• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weedkiller

sannie

i'm not sure if this is the right place to post so feel free to move if it isn't! I don't have the perfect back garden but we are spending some time clearing it out this summer, total amateurs us, (in between showers of course). It's quite full of dock leaves, nettles and that awful scurge - bindweed - which is strangling everything - anyhoo, I believe the only thing good for total elimination of these buggers is [SIZE=-1]glyphosate found in 'Roundup' weed killer, I haven't used it before and it does say that it's safe for use with pets in the household, once it dries (about an hour or so).

But still, any advice from all you gardeners out there? Maybe if I sprayed at night and not let the dogs out till morning, if anyone has an alternative I'd be most grateful or even if any experience of this product.
Ta...X
[/SIZE]

I have used Roundup grass and weed killer around the patio. I always follow the directions and allow it to dry completely before I let Annie near it.

Some people have questioned whether Roundup is as safe as the company claims. This article mentions the concerns, and a couple of alternatives.

Here's a link to the Material Safety Data Sheet for Roundup if you want to read all the safety information.

Here's a paper on glyphosphate safety. It was issued by the manufacturer, so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
We've used roundup several times. in fact for the last three years, when we've managed to kill all but the tail ends and then it's poured with rain and made everything grow again.

Seriously , we always use it just before it goes dark , so the dogs can go out as late as possible, then barracade the passage to the back door, so, in an emergency the dogs can go outside. This gives overnight, well over the recommneded safe time to dry. Then next day, the dogs are followed out to make sure they don't eat anything treated.

I always just wait a couple of days, or till after it rains, before I let my dogs go outside where the grass has been treated with anything....but then I am super-overly-cautious too.

I have used roundup, we just moved into a new house and the back garden was just weeds, we sprayed the whole garden mid afternoon and just walked Prince out the front just in case. I dont think its a good idea to use it late at night because there will be most likely dew overnight and this reduces the effects of the roundup as far I as know. I let Prince out the next day and he was fine

I know what they say about being safe for pets but, sorry, I just don't believe them. I've seen too many of my dogs eat grass and I just can't believe those chemicals wouldn't hurt them. My other concern is maybe a little different. I worry about the potential for birth defects; I'll bet that's something they haven't done studies on. So we don't use any type of weed control or even fertilizer in the back yard where the dogs are. And it shows :eek:

The only way I would ever consider doing it would be to temporarily fence an area off, treat the area, then let it sit for a couple days. After it sat for a couple days, I would give it a good couple hours of water sprinkling. And then I'd still worry.

Bruce ,

I sure am with you on this,

I dont know whether Round Up is different here in Scotland ,than other parts of the World ,but I wouldnt let any Animal onto the ground that,s been sprayed with it ,Dogs , Horses etc ,until the weeds have died ,in other words ,turned Brown ,

That takes about a week .

Bet

Back