PDA

View Full Version : Puppia size!!

jennifer
14th August 2007, 10:40 AM
Been looking around on the internet but not sure what size a puppia would be for a fairly large cavy. Has anyone got any surgesstions? Do you think it should be x large, large or medium?icon_nwunsure :)

Karlin
14th August 2007, 11:12 AM
Well, there are a lot of different answers to that. :lol: The first question has to be, how large is 'fairly large'? What does he weigh? More importantly, you should follow the measurements on how to fit a Puppia that are given on most websites.

And that said, all the styles fit differently -- one of the things I HATE about Puppia is there's little consistency to the sizes. I have dogs that fit in a medium in one style and need a large in another style. :confused:

Also they are really designed for smallish dogs so a really big cavalier won't even fit an extra large. Eg over 25lbs or so probably is too big for a Puppia.

Posh Paws has a guide to measuring a dog and then you can click to enlarge a puppia sizing chart.

http://www.poshpaws.ie/acatalog/Sizes.html

Emma n Renco
14th August 2007, 12:02 PM
well we ordered a medium for Harvey, 6 months old and it didn't go over his head! Got a large in the end and it goes over his head and is a bit loose around him but we tightened it and it is perfect now. Harvey's not big really, you can see photos on our posts for an idea. I would recommend XL if he's a bit bigger :-)

jennifer
14th August 2007, 12:27 PM
Right. thanks. His other one is an extra large so maybe thats the size to go with. But with that one it is a different design.:confused:

Mycavyangels
14th August 2007, 12:49 PM
i would say large, my dogs rosie, and Buddy both wear size large puppia harness :D

Emma n Renco
14th August 2007, 01:00 PM
I am not sure really about the styles of the puppias, the one Harvey wears seems the same as the ones always on the other members cavs on here. Our shop on line took it back and exchanged it for us, so maybe check that they will do that for you first before you buy.

Karlin
14th August 2007, 01:22 PM
The jacket-style sizes run far smaller than the other Puppias and the pink and blue striped and flowered designs are a smaller design than the denim jackets. Lily wears a large in the denim jacket and she weighs 12 lbs!! She couldn't even fit in the blue and white striped jacket in a large.

Davy
14th August 2007, 06:30 PM
Have you thought of trying a Dear Dog harness. They are like puppia but they do larger sizes.

My SiânE would not fit into a puppia but I had no problem with the Dear Dog harness.

loveisokay
14th August 2007, 09:35 PM
Okay, I am worried now. I bought a Puppia over the weekend & went off the examples they gave (medium for a Cocker, it said!) so I got a small. I hope it fits. :confused:

Cathryn
14th August 2007, 10:17 PM
As a rough guide Darcy is a large at 6 and 1/2 months but has already reached his adult height and weighs roughly 17lbs!

cy1266
14th August 2007, 11:48 PM
I would order a large or x-large for your large Cavalier. I just received Miles' (4 months, about 11 pounds) first Puppia yesterday, and I ordered a medium. I measured him and went by the chart on the website where I ordered it, and he was just big enough for a medium. It's a bit big (especially in the neck since you can't adjust it), but it works for now and should last him a few months. It's the western (stripes) style, which I heard might even run a bit small.

Wexford
15th August 2007, 05:38 AM
I'm a Westie and I weigh 18 pounds. I wear a size Medium puppia harness.

jennifer
15th August 2007, 10:40 AM
Have you thought of trying a Dear Dog harness. They are like puppia but they do larger sizes.

My SiânE would not fit into a puppia but I had no problem with the Dear Dog harness.
That sounds like a good idea. Which websites can you get them from?

Davy
16th August 2007, 07:24 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Which websites can you get them from?

Here is a link to a thread where you can buy them, Effie is a member of this board..

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showpost.php?p=206654&postcount=1

Elude
16th August 2007, 08:13 PM
At 14.5 pounds and almost 9 months Zoey is wearing a medium puppia harness. However its getting pretty snug around the neck and its a pain to put over her head. The large is still very big on her chest but fits better over her head. I guess shes in between sizes.