• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sad!!

Mia

Hi all - haven't been on line for ages! We moved house lots going on anyway have a dilemma. When i was on holidays in Paris I saw a Blenheim for sale in one of those pet shops in a plastic cage. This was last tuesday. Anyway I cried practically the whole time i was there thinking about this little fella who i named Sam. They were selling him for 750 euros and there was no way i could afford him and organise transport back to Ireland. I visited him every day actually more than once a day for the two days we were there as he was just around the corner from our hotel. I was willing someone to buy him and take him home to be loved. All the animals seemed well cared for - clean with adequate food and water but i just can't get Sam out of my mind since i met him. I am sure this has happened to others but how do you manage it? I don't suppose he is a case for rescue but I suppose there is nothing i can do. Advice needed!

Maria

When i was in Gran Canaria in June i was the same. There was no cavs but little french bull dog puppies, yorkies and kittens. I used to go nearly everyday and talk to them. But what can u do. I wished i had the money to buy them, i felt so bad for them.

It's the same in America. I just refuse to go into any pet shop that sells dogs because I would come out crying :(

Mia I am sorry. It really sucks doesn't it. :(

I got my Kosmo from a situation similar to the one you described. I just couldn't get him out of my mind so I made the decision to take him home and care for him myself ... ... ...

Unfortunately I have to say in my experience the stereotypes made about pet store dogs are mostly true. I just got through a bilateral patella surgery with Kosmo last Thursday. He has to be on restriction for the next 8 weeks and it's no fun at all. :( Also the surgery was quite expensive as is all of the after care. Who knows what will come up in the future.

I know it's taxing emotionally, but please, do what you can to stay away in the first place!!! I learned the hard way just as quite a few others have. :( I don't even go in to those places anymore.

Maria, a lot of those French dogs on sale are apparently Irish and Welsh puppy farm dogs they get from brokers. :( Most likely he will go to a good home as the French dote on their dogs. It is hard to walk away but they count on people not being able to. :confused: There are actually very few French breeders. Once he is sold another will just replace him so it is really important never to buy from pet shops or pet sellers like this, as it only bolsters the business case for them to keep buying in more. None of their cats or dogs are from decent breeders as none would allow their puppies/kittens to be sold in this way. They likely paid about €100 at most for him to start with from some broker. I'm glad that selling thru pet shops is not legal in Ireland.

Back