PDA

View Full Version : Know of any supertough toys??

nursejess80
13th August 2007, 06:01 AM
I am in need of some advice. Ruby is an incredibly powerful chewer for such a small little thing. She completely demolishes her toys, even the ones that are supposed to be "durable", whatever the heck they mean by that. I can't find a durable toy anywhere. I got her this orca rope and rubber thing, and she had the rope ripped in half within a few hours and was starting to tear off small pieces of the rubber. It's supposed to be designed for aggressive chewers, but I don't think they had Ruby in mind when they made them! Do any of you know of any good toys for strong chewers?? Surprisingly enough, she hasn't destroyed several of the first plush toys we ever got her. Just the new ones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm scared to leave anything with her now for fear that she'll swallow a piece of rubber or something.....

sallymum
13th August 2007, 02:39 PM
sorry cant be of much help as my lot are the same. The only toy i have found that they cant rip to piceses is a Kong. I found the middle size one is good.

Cathy T
13th August 2007, 03:32 PM
Take a look at these: http://www.caninegenius.com/

One of the partners in this company owns a Cavalier and is currently fostering one. I have two of the mini leos and Jake especially enjoys his.

Karlin
13th August 2007, 05:35 PM
www.helpingudders.com has a lot of great tough toys and other cool stuff -- plus you can designate a portion of your purchase price to go to cav rescue Lucky Star.

jennifer
13th August 2007, 06:04 PM
I am not the right person to ask but as sallymum said a kong is very strong and maybe something made of rubber. Well I tried.:D :D

arasara
13th August 2007, 07:06 PM
these ones are pretty expensive but they are really really good quality. Kosmo and Faith will be getting some for christmas this year ;)

http://www.edogtoy.com/retail/files/

they also sell them at www.dog.com for fairly inexpensive.

Let me know if you try them how you like them please :)

Thelly
13th August 2007, 07:31 PM
Mine have a Kong and haven't been able to destroy it! Have it a good while too. Keeps them nice and quite by times :D

nursejess80
13th August 2007, 07:41 PM
Ruby has 2 kongs, but she only plays with them when there is a treat inside. They've held up, but I just want something else for her to play with since she doesn't have much to do with them. I'll check out these toys you've suggested!!! Thanks for the info!

Cathy Moon
14th August 2007, 11:54 AM
I would recommend different shapes of kongs. There is one shaped like a flying saucer that you can fit a dog biscuit in the middle - it has a nice chewing edge. Also, the small red kong - they used to chew on the small end.

I also use the durable plastic nylabones for my strong chewer. NOT the edible ones!

KingstonsMom
15th August 2007, 05:46 PM
I feel your pain. Try a black Kong or a Hurley bone. Kingston loves Nylabones, especially the DoubleAction chew, and they last forever. Also try an Orka Jack. It's made of a blue rubbery material that is very hard to destroy. I bought mine online from New York Dog Shop, but I noticed Amazon.com sells them for a little cheaper. I've noticed that round balls (rubber, vinyl, or latex) are good for heavy chewers as well. I think the shape makes them more difficult to chew up. Just steer clear of tennis balls or anything else with a fuzzy outer layer.

I've done my research, as I've lost hundreds of dollars on toys that Kingston has ruined in a matter of minutes, and those are the toys I highly recommend.