PDA

View Full Version : Corn on the cob-warning



Barbara Nixon
7th August 2007, 11:50 AM
I thought I'd post this because Corn on the cob is very popular in the Us and the topic has just cropped up on Dogpages.

Please don't let your dog, any breed, have a corn husk or even part of it.

A year or so ago, someone on another forum posted that her cavalier bitch was not taking her morning food with her usual enthusiasm. A vet booking was made for the afternoon, but it had to be brought forward, as she became sicker. The vet operated and found a chunk of husk, blocking her gut. This was very odd as the family never ate corn, so either she scavenged, unseen, on a walk or someone tossed a leftover over the fence.

Tragically, the vet rang a couple of hours later, to say that she had died. The damage had been done, undetected over the previous day or so. After someone asked if a cob was a good food source, quite a few people have posted about losing, or nearly losing, quite large dogs.

Please don't feed corn on the cob and make sure that any discarded husks are binned well out of harm's way.

Caraline
7th August 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh yes, they can be terribly dangerous. We have a friend (he's a now retired vet) who's little dog scarfed a whole corn cob & it caused a life threatening obstruction. The dog had to undergo emergency surgery to save his life.

Other objects to be careful of are corks out of wine bottles, small plush toys that can be swallowed whole or that parts can be ripped off & swallowed.

Barbara Nixon
7th August 2007, 12:48 PM
Other objects to be careful of are corks out of wine bottles, small plush toys that can be swallowed whole or that parts can be ripped off & swallowed.


...and those very soft squeaky toys 'specially for small dogs' as bits can easily be removed, even by a small puppy. Many years ago,there was a Yorkie, at my vets, who had an operation because of such a toy (She'd chewed it to get at the squeaker) .