• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is this the right thing to do

clark67

My Harvey is now 15 weeks and I have a couple of questions need answering if you can?

Like all good dog owners I am fanatical about clearing his mess up and constantly tell the children "dont forget his poo bags" when they take him for a walk. When your out the parks and roads etc have the special poo bins but when we are at home when we clear the mess in the garden the bags are put in our grey wheelie bin. This is then collected once a week by the dustmen which also has the normal household rubbish (minus the recycleable stuff), is this the right place to put it? I have noticed that my bin is really stinking now.

The next question is becuase he hasn't done a poo whilst out on a walk yet he still does it in the garden but how can I train him to go in one spot. He tends to do it wherever, which is not good. He has had tummy problems so his poo isn't that firm really even though he is now on James Wellbeloved. Everytime I clear it I then have to go out with a jug of soapy water to remove what I couldn't get up in the poo bag.

Would love some advice.

When I clean up my dogs poo I put it in a scented nappy bag and put it in the normal bin also. I have seen things in a pet shop that you put into your garden and put the poo into and it just goes into the earth, not sure what they are called though. I would also like to know how I can train my dogs to go in one place, they are both 6, is it too late to train them for that?

Put the dogs on a lead or in a puppy pen outside where you want them to go & wait for them to go. Simple as that. Just consistency & having to be near them so you can praise/reward it.

I have yet to hear one good thing about dog toilets! Most dogs poo too much for them & they get clogged up with too much poo. I'd imagine it would definately be the case in a puppy that goes regularly.

I suffered from your problem, too, except I have four dogs, including a Golden Retriever so you can imagine!

I did find "flushable" poo bags, and they are very convenient, but somewhat expensive. I do use them sometimes, but what I decided is the best disposal method for me is to flush. Luckily, I have a bathroom right inside the door where the dogs go out so I'm not trudging through the house with the scooper.

Ecologically speaking, this is best for the earth, too, because it is not being included at landfills, and is being treated at the water treatment plant. Dog poo can and does contribute to ground water pollution, and is a biohazard risk for disease in both people and animals.

I admit I was kind of grossed out carrying the scooper into the house, but now it seems so natural to flush that I am confused as to why I didn't think of it earlier! :rolleyes:

Some of mine gets picked up with toilet paper and flushed and the rest is collected in plastic bags. The bin doesn't smell if you tie the bag closed and donn't use carrier bags with ventilation holes.

On a flush related note, I have heard it is more likely to block your toilet if you flush dog faeces down your toilet as it is harder to break up. Does anyone know if this is true, as most of my dogs' end up down the toilet too.

On a flush related note, I have heard it is more likely to block your toilet if you flush dog faeces down your toilet as it is harder to break up. Does anyone know if this is true, as most of my dogs' end up down the toilet too.

I would love to know if this it true as well. As we have a half bath just as you come in the back door it would not be that hard to do and I would particularly like to do it if it is environmentally the best way to go.

If you have a concern about it not breaking down, why not call a plumber and just ask??

I can't imagine why it wouldn't just break down, like any other feces.

Our Rosies' poop gets flushed down the toilet, as she's not housebroken completely and seems to prefer to poop indoors.

Once in a blue moon, she'll go in the garden....hope she catches on soon.

She's spending far too much time in her crate, between "outings".

I would love to know if this it true as well. As we have a half bath just as you come in the back door it would not be that hard to do and I would particularly like to do it if it is environmentally the best way to go.

I'm in the US, but I flush all four dogs at once with no problems. And that's one big dog, one medium dog and two small dogs. ;)

I am most interested in this topic of discussion. :D

Molly's poo was not firm when I first got her so I devised this method for picking up and disposing of it: When she (finally) found her spot, I stuck a piece of cardboard under her butt so it landed on that. (Otherwise it could be quite difficult to actually get it all out of the grass.) Then I put it in a plastic supermarket bag (which I tied shut) and put it in a small trash can in my garage which was lined with a small garbage bag. On trash day, that bag got tied shut and went into the "wheelie" trash can. But when it was hot out, I could STILL smell it, even with all that.

But now that her poos are normal, I flush them down the toilet. It occured to me one day that that would eliminate the smell. I assumed it would be best for the environment, but now that you mention it, I guess I don't really know for sure.

By the way, I'm still using the cardboard. I was a bit embarrassed at first, wondering what people would think (hopefully that I am a responsible citizen!) but now I'm so used to it. The only thing is, now that the poo is harder, it tends to roll off and land in the grass anyway. LOL

I'd be curious to hear if people think flushing it down the toilet is safe - for the environment and the toilet.

-laura

I am most interested in this topic of discussion. :D

Molly's poo was not firm when I first got her so I devised this method for picking up and disposing of it: When she (finally) found her spot, I stuck a piece of cardboard under her butt so it landed on that. (Otherwise it could be quite difficult to actually get it all out of the grass.) Then I put it in a plastic supermarket bag (which I tied shut) and put it in a small trash can in my garage which was lined with a small garbage bag. On trash day, that bag got tied shut and went into the "wheelie" trash can. But when it was hot out, I could STILL smell it, even with all that.

But now that her poos are normal, I flush them down the toilet. It occured to me one day that that would eliminate the smell. I assumed it would be best for the environment, but now that you mention it, I guess I don't really know for sure.

By the way, I'm still using the cardboard. I was a bit embarrassed at first, wondering what people would think (hopefully that I am a responsible citizen!) but now I'm so used to it. The only thing is, now that the poo is harder, it tends to roll off and land in the grass anyway. LOL

I'd be curious to hear if people think flushing it down the toilet is safe - for the environment and the toilet.

-laura

If she's got firm poos that roll of the cardboard, why bother with the cardboard anymore? That is probably not very friendly in itself when you don't require it anymore.

Miles usually goes out onto our patio (we live in a condo) to pee and poop, and we keep a roll of toilet paper by the sliding door (hidden behind the tv, but also accessible and convenient) that we grab and bring outside when he's going to the bathroom. We just rip off a few sheets, pick up the poop, run it inside and flush it down the toilet. He's on the raw frozen meat diet, so his poops are pretty firm and we haven't had a problem with the toilet clogging yet :xfngr: That seems to be the most convenient way to dispose of it, since our garbage dumpster is in our building and it would stink if we threw it in there.

-laura

From what I've read environmentally, flushing is THE safest thing to do because it goes through the water treatment program that everything else does. Burying it in the yard or putting it into the landfills is not environmentally friendly because any bacteria, diseases, or parasites are then in the environment, unadulterated.

As far as the toilet goes, dog poo is much smaller than... well, you know!! :eek: And, as I've said, I flush four dog's poos down at once with no problems, ever. If you're not sure you could consult with a plumber, but poo is poo, in my book! :D

This is an interesting thread. I always put Sally's in nappy bags and double bag everything and then put it in the wheelie bin. I do worry about it smelling especially in the summer as our bin only gets emptied every fortnight! We have recently taken out a contract with a local wheelie bin cleaning company to disinfect and deodrise the wheelie bin every 4 weeks. This is costing £30 a pear which is not bad at all. We would do it ourselves but we work on bin emptying days so don't actually have time to wash it and let it dry before we need to put rubbish in it again! I don't think I would fancy taking her poo upstairs to flush down the toilet. I would also worry that it might carry bacteria that would be harmful to humans using the toilet.

This is really interesting, I would never have thought to flush it down the toilet, I guess it makes sense really. I know my o/h will be very grossed out and think I have lost the plot if he see's me coming into the house with the dog poo!! (he refuses to do poo clean up) If its better for the environment I think I will start doing it, does anyone else in Ireland flush or bin?

Back