• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My poor Sam has to sleep at the vets

Caraline

Ohhhh! I hate it when my babies aren't home with me. My 9 y/o Sam the Boxer had to undergo surgery today for some problems in his mouth. Old Boxers are notorious for their dreadful mouths and Sam is no exception. He also is an anaesthetic risk with a reputation for being highly unstable while under. Last time he needed an anaesthetic the vets had to abandone half of what they had hoped to do because of this. So for some time now our vet has been making us aware that Sam's mouth would one day need attention but due to his risks, that we should wait until it is totally necessary. This morning I knew that the time had come, as Sam was salivating & working his tongue around his mouth as though he was uncomfortable. So I took him around to the vets & left him there, with my heart in my throat.

I rang at 3 and was given the great news that Sam was safely out of anaesthetic (big sigh of relief) but that one tooth was much worse than it seemed, with deep infection. Apparently his mouth bled quite a lot and though the bleeding has now stopped, the vet does not want to move him in case it starts up bleeding again.

So I have to leave him there over night and I hate it. I know he will be scared. I really hate it. :(

Oh Caraline, I am so sorry to hear about Sam, I am sure he will be fine though, he is in the best place, he will be well looked after dont you worry. Sending lots of :hug: for you and Sam

Oh, poor Sam. That's wonderful though that he made it safely through all this work as I am sure it ill be so much more comfortable for him now -- and it is all over and done. Hope he heals quickly now -- hard to leave him there but I am sure he must have been so groggy that he'd mostly sleep his time away. :flwr: Tell us how he is when you go get him today!

Fantastic news that Sam made it through the anaesthetic ok. I'm so sorry you have to leave him there overnight. I know this can be very hard, but he's in the absolutely best place in case he needs any further interventions.

I hope that Sam is back to his normal self, soon.

Teeth are the safest thing to have an anaesthetic for, because the vet can instantly reverse the effect; something he can't do in the case of internal surgery.

Due to Izzy's severe murmur, my old vet used to do his regular dentals under sedation, but the new vet said that anaesthetic is actually safer, so used that on Monty.

So glad to hear Sam came thru the anasthetic well, sending him big :hug: s for when he gets home :flwr:

oh Caraline that must have been such a worry for you :(

Thank goodness Sam came through the anaesthetic ok, although hard, it sounds like it was the most sensible thing to do to leave him at the vets. He's prob still a bit groggy anyway, so will just sleep - and by the time you get him home, he will be bouncing again and very pleased to see you.

I hope he's improving and will be ready to come home soon. :hug: It is upsetting to leave them when they're ill, but I'm glad your vet is taking precautions! :flwr:

Really feel for u, hopefully the worst is now over, give ur self and ur lad a big :hug: from me and the gang. Let us know when u get an update.:flwr:

:hug: so sorry that you had to leave him there overnight....it's almost like a part of you is missing when they are away, isn't it? BUT great news that he made it safely through and can be on the mend now. He's lucky to have such a great mum that takes such good care of him! :flwr:

Oh Caraline! :hug:

I am sure that Sam will be just fine, he'll have lots of nurses there to look after him and make a huge fuss of him too! Best place for him "just in case" and I think the vet wise to "Err on the side of caution" will be thinking of you all! :hug:

Caraline--I'm so glad Sam came through surgery alright--and sorry to hear he's having to stay over tonight.

Big hugs to you and Sam--he'll be back in your arms tomorrow! :paw:

Caraline:

Tell Sam that his friend here are all thinking of him. We hope he will be back to his old self soom. Give him lots of hugs and kisses for us

Hey, thanks for your kind words everyone.

I woke up throught he night to the sounds of thunder and my heart ached because I know Sam is terrified of storms.

Anyway, he is home safe now. We bolted around to the vets first thing this morning. Poor fellow looks a bit miserable. He's on antibiotics & pain killers, both of which I know make him nauseaus. He's had a little breckie, and is now snuggled up in front of the fire.

I'm off now to go give him another cuddle.

Back