• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sad day today

Bruce H

Well, some of you may remember Star, she is our girl who was kind of the "costar" of my 5 Months in the Life of a Breeder? The last litter she had (about 6 months ago) was a c-section and since she was 6 years old, we decided to have her spayed at the same time.

We have been talking to a family we know for a while and today Star went home with them :( . I'm happy for Star because she will be so well cared for and the center of attention, but darn it's hard on Kris and I. One of those things I absolutely hate about being a breeder, you can only have so many dogs. I mean, letting puppies go is hard, but this is a thousand times harder.

Maybe later I'll write a little more about her, but right now it's some extra hugs for the rest of our dogs today.

Oh Bruce!! When I first saw this I thought one of your dogs/pups had died. Giving her a home where she can be 'the star' is a gift. To find the best life for our charges is the ultimate selfless act. Hopefully time will shortly mend your heart. Best to you and Kris, Sandy

Bruce & Kris, I am sure this was hard, but Star will have a wonderful new life and be the center of attention. My Luke is a retired stud dog and his breeder gave him to me a year ago last May. Luke is now firmly installed as the lover of the family. He gives such good hugs. I always remember to send pictures of Luke to the breeder to show her how he is doing. I am so thankful to the breeder for trusting me with their loved family member.

It sounds like you have found the perfect home for Star. At least you know that she will have a good life with the new family.

Bruce and Kris,

I read this post to Clint and his first response was, "Why didn't we get to take Star home?????" Wrigley would've loved to have his mommy! I can only imagine how awful it is to saw goodbye to such an amazing dog. She is a gorgeous dog and had so many amazing puppies. You wouldn't by chance email me Star's new families email...if they are ok with that??? We'd love to still 'keep in touch' with Wrigley's mom!!!!

Gosh, I'm choked up with tears just READING your post....I can only imagine it must be heart breaking for you. I am soooo sorry it was time for Star to go to a new home. :hug: I hope in time your heart won't ache as much as it does right now.

*Extra* :hug: for you and Kris! Job well done. Time and keeping busy with new events will ease the pain of letting her go to a new home to be loved forever.

That must have been so difficult. I hope your hearts will mend when you hear how well she is doing with her new family and hopefully they will keep in touch! :hug:

Well, all I can say is Bruce I now have even more respect for you as a breeder. I am fairly new to this board and don't really know all the members yet, but it is so heartwarming to me to see a breeder "care" so much about his dogs and not just think of them as a breeder dog. I am so touched by your sentiments regarding your beloved Star. I can only imagine how hard that must have been, but it just shows how much you truly care about the breed and all your dogs. I am sure she is going to be so loved and cherished and the center of attention in her new home. That has got to be comforting to you.

That would be difficult Bruce. We have become friends with the breeder that we adopted Sonny from & I know they felt the same way about him. I hope the people that Star has gone to keep you informed with her progress and send you heaps of photos of her absolutely loving her new home.... maybe even bring her back for some visits once she has accepted her new place as home.

:hug:

This must be so hard for you and Kris, but hopefully time, and the knowledge that Star is in a great new home will make things a wee bit easier each day :hug:

Bruce & Kris,

I am so heartbroken for you today. Your sense of loss in letting Star go is absolutely palpable. That was a really difficult decision to make. I hope Star's new family keep you updated on her progress and adventures. Meanwhile :hug: :hug: :hug: to you both and to all your dogs.

Tan x

Can only echo what the others have already said already, plus from personnal experience I know how hard this decision is to make, but Star will be the centre of that families life from now on and have a truly wonderful retirement for many years to come I am sure!!

:hug: for you and :hug: for Kris too!

Bruce and Kris:

Its wonderful that you care so about your little lady in her retirement. You have done very well by her and at the same time given your friends the incredible gift of her companionship. May they have many years with her.

Sending you hugs today! It must be dificult to let one of your own go. I have friends who are breeders and I know that they also experience the same thing. It is bittersweet.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and support. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I know it will just take some time to adjust to life without her. This isn't the first time we have had to do this and it won't be the last. It's kind of funny how I have got into such a routine. When we do "All dogs out" (our way of letting them know it's time to go outside), Star always takes her sweet time and we always have to watch to see that Star goes out with the rest. Well last night, without even thinking, I went back in the living room calling for Star because I didn't see her go out. I am definately a creature of habit :) ! So now we also have to see who will take over for Star as reigning ball king/queen. We had to hide the ball when we had had enough throwing. There are a couple contenders, but they have some awfully big shoes to fill.

The family she went home to is just great, so no worries there. They said they would contact us in a few days to let us know how she is doing. Can't wait to hear from them. It's awful to say, but I think I miss Star as much as my daughter when she left home to go out on her own. Of course, on the bright side, Star won't be calling me looking for money every month like my daughter did :lol: .

Thanks again!

How sad and happy all at the same time! Star is probably missing you all too---it's got to be strange for her not to have that pack dynamic, but yet she's probably basking in having all the attention for herself!

I used to work with a woman who has one of Star's pups, she always said how beautiful Star was and that she hopes her little girl turns out the same. She also had wonderful things to say about you and Kris. :D

It's awful to say, but I think I miss Star as much as my daughter when she left home to go out on her own.

I will never forget the day we picked up Chocolate to take her home. Both her breeder and the kennel manager were in tears when saying goodbye to her. We take her back there every 6 weeks for grooming and leave her with them all day, so they can get their Chocolate fix!:)

HI -

I just got a CKCS two weeks ago. She was 7 months old when I picked her up from the breeder. The breeder was rather "cool" in dealing with me. I gathered Pickles up in my arms and said our goodbyes and as I walked away I turned around and the breeder was almost breaking down in tears.

I called her a few days later and let her know that all is well and Pickles is happy.

Jen says it well, sad and happy at the same time. Rehoming in this way must be so bittersweet. I am sure it helps a bit to have all new puppies full of love in the house but goodness it would be hard to rehome a dog you've had for so long. But it gives a new family such joy to provide a retirement home, too. :flwr:

Back