• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Whats in a name?

Cathryn

Every 3 months the UK Kennel Club publishes a booklet for each of the 7 groups called the "Breed Record Supplement". Basically this booklet lists ALL litters registered in the previous 3 months, parents, colour etc, etc. Also tells us how many litters a girl has had, when she last had a litter and then will show you total litters/pups so in Darcy's mums case this was shown as 2/3 I.E 2 litters totalling 3 puppies. Other information to be gleaned is change of ownership, Challenge Certificates awarded, Championships awarded, also results from KC/BVA eye tests, the booklet is a gold mine of information and well worth getting hold of for future reference if you are planning on getting into breeding/showing seriously!

What really tickles me though is the names that some people give these dogs of ours! You basically have the show breeder with their kennel names and themes, then the "shadier" folks who register anything up to and over 12 litters in the 3 months the booklet covers, to the family who's pet girl had a litter.
I sometimes wonder what they were thinking of when they decided to name a puppy
"Pongo Dongo"
"Smarties have The Answer"
"Rooney Right Foot"
"Scarlett Pineapple"
"Lady Cuckoo"
"Gasabang Fluff"
"Dancing on the Ceiling"
"Noodle Doodle"
"Blue Snowy Owl"
"Dinky Doughnut Daisy"
"Heffa Flump"
"Precious Panda"
"Puggy Princess"
"Brave Big Wig"

These are the Registered names for these dogs, I have picked out only a handful for you! There are some incredible names in there too mind you and I was miffed to find out a fellow breeder has had the same idea as me for a theme for naming their puppies and used 3 of the names I had picked out for Crystal's puppies! Grr! Back to the drawing board on that I guess!!

Do any of your dogs have strange Kennel Club names? If so what are they? would love to hear them!!

Mine are comparatively sensible- Claret and Starbar. Our Cocker years ago was Chelsea Flower Girl which is quite nice.

My girls' breeder had a bit of a Harry Potter thing going a couple of years back, so some very Hogwarty names as a result!

I wouldn't call it strange, but my favorite name out of all the dogs we have named was a boy we got from Laughing Cavaliers. Barbara gave us naming rights and we named him Laughing Lazer. We intentionally spelled Lazer differently.

Lady`s name is Camahieu Maritime Lady and Amber`s is Camahieu Cristalle Rose, Lady we had no choice with her name but Amber we were allowed to choose her name

Lady`s name is Camahieu Maritime Lady and Amber`s is Camahieu Cristalle Rose, Lady we had no choice with her name but Amber we were allowed to choose her name

My Crystal with the litter of puppies right now is also "Ttenneb Crystal Rose"!!:lotsaluv:

Elvis came with a name...Sonesta Love Me Tender. If I was trying to think of an 'Elvis' name, I don't think I could've done any better. :cool:

KC

I rather like Heffa Flump. It sounds like a floppy long eared puppy.

I like Joly's because I chose it, the provisor being that it start with E; (Acewall) Enchantment.

Ellie & ezmes parent/ was registered as tinky winky .

Jenny's posh name is contessa mercedes. I think she's the most unusual we've had.

Hi Cathryn
Ttenneb Crystal Rose" I had to change the way I spelt Amber`s name because someone had already used the name, so used the chanel christelle perfume way to spell it

Sam registrated name is Daddys Last
His fathers name was Fairweathers Just William
and his mothers name was teeny Weeny Bopper

Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Oooo, I love the name Enchantment!

And I had always wondered how Elvis got his name - 'Love me Tender' is such a sweet name.

I found an interesting name in India's pedigree - she has a grandsire named (Amantra) Nightmare. I wonder what he was like?! :shock:;)

I think the 'Elvis' came because of the cowlick. Last time we were at the vet, three different people saw him and made an 'Alfalfa!' comment. That mighta been a good name for him. You could name a whole 'gang' of dogs around The Little Rascals. :)

Dylan's name is My Baby Dylan. Not funny names but how about these from his pedigree:

Shadow Moon
Mona Liza
Indian Springs
Ballerina Bay
Celtic Roon
Adorable Fe-Fe

and my favourite, Dylan's great grandma, Ribbons and Lace.

Hmm...not funny names but how about these:

Shadow Moon
Mona Liza
Indian Springs
Ballerina Bay
Celtic Roon
Adorable Fe-Fe

and my favourite, Dylan's great grandma, Ribbons and Lace.

Some dogs there that I know very well indeed!! ;) ;)

Daftest names I ever used were on my first litter of 2, 1 of each, I called them

"Daddy Cool" and "Charlie's Angel" :rotfl: In my defence, their Momma's registered name was "Braddabrook Charlie's Aunt" :rolleyes:

I love Logan's name, I called him "Daydream Believer" as I am of the opinion that you should believe in your dreams in order for them to happen, with him I was proven right when he not only became my first homebred dog to qualify for the following years crufts, and then went on to qualify for Crufts for life!! He also sired my first fully homebred qualifier named "Eternal Dream" for that very reason, they both lived up to their names in my book! As too did Logan's litter sister Sophie, "Rainbow Dream" by being my first homebred to be placed at Crufts, a real end of the rainbow dream!!:lotsaluv:

Teddy is Scarlet Scumble which is quite cute!

Kyla is Coco Chanel - bit of a perfume theme going on there!!

Cruz is Cruise Control - should have been Cruise Missile the way he runs LOL BUT his sister has the best name, Kinky Boots - you're not going to forget that in a hurry!!

Lucy`s name is Blazing Bettina

her parents were Sire- Little Sweet Prince and Dam- Spot Ar Y Trwyn

her grand and great grand parents had some unusual names, here are a few,
Bunant Monopoly
Moody Misti
Salisbury Dream House At Velhouse
Tumble Lady

Last edited:
Daisy is April Blossom delight!
Some of the more elaborate names from her pedigree are "Choya Flippant at Judyland","Flurbeck Flamenco of Alinco" but I love the sire's side of pedigree because they have named a lot of their pups after a monetary theme, "Chantiz" Florin,Coppercoin,Coin delight and half coin!!
Astonishing though was the realisation how often a name appears over the five generation pedigree on both sides and just how line bred they can be.

Back