• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I have a poorly Bertie

alibunnylady

Today, I had to rush Bertie to the vets. We went into town to visit some of his shopkeeper friends which he loves doing. It was quite hot out but we kept in the shade as much as possible and were under cover most of the time and it was nice and cool.

Anyway, he was fine one minute and the next, well, he went very very quiet, not like him at all, lethargic and almost falling over where he would be starting to nod off.

I decided to get him home asap and on the way back he had slightly runnyish poop though not excessive and was walking a few yards, then stopping and looking really sorry for himself. He brought up a tiny bit of slime (bile perhaps) at one point.

Got him home and he virtually collapsed in a heap on the floor. He would get up, move to another spot, flop down again, then get up again, flop down again, just couldn't get comfy. Then he was sick, brought up what looked like undigested food from this morning.

I'd never seen him like this before so rang the vet who obviously said bring him in so I rang a friend and her mother dropped everything to come and get us, how wonderfully kind of her.

Anyway, Bertie just wasn't himself, so very quiet, not really intersted in anything or anyone, drooling all the way and while we were waiting to see the doggy doctor.

She examined him quite thoroughly, asked the relevant questions, ie: has he had a chance to pick up something he shouldn't etc etc. His tummy wasn't sensitive when she poked and prodded, couldn't see anything in his mouth/throat, temperature pretty much normal, heart normal, generally everything pretty much normal.

She's not sure what is/was wrong so gave him a steroid jab and an anti inflamatory jab, told me to keep a really close eye on him and if need be, get to the emergency vet in the night though she stipulated that she really doesn't think it will be necessary, she's just making sure I know what to do and everything is covered should I suddenly find myself in that situation.

Anyway, we chatted and apparantly, dogs can sometimes do bizaar things like this if they have licked something like a toad. However, it's usually quite an immediate reaction.

Now, there is a little toadie who comes visiting at night sometimes and he was here last night, not on my patio as that has chicken wire all round and he can't actually get right in, though he is in the grounds of the building. Seems odd that last night toadie was here and today, Bertie gets sick, I'm wondering if he could possibly have licked where the toad had been during the night on our way out or something and maybe that's what's caused this to happen. Weird.

Anyway, enough rambling, hopefully Bertie will be just fine, am staying with him and watching him closely for any change at all, good or bad and have my plan for if we need to take a trip out in the night. At least now he is sleeping and not keeping on getting up and shifting every couple of minutes, he seems relatively comfortable now, phew.

Just thought I would share, having had sheer panic earlier, this boy is my life and if anything happened to him, well, it just doesn't bear thinking about.

Alison

Hiya,

Harry hasn't been himself for the past 2 days, and was vomiting bile at 5am,
the vet has told me he's seen an increase in the number of animals being brought in this past week with the same symptoms, lethargic not eating properly and generally not themselves, he thinks it's the sudden change in tempreture.
Have starved harry today and he's just had a small ammount of bland food and seems to be perking up a little!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that both boys have been unwell, hope they're better soon :hug: :hug: to both Bertie and Harry

I could feel your panic Alison! You did the right thing in getting him right to the vet....your friend and her mom sound wonderful to help you out so quickly. Hope he's feeling better shortly.

Hope he continues to improve - please let us know how he's getting on. :hug: I was thinking it was the heat as I read your post.

Just to let you all know, Bertie perked up a little and had a small amount to eat, he also barked at the fireworks that went off (organised displays throughout summer here).

I too wondered if maybe the heat got to him, will be alot more careful about taking him outside in it from now on, even though I was careful today anyway, I will be even more careful from now on, can't have my baby being poorly.

My poor little sausage, I love him so much!

Alison

Could it have been dehydration????? I am very sensitive to the heat and when I get dehydrated in hot weather I feel very very ill.

I hope Bertie is now back to normal....so glad you were able to get him to the vet quickly! How nice it was for your friend to drive you!

Definitely wasn't dehydration, that was the one thing he wasn't suffering from. Still a bit of a mystery but he is certainly pretty much back to normal today, doing smelly farts though! lol!

Alison

Back