere between a BYB and a "real" breeder. Here's the facts:

- Both parents ARE AKC registered, as is Fiona.
- We visited the litter and parents numerous times, they are healthy, well loved dogs who live in a beautiful house with a big yard, etc etc.
- They were health checked and guaranteed, but not by a cardiologist, only by their vet.
- We have the pedigree, we can go back 3 generations and look up the dogs, but other than that we dont know too much about the grandparents, etc.
- She's not "puppy milling" her dogs AT ALL. I think she considers herself to be a safe, ethical, "real" breeder, who has a litter MAYBE once a year. I can PM anyone the website if anyone is interested.

I've tried to keep in touch with them. When we picked up Fiona she said her kids were so attached, they would love to come visit sometime,e tc etc since they only live 35 minutes away. The few times I've sent pictures and emails, I've gotten very short responses, but I do want to keep them close in case anything happens..

Now for my question: We are taking Fiona to a Cardiologist Clinic next weekend in our area (Thanks Karlin!). I'm half tempted to email Fiona's breeder and politely suggest she get her dogs screened as well, so that she could have a clearance certificate if they indeed are fine, or if they're not, maybe she'll take a step back with breeding. I honestly think she genuinely means well, but I have to say I do worry about Fiona (I think rightfully so) and while I wouldnt trade her for any dog in the world, we "know better" for our next dog.

Is this crossing a line? I dont want to intrude or be rude at all, but I care greatly about the wellbeing of future pups and I'd lovet hem to be as healthy as possible.

I think is totally appropriate. Maybe doing it after your appointment so you can tell her of the experience, cost, results, etc. will come across as just that--you telling her of your experience with a gentle nudge in the "suggesting you do the same" tone.
When we had Abbey MRI'd for SM, I emailed her breeder first of my concern, then of my decision to move ahead with a MRI, and finally of our results. I wanted her to know, and as owner of one of her dogs, I feel it's my responsibility to tell her of such issues.

. . . . I'm half tempted to email Fiona's breeder and politely suggest she get her dogs screened as well, so that she could have a clearance certificate if they indeed are fine, or if they're not, maybe she'll take a step back with breeding. . . . Is this crossing a line? I dont want to intrude or be rude at all, but I care greatly about the wellbeing of future pups and I'd lovet hem to be as healthy as possible.

I would e-mail her about the clinics and the cost and just say you thought she might be interested, both for her dogs' individual health and to help her make future breeding decisions. She may appreciate knowing about it and if not, if you express yourself tactfully and in a non-accusatory way, you should be able to stay on good terms with her even if she does not follow through, if that is what you want. You might include an link to a good article of MVD in Cavaliers.

I say "Just Do It!"

Back