• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can anyone give a little advise?

Rj Mac

Can anyone give a little advice?

Hi guys, sorry to bother you's,

Just looking for a wee bit of advice,

I tell you what it is, Lucy is about 10 days into her 2nd season, after which she is going to be dressed,

However just this evening shestarted yelping while cleaning herself.....which didn't happen in her 1st season, she just kept herself clean and tidy, no probs at all......I checked her out and she looks very tender, and it appears as she's cleaning she's biting...as if it's driving her mad, unfortunately our vets is closed till morning,I have phoned the emergency number, and am waiting on a call back, what do you think? could she have a urinary infection or something similar? or can this be normal for bitches in season?

I'l be taking her to the vets 1st thing for peace of mind, but it's just so upsetting when they're in discomfort, and you're not sure what to do....even more so for Kieran, he's really upset, as he's to little to understand,

Sorry scratch all that, as I've been typing this post Lisa's just brought her up the stairs and her face, around the top lip and nose area is all swollen, and thats what's causing the pain.....it's just swollen up out of nowhere, I can't think of her being stung on any of our walk

The vets just called back, and he says it sounds like a text book sting or allergic reaction and has advised me to administer asprin to ease the inflamation, and if she's no better in the morning bring her in

Sorry to ramble on

Last edited:
She's took the asprin no bother disguised with a bit of cheese, hopefully this'l ease the swelling for her a little, until morning when we can get her into the vets,

Here she is
unwelllucy.jpg
[/IMG]

Awwwwwww~ It looks a bit like I looked when I had my wisdom teeth taken out....Poor Baby, give her a hug for me.

I'm thinking I'd want her on Benadryl immediately! This type of swelling can cause breathing problems if it gets worse.

Could you call the vet back and ask what the dosage is - you'll need to know her weight.

Aww Poor little lady!!

I would be back at the vets if at all possible, that looks badly swollen to me, agree with Cathy, she needs something a bit more than aspirin :xfngr: that the swelling goes down quickly poor little girl, keep us posted won't you Ryan? Gentle kiss and a big gentle :hug: for Lucy, hope you're feeling better really soon sweetheart! :lotsaluv:

Yep I came off one night from a PM shift and scurried about letting pups out etc and when I sat down and looked at my little Annie her face was swollen twice its normal size by her lips and eyes. She was breathing normally, eating, drinking etc. I gave her a Benadryl and by morning you never knew it happened.

Thank you all so much, for your advice and help, it really is greatly appreciated, it's such a relief to be able to come on here and be able recieve so much help and good wishes,
we were all a little on edge at 1st, never seen a reaction like it, and Kieran was really upset....Lucy is his baby
called the vet back, and gave her a little Benadryl, always have it in the house....Piriton too.....Kieran and I suffer Hay feaver...for 1nce thats a good thing

The fierceness of the itching seems to have died down a little, and she's alot more comfortable, she's breathing fine, and drinking well, and even had a little bite too eat, taking her into the vet 1st thing, just to be on the safe side tho

Last edited:
Didn't realise it was ok to give "human" Benadryl or Piriton to dogs. I thought it would have to be especially for dogs! Thanks for that information

I'm not sure about Piriton being ok for dogs - but perhaps Cathryn or Karlin could say, since it seems to be a UK medication?

Hi!

Piriton is an anti-histamine and I have used it on my youngest son when he was a tiny baby so would agree if it can be given safely to a young baby it can be administered to a dog as well, as long as you make a note of the dosage given and time in case of further reactions.

I always have benadryl on hand, it came in handy when Jake got a bee sting and started swelling. Poor little thing just looks pitiful. Has the swelling gone done?

Awww, poor Lucy. I hope she's feeling much better by now and the swelling is going down. Bless her heart! :luv:

Ooh the poor baby that looks sore

As for Piriton, I had problems with SiânE, I thought she may have an allergy and the vet told me to give her Piriton. I can’t remember the amount as I’m someone who suffer from skin allergies and knew I would not give it to SiânE as I like to find the cause instead of keep giving pills for it. I find they are ok for the short term but not something I would like to keep taking for the long term,

Oh most definitely, she needs to be on some big-gun antihistamine right away. Swelling of the face can very swiftly turn into a medical emergency if it involves the inside of the mouth & the airways.

Added a little later: Just read your final post. Am so glad you had some meds on hand. Yes, we always have antihistamines around for such occasions. Anyway, I am so pleased that this is now under control. Give the poor little pet a hug from me.

Last edited:
Morning guys, just to let you all know, Lucy got up this morning, and the swelling has almost completley vanished, she's in no more pain or discomfort and is running around chasing the other 2....like normal, and has scoffed her breakfast in good fashion, what a relief!!!!!

It's weird, it's almost as if nothing has happened,

Thankyou all so much for taking the time to read this thread and pass on your help and advice, it's been a great help and comfort :flwr:

Back