• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tapeworms

Holly

Last night when Bentley pooped, I noticed a flat white worm wiggling around! Yuck!!! We immediately went to the vet and they treated him for tapeworms. When I first got Bentley, I noticed a few fleas on him which we treated with Capstar and Frontline (Oliver, too). The vet said tapeworms come from eating an infected flea. Yuck, yuck, yuck.....hopefully this will take care of it! The vet said it was unlikely that Oliver had gotten tapeworms, too, but to watch carefully. It was really gross!!! Apparently its a bad flea season here in Georgia. Bentley was dewormed at 6 and 9 weeks, but the vet said what they use on young puppies for worms for that doesnt kill tapeworm.

My Patches had a tapeworm once. I also had a cat, Fluffy who seemed to get one often. The white wiggly worm looking things are segments of a mature tapeworm. They are really gross. They dry up and look like a piece of rice on their bedding. My Vets usual treatment was two pills, two to three weeks apart. And yes, they do get them from ingesting an infected flea! and regular worming medication doesn't kill tape worms.

Drontal, one of the most commonly used wormers in UK treats tapeworm. Having studied them as part of my 'O' level course, many many years ago, I understood that they could be caught by swallowing one of the body segments, more commonly excreted than a whole worm, which hangs inside by means of hooks. I'd worm eveybody.

Hi!

Would agree with this advice to worm them both, I use Drontal over here and every one is done every 3 months religously. Most conventional treatments don't kill tapeworms only roundworms in young pups, this is why I use Drontal, fantastic stuff!

The vet game e Dronset or something like that! I wonder if its similar to what you have. I gave one today and another in two weeks.

My cat used to get tapeworms a lot when I lived in Texas. that was in the pre-Frontline days. She never seemed to have fleas (must have though ...) but often had tapeworms. Droncit worked great. It was at the point where I didn't even have to bring her to the vet, I could just call in and ask for it.

Hope they go away fast. Droncit always worked fast for us.

Back