• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does Harvey need the vet? Advise please

Emma n Renco

Hi Everyone,

I ask this because we seem to take Harvey to the vets when it's something simple and end up paying a fortune for the pleasure.

We went away for a weekend leaving Harvey with his grandparents :) and the first night we came back he was starving and ate 2 portions of food. (we asked that they'd fed him much to their horror eek).
He seemed a lot thinner but they have a big garden so we presumed he'd been burning all food off.
Next morning he was full of life but wouldn't touch his food all day or night.
Next morning he was sick as soon as I picked him up - just lots of saliva.
He didn't eat that morning so we bought portion pack expensive food to see if that helped and he wolfed it down so we thought it was just that he'd gone off his food.
Then that night he wouldn't eat again. Now this morning he threw up again and won't eat his food. He's full of energy and just sniffs the food and won't eat (even the new stuff).
Could this be a worm? But I heard that they don't have energy if it is worms? What could the throwing up but just saliva be? We have booked an appointment for this afternoon with the vet but would love some advice as well.
Thanks in advance

Emma and Renco

Last edited:
The liquid would be a mixture of saliva and bile, as his tummy is empty of food, but the refusal of food could be for all kinds of reason. For example , he could have something stuck in his throat, so see your vet.

How did the vet visit go? I hope it wasn't anything to be concerned about. As Barbara says it can be really hard to tell. Dogs can vomit for so many reasons.

How old is Harvey, and how many times is he fed per day? It may be that he needs several small meals to settle his tummy.

I have to feed my adult cavs morning and evening, plus midday treats, or two of them will vomit saliva and bile. They just feel better if fed more often.

Thank you for your posts, he's 6 months old and eats 2 times a day. After I made the post he started eating again, wasn't sick again and so we cancelled the vet as he has been doing everything as normal and is full of life. So strange but if he show anymore signs of anthing again we will take him straight to vet but for now we just think that whatever it was has passed....

Glad to hear he is eating better and has stopped bringing up bile, no real answer to this but puppies can be just like little toddlers at times, FADDY!! Basically a dog will never willingly starve itself, Darcy is also 6 months old and has days where he barely eats and others where he is a total dustbin!!

If he is off his food, being sick and also lethargic and obviously off colour then a trip to the vets is in order but if he is otherwise well and full of energy I would just sit back and observe personnally!!

Back