• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Are Most Cavalier Puppies Hyper?

Hello, my 7 month old puppy Layla is very energetic :dogwlk: and doesn't often relax:dogwlk: . I'm wondering if this is normal for a puppy and if she'll grow out of it or if it's her personality. I try to take her on walks whenever I can and play fetch with her but, she still very active and into EVERYTHING. Any advice/information you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks!

Ah yes, I do remember the puppy times. :) My dog Riley was also very energetic and maybe it can be a bit harder if you have an only dog like we do. Sometimes it does take more to tire them out on your own. I used to take my little guy to daycare 2 times a week (or more if I could) and that would allow him to get all his doggy play time. Such a big help if you don't have another dog for Layla to do that with. Nothing can tire them out like other young dogs. :wink:
Also, I had begun training classes with Riley by that age and having some class time as well as homework allowed me to spend time with him and stimulate his mind. That tired him out too! Those are just some suggestions that might be helpful. These little doggies can just be balls of energy when they're really young, they are adorable but boy can they wear you out. :lpy: Good luck!

Laura's said just what I was going to suggest :) -- if you haven't started a good, rewards-based (not corrections-based) training class, now is definitely the time! I'll guarantee you Layla will be more pooped after an hour of class than an hour walk or an hour playing (remember how tired you were after an hour test at school compared to an hour of P.E.? :lol: ). At her age she needs to start learning the self control that comes along with basic obedience and also doing obedience with her will give you some fun 'homework' to do with her each day -- say two or three 10-15 minute sessions daily -- which will really help. I also recommend Karen Pryor's basic clicker training book:

http://www.clickertraining.com/

This will give you a start on doing all sorts of really fun things with Layla that will also put her brain to work.

(y) I totally agree that obedience classes are a great idea for puppies (and dogs of any age!). Having several fun, short practice sessions per day will make your puppy happy! They love working for little tidbits and are eager to please. Clicker training is fun too!

Other activities to keep your active puppy occupied are:
Chewing - bully sticks, tracheas, or even nylabones (only one of mine likes nylabones, though)

Puzzle toys - I-Cube and others like it, where you stuff smaller toys into the main toy and your puppy pulls them out

Puppy agility - if all of the equipment is set close to the ground, jumps no higher than 6-8 inches, agility can be a fun game for puppies. Even 1 or 2 pieces of equipment, like a child's tunnel and a jump can be fun.

Kong treat dispensers can be used to feed a puppy - just put the measured kibble meal in, and let your puppy roll it around!

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on signing up for an obedience class and do think that would help. I'm glad to hear it's just "normal puppy" activity. I wasn't sure since Layla is my first cavalier and from experience I know that each breed has it's own temperment.

Layla is adorable, though. She's into everything jumping, running, chasing, chewing and just when we've had about enough, she does something really silly and we crack up.

She's REALLY smart, too. I swear she understands everything we say and chooses to ignore some things.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I plan to sign us up for some classes and will try to spend time each day working with her, too.

we've only had one cavalier puppy in the family but she never slept , always on the go wanting to fight & play.
now she's an adult she is quite but still plays rough :D

Individuals all vary as well. :) Leo was very laid back by the time I got him at 10 months and has emained that way; Jaspar is very lively, though less so thank goodness than when he was under 1! That's when they are most active.

Sammy has also been a very playful, very energetic puppy - I would say he was hyper when he was little. But it is relative... I'm comparing to Finnish Lapphund puppies, which are playful but seem incredibly soulful, like they're sitting contemplating life ;)

I actually wrote a message here a few months ago asking how to entertain my energetic pup to keep him from getting frustrated. I was already going to puppy training. I ended up adding an extra walk to his day, and being more routine with his scedule. He gets half an hour same time every morning, fourty minutes same time every afternoon, and twenty minutes same time every evening. It breaks up his day. In between, he's much less restless. He also gets some kind of treat every day - a kong or a chew bone or I play tug rope with him. And I rotate his toys. It' means that my day is divided into five hour segments, but the rest of day I get peace to work and a happy relaxed dog who sits on the sofa with me chewing his bone. He knows the routine.

(P.S. I don't have a back yard or another dog, which also explains why he needs so many walks).

Back