• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new puppy unwell

scoobie

hi. i brought my new pup home on friday and shes had diarrohea since then. im feeding her eukanuba which is what her breeder was feeding. i have an appointment for the vet in the morning . could this be caused from stress of leaving her siblings ? really worried :xfngr:

Diarrhea could be caused by stress and a number of other things. Definitely take your puppy to the vet.

How old is your puppy? The younger the pup, the more serious diarrhea can be. The problem is puppies can become dehydrated quickly.

Make sure your puppy is drinking water. I have mixed a bit of baby food (PLAIN chicken, lamb, or beef) into a small amount of water to get a sick pup to drink.

For food:
Boil some plain white rice and let it cool.
Boil some chicken (skin and bones removed) and dice into small bits, let it cool
-OR- Boil ground beef (known as mince in UK), pour off the fat with the boiling water, then cool.

Mix the cooked chicken or beef with white rice (50-50 mixture is good) and feed at room temperature. With diarrhea, small meals are easier on the puppy.

Sound advice from Cathy, I would also advise a dose of Kaolin as well this helps to settle the tummy quickly and is quite effective at this, give a teaspoon 2-3 times a day. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! :lotsaluv:

Can't add more. Great advice above. It's not unusual for them to have an upset tummy at first due to the change but definitely want to rule out anything more serious. I give ice cubes (they think they're a treat) when I'm concerned about dehydration.

im so relieved

:D brought my new little babes to the vet yesterday . he said she is perfectly healthy . shes probably just a little stressed with th move . so happy was gettin worried cos have really bonded already with her. thanks for all ur replys :rah:

Oh I am so pleased the Scoobie has been given a clean bill of health. Best to be safe rather than sorry. Hopefully the tummy trouble will settle down soon.

Glad to hear all is well. I was going to say it may be stress, its a big upheaval leaving mum and siblings and the voice of the breeder. Gentle hugs and lots of love and getting her used to your voice will soon settle her. Im sure she will grow in confidence every day. Just takes time.:lotsaluv:

Great that she got a clean bill of health. It's always advisable (and most breeders require it) that a new puppy see your vet with a certain amount of time of coming home. Now you know you're only dealing with stress and it will calm down as she becomes more comfortable.

I think I remember all four of mine having some tummy upset when they first came home. Can you imagine how they must feel when they're brought to their new home?! What changes for such little minds and bodies to cope with!
So glad the vet gave your pup a clean bill. Time and love will sort everything out.

Puppy Still Unwell

what a rollercoaster of a week ive had. after beeen told on monday my adorable scoobie was perfectly healthy . on thursday morning she woke up vomiting and was just lifeless. i took her straight to the vet who said she was really sick and said he wasnt very optimistic about her surviving . i sobbed all the way home . i rang that evening and they said it was 50 50. i was heartbroken. i couldnt believe it . when i rang the next morning after a completely sleepless night they said she semed a good bit better and she had started to eat and was holding it down.they kept her in for second night just to keep an eye on her. i got her back this morning she is a lot better but a bit low . she is only 9 weeks what a start for her. the vet told me when i colllected her that he thinks it was a bug and she should recover ok but she has a grade 1 murmur. u should see her her legs are shaved from where they had to put the drips and her belly is all swollen they said its from all the fluids they gave her . is that normal to be swollen after a drip? will a grade 1 murmur affect her much ? and how come the first vet on monday said her heart sounded perfect ? :confused:

So sorry for your scary ordeal with your little pup. They are so fragile.
I believe that murmers heard this young are typical and the pup will outgrow this.
I send good wishes and thoughts your way.
Keep your chin up:flwr: .

Last edited:
When a puppy is that young, any illness can be dangerous and very frightening! I don't know the answer to your question about her belly being swollen. If she appears to be in pain or is not pottying normally she should be rushed back to the vet.

All I can suggest is to watch her closely, and make sure she is eating, drinking pooping, weeing, and that she has times when she's awake and playful as well as getting plenty of rest. In fact, you might want to keep a journal for a few weeks, just to reassure yourself she is doing well and to learn what her normal habits are.

If she vomits or has diarrhea again, call the vet.

Are you feeding her several times per day? I don't know if you are feeding her a highly rated puppy food, but you may want to consider gradually switching to one like Royal Canin puppy.

hi cathy . thanks for ur advice . i was feeding her eukanuba but the vet has put her on hills prescription diet i/d for a few days and he said to gradually wean her onto hills scince plan when shes back to herself. what do u think of hills?

I would second Cathy's recommendation and try Royal Canine. I used to feed mine Hills Science until I researched it. My breeder gave me a sheet rating all the different types of food. Hills has one of the worst. Even my pet store asked me to bring in the ratilng scale so that they could educate people about better dog foods. Royal Canine has a very high score. However, you will want to keep the puppy on the prescription diet as the vet recommended until she is better.

Last edited:
Hi!

I would agree with going over to Royal Canine rather than Hill's! I have a serious problem with Hill's and some research they did a few years back, also their ingredients are of mediocre quality to say the least and vastly overpriced to boot!
Keep her on the prescription diet for now but gradually wean her over onto the mini junior feed as she starts to pick up, do it gradually over a week and you should have little trouble with her tummy on this feed!

What a rough time you're having. As Cathy said, any illness in a young pup can be dangerous. As far as the Hill's....I'm in complete agreement with what everyone has said above. Both of mine are on Primal raw frozen prepared but if they get an upset tummy (knock on wood, they haven't since starting the Primal) they will be given Hill's I/D for a day or so. It just works wonders at calming their tummies. I wouldn't feed Hill's any kind of prescription diet for any long amount of time. But as a short term solution I think it's fine. There are so many better foods out there.

I don't think I'd be overly concerned about the murmur. I think it's extremely unusual for a dog of that age to have a murmur. Anyone with more knowledge...please pop in here and give your opinon.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

I wouldn't worry about the murmur, as it could go away by itself at this young age.

I have 2 cavs who have grade 1 murmurs, one is 5 1/2 years old and one is age 4. Neither dog has any restrictions.

When she's a little older, you could take her to a heart screening at a dog show - just watch for one near you on the cavalier club websites. It's better to have a cardiologist grade a heart murmur.

Royal Canin food is better than Hills Science Diet based on ingredients.

Last edited:
Back