• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

coat king or furminator??

sannie

looking to purchase one of these items for 2 straggly heavy coated cavvies.
can anyone recommend either? I remember the threads from last year regarding the furminator being only useful for dog's undercoats which cavaliers don't have (is that correct)??
Advice pleaseicon_nwunsureicon_nwunsure

They are useful for shedding hair on thick coated dogs or to take out undercoat. :)

The Coat King actually strips out and thins the coat. The Furminator is only supposed to take out dead hair.

The Furminator takes out nothing on Jaspar and Leo, but quite a bit on my cats and on Lily.

I have the Furminator and it works wonders on my Chester. He has a normal coat (not too heavy or too flyaway) and if I use it once a month it really, really cuts down on the shedding. I removes all the dead hair and Chester looks very sleek and shiny afterwards. The first time you use it you will need to work at it for a good while to get all the dead stuff out but after that the maintenance won't take as long. The first time I used it on Chester I worked for about 20 minutes and filled the good part of a gallon Ziploc bag with the dead stuff!

:rah: I can personally attest to the greatness of the Furminator for removing dead hair. :rolleyes:

I posted a question about how Clancy's coat was looking really fuzzy and frizzy. I brush him regularly with a pin brush, and while hair would come out with that, evidently TONS of dead hair was left behind.

I didn't even THINK of the Furminator that I already own. I use it religiously on my Golden Retriever because he has an immense coat. Someone here suggested I try a Coat King or the Furminator on Clancy.

DUH! It never crossed my mind. I've been working on him with it off and on since yesterday, and he looks like different dog completely.

So, if dead hair is your problem, use a Furminator!!

I know it sounds a stupid question but how would I know if Sally has dead fur? What does this look like? She is 6 months old and sheds her fur a lot. I brush her daily with a bristle brush to prevent fur getting all over the house!

I prefer the coat king. Maybe it's just Jake's coat that it works better on. I don't seem to get a whole lot of hair off of him with the furminator but the coat king is great on his curly fluffy booty!

I bought a Furminator recently and I LOVE it! When I can get Rocky to sit still I can get plenty of dead hair off of him. He has a heavy, fluffy coat. I don't get as much off of Patches and Shane, but still a fair amount of dead hair. I've never tried the coat king, at least not yet.:)

i have yet to get a furminator but my friend uses it on her four dags, cat and occasionally on her husband. heehee. she loves it! works great and if you try it on your own head (yes, i have) it doesn't "pull" at the hair so it seems to be more enjoyable for many pets than a regular brush would be.

Wow that does look good. I just watched some of their demos. I got the Mars Coat King and it does work really well, but it worried me that it was cutting the hair. The advertising said it "removes only dead hear" but I could see that this was not the case and that hair was actually being cut.

I might get one of those Furminators. With summer just around the corner I would like to be able to safely debulk my guys a bit.

I know it sounds a stupid question but how would I know if Sally has dead fur? What does this look like?

I'm wondering this too, so I hope someone answers. :confused:

She is 6 months old and sheds her fur a lot. I brush her daily with a bristle brush to prevent fur getting all over the house!

You brush Sally daily!? I wish I was that good! Molly likes to chew on the brush, so it's very difficult to actually get any brushing done. :mad: I have both a bristle brush that doesn't get through the fur on her ears (where it's thickest) and a pin brush that works great. Anyway, now I'm wondering if I did more brushing, would it prevent the huge amounts of fur that are all over the house!? Maybe I'll give that a try. :D

Thanks,
-laura

Dead hair looks fine and wispy, not sleek and shiny, in a Tri-colour it can be black almost to the end and then a fuzzy burnt brown kind of colour, breeders/show people call it "blown coat"! Hope that helps some?

Back