• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Slobbering

shippers

I was walking Sally yesterday in the fields and noticed she was slobbering a lot and going frothy around her mouth. Otherwise she was her normal self and didn't seem over tired. I thought it might be because she was desperate for a drink but she drank before and after her walk. She is 6 1/2 months old now. Has anyone else's cavalier done this?

Hi!

Darcy (also 6 and 1/2 months old) did this for the first time in the car the other day, he is well used to car travel, so think he may have been a bit worked up/ excited about his journey is all!

Hope that is all it is. She does get excited when she out. I thought maybe she had licked a nettle or something ....... but not sure really

It could be nothing more than excitement, after all she has has a period of house confinement hasn't she? Bless her, so glad to hear all is well again BTW!!

Miles (4 months) sometimes has a little frothy mouth when we walk, but it's usually towards the end of our walk, when he's getting tired...it's also been pretty hot here, which I'm guessing has something to do with it.

Drooling can be a sign that a dog's tummy is upset. One morning I woke up and Sammy was drooling a lot - I really mean a lot, drooling all over his neck - and he never drools at all ususally.

I had had a party the day before and a friend's child had given him her plate of food (before I had a chance to stop her), so I think there must have been some chocolate on it. I called the vet and she told me to get charcoal tablets from the pharmacy. She also asked if there was something stuck in the back of his mouth (which there wasn't), as that can also cause drooling. The charcoal did the trick, and he was already better after an hour or so. But it's best to call your vet first!

Ammendment: just read your post about the paint, poor baby! It could be just that she's still feeling a bit poorly and her tummy is upset for that reason.

Last edited:
Dogs can drool & slobber if they are a bit anxious, and if it happens in the car is often early signs of motion sickness. Some smells with cause them to slobber profusely too. When I am grooming my Cavaliers, my Sam the Boxer gets jealous unless he gets some of the pretty-boy smell sprayed on him, but then he will slobber profusely for about 5 minutes afterwards.

Shelby slobbers at the dog park....I mean she has ropes of drool off her mouth. I carry a washcloth in my bag because she gets so drooly. That's the only time she drools......except when she's waiting patiently for a special treat ;)

Harvey is also 6 1/2 months and has just started to do the same thing on walks! Glad you mentioned it as it's a bit gross. :) When he shakes his head he gets a lovely slobber string across his nose... :)

I think from reading the replies she may have just been tired because it was towards the end of our walk and from having to stay in recently due to the paint incident she may have lost a bit of fitness. I will mention it to the vet on our next visit

Back