• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Doggie First Aid Kit

Kelly

Chester had his first brush with a wasp last night & was not amused. It was on the top of his tail near his bottom & I think it is the only time I have ever seen his tail straight down rather than bouncing around.

We managed to get the wasp off of him and after about 30mins of not leaving my side he was back to his mischevious self.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything particular I should have at home for Chester in case of emergencies.... not just for wasp bites but for cuts & things in general. Thought I should put a little First Aid Kit together for him.

Thanks

I saw this thread yesterday and thought what a good idea, must keep an eye and get a first aid kit. I also thought I must read what to do when a wasp stings your dog... I didn't get to as Rex starting yelping in the garden - He had just been stung on the ear by a wasp :( We had to rush him to the Vet for an antihistimine. The poor thing was shaking violently, panting and crying very loudly, we were very scared.
Today he's much better he's :dogwlk: like a cavalier should :D
I have now read everything I can about doggie first aid and in particular wasp stings!!

Cathy, I would include the Benedryl as you suggested, and also baby's chewable aspirin. A pill cutter... a syringe, or something to administer medicines to a difficult dog. I'd tape dosage information in the lid of the kit as well, because who remembers dosages in an emergency! Not me! :eek:

I bought a basic commercial first aid kit in a canvas bag and then added to it. Last Christmas I gave the same kit with additions to my older nieces and nephews who all have pets. There are some variations but things to include are:

pet first aid guide
topical anticoagulant
antibiotic ointment
insect sting relief pads
alcohol prep pads
lubricatnig jelly pack
Benadryl
Baby aspirin (or regular if larger dog)
leatherman tool and/or
scissors and tweezers
oral syringe
thermometer
ice packs
eye wash
instant cold pack
antiseptic towelettes
Ace bandage
something to use as a splint
rolled gauze, bandages and tape
(of various sizes)
cotton tip applicators
magnifying glass
latex or exam quality vinyl gloves
emergency muzzle (or use tape)
name and contact information for your Vet

I may have missed something but this is a good start (and let me know if you think of something obvious I have left off). I keep a kit in the car, with a human kit as well, and always have an emergency blanket, a couple liter bottles of water and a water bowl (for the dogs).

Good thread (y).

Back