• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wrigley update

Wrigs Mom

Little Wrigley is on the mend!!!! For the past few days, he's been eating like a pig, initiating playtime, barking at golfers (we live on the course), and being his usual spunky self!!! All of thee behaviors are completely normal for him, so it's a great sign! I spoke to our breeder and she really thought that Wrigs could've had some liver problems from a poison....such as mushrooms or fertilizer. We did fertilize this year and almost all of our neighbors do, too. This is a huge possibility for Wrigs. I will only be 100% relieved on Aug. 23 when Wrigley gets his blood re-test. If everything comes out normal, I will let out a sigh of relief. This was an awful week. The *only* thing I'm struggling with is what to do with Wrigley's diet. I, personally, do not think (as the vet does) that Wrigs food is the issue. He's eaten Royal Canin Mini Light 30 for 2 years with no problem. He LOVES it :) Now, the vet has him on some gross Hills Prescription Diet wet food and next week suggested doing that food in the morning and Purina Pro Plan (dry) at night. I'm torn. BOTH these foods have animal by-products in them. Why would a vet recommend that over Royal Canin, which has NO by-products??? Part of me feels like I should feed Wrigley what he likes and what I feel comfortable with. Part of me says I'm not a doctor and don't know what's best. I WILL throw out all of the Royal Canin we have now (in case there was something wrong with it) and I really want to start over with this brand. It's tough. Do I listen to the vet or my instinct????

I am shocked at how little animal nutrition vets study. The study of animal health is such a huge, diverse area, unless a doctor has a sub specialty (nutrition, reproduction, etc...) they are truly like your general practioner. You shouldn't feel bad about questioning your doctors (or vets) suggestions. In a way, it is your responsibility to do so. jmo

I understand your concern about the quality of the food you wish to give to your dog. Did the vet explain why he suggested a change in diet? Was this change only a short-term thing to rule out food issues, or was the suggestion of a permanent nature? I always thought that vets only prescribed Hills Prescription Diet short term, until things settle down and to see if the problem is diet related.

Ultimately, you get to make the decision on what to feed your dog, but I do think it would be wise to find out why the vet suggested the change & for how long. There may have been some deeper underlying reason than simply to go with a different brand long term.

People often forget the power of questioning when visiting the vet or the doctor. We should never just take things on face value, but should seek an understanding as to why a course of action has been taken. Knowledge is power. :)

Let us know what he says?

I sort of understand why he prescribed the Hills wet food--in order to settle his stomach. But as far as switching from your regular premium kibble to a kibble with by-products is beyond me. If I were you, I'd find out why and if there's not a REALLY good reason, I would put him back on the Royal Canin--just my 2 cents...:)

I'm so glad Wrigley is feeling better--what a relief! :rah:

Well, after all the research, I decided to go with Canidae dry dog food. It's what Kris and Bruce gave Wrigs when he was little and seems to be very highly rated. The ONLY reason we ever stopped it was because Wrigs went through a picky stage and refused to eat it. Now, he'll eat almost anything! I just mixed some Hills wet with a little of Canidae dry to just ease him into it. I felt that i needed to go with my gut on this one. I'm not going to call the vet right away and let him know Wrigs is on Canidae, but I will tell him when we go into see him next. I feel confident with my reasons not go with what the vet recommended. Wrigley is doing really well and his tummy issue has settled down. I'm just crossing my fingers the blood tests come back normal in a week and a half.

I think that's a good decision. Unless there was a specific reason for the food....put him on what you're comfortable with and a high quality food. I feed both of mine Primal raw and my vets don't approve (they don't approve of any raw food). But they don't give me any flack about it.

Back