• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does it ever get easier?

Gingers Mommy

We are going to san francisco for a long weekend (thurs-mon) and we are leaving Ginger with the pet sitter.
I totally trust this woman and I know she LOVES Ginger. Ginger always seems so happy when she comes back so I think she has a great time being their and having another furcompanion, her own vacation in a way.
But the problem is ME! I get so sad (really too sad-sometimes i wonder whats wrong with me) a few days before we are set to leave and then to be honest, i dont always have a good time when im away. Which isnt fair at all to my other half, or to me, but I just dont know how to shake it!
The sitter sends us pictures and we speak to her as often as we like. This is a good test because this time its 5 days, next time at the end of august we are going away for 10 days and to Italy and I dont want to ruin that trip!!
Any good tips on how to think positively about it?
Or anyone have a spare straight jacket and a room at a mental hospital i can stay at?

Well given that Ginger is your "baby" it is only natural that you will worry about her and be anxious that all is OK whilst you are away! Sounds like you have a good set up with your sitter and that Ginger is obviously NOT left wonting for a single thing!

For what it's worth, when we went away week before last, our sons went to stay in a respite home so we could have a good time with the girls and really relax. It was very tough leaving them behind I have to say, HOWEVER, they adore that place, the staff all adore them both, the facilities are second to none, the boys had trips out every single day and had a wonderful time there. For myself and my OH just KNOWING how much they enjoy their time there really helped us to relax and enjoy our time with the girls more, we rang every day and were kept informed of how well they'd slept, eaten and what they'd done each day, of course we were there on the dot to pick them up and got huge smiles and hugs from both of them.

So I guess my moral is, sounds like Ginger is happy with the situation, so just relax in the knowledge that she is in safe hands and enjoy your holiday!!

A short answer to your question is NO-- It really doesn't get any easier. Even when you know the dog(s) are in excellent hands, being there gives you peace of mind and not being there makes things out of your control. I am leaving for a short visit with my parents and the dogs will be at home with DH- I will worry about HIM and them until I am back-lol.

Gingers Mommy, we dog sit a lot for people who have got puppies from us and we hear that all the time. So if it's any consolation, you're not alone in feeling that way. About all you can do is focus on the good care she will get and try to enjoy your vacation.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your support. Not to many people you can "complain" too about having to go on a fab vacation but being sad you'll miss your baby!!
Im trying to keep a good outlook, knowing shes in good hands helps and it'll be nice to have alone time with just me and my husband! well thats what i keep telling myself! My friends say when I do have human kids- im going to be crazy!! crazy in love!!

After almost 5 years...it hasn't gotten any easier :( We have a great pet sitter who stays at the house so I know they're in good hands. The last time we left we got a quick kiss when we got home...and that was it. I don't think they missed me....but I was glad they weren't feeling neglected.

Have a great vacation and know that she is well taken care of.

One thing I do to help myself feel better on vacation is bring a few photos of my doglets along in my purse. Then when I meet other Cavalier people I pull out the photos for them to look at while I'm fussing over their cavs. It really does help a bit.:)

No it doesn't get easier. :(

The last time I had to leave my dogs was 8 years ago when we had to attend our son's wedding in the USA. There I was ironing my long black coat (was mid-winter) and I saw dog hair on it while I was ironing. I promptly burst into tears... not because I had dog hair on my coat, but because I was missing the dogs so badly. I decided to leave the dog hair on my coat & bring them to the wedding with me. Yeah I know, I am a peasant!

Hubby & I ended up cutting our holiday by a week because we were missing "the family" too badly. This is one of the reasons we have moved out of big dogs and into little ones, because from now on, my dogs are going everywhere with me.

No it doesn't get easier. :(

The last time I had to leave my dogs was 8 years ago when we had to attend our son's wedding in the USA. There I was ironing my long black coat (was mid-winter) and I saw dog hair on it while I was ironing. I promptly burst into tears... not because I had dog hair on my coat, but because I was missing the dogs so badly. I decided to leave the dog hair on my coat & bring them to the wedding with me. Yeah I know, I am a peasant!

Hubby & I ended up cutting our holiday by a week because we were missing "the family" too badly. This is one of the reasons we have moved out of big dogs and into little ones, because from now on, my dogs are going everywhere with me.

Well Caraline, if you're a peasant - so am I. I got ready for work and my Elle still isn't feeling 100%-- I Had to move her and found a couple of hundred hairs of her hairs on my shirt. I decided to keep them there and I must have seen them every 10 minutes. She was constantly on my mind. (I work in an office and I can hide if I want-lol)

Back