PDA

View Full Version : FOSTERED: Possible cav cross, Dublin pound

Karlin
16th August 2007, 11:11 PM
This one is in the pound in Dublin; listed as a chocolate springer cross as a guess, but I'd say just as likely to be a cavalier cross, as he looks fairly small to be a springer X. A very handsome dog, has til August 20th.

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=54072

Please note that you can go book this dog directly at the pound or offer help to the rescuers working out of that pound as noted on the contact details on the link. I am not the rescue contact for this dog so anyone offering help will need to talk to those rescue folks listed.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/susiebelle/Stray980Barnes.jpg

Barbara Nixon
17th August 2007, 11:05 AM
He's gorgeous, but I reckon there is springer in him, going by the forehead. Some of the working strains are quite small nowadays.

sallymum
17th August 2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah he is the spit of my neighbours springer. I went to check she still has her dog, she has.

Karlin
17th August 2007, 11:26 AM
Whatever the mix may be, I do try to include spaniel mixes from the pound here especially when there's a chance of a cavalier mix; he is on death row and that's the point of the post. :thmbsup: This dog will be put down on the 20th so if anyone is interested or knows someone interested in this handsome spaniel mix dog, his time is very, very limited.

Sue.k
17th August 2007, 11:51 AM
Oh my god, I hope someone takes him home, I would hate to think that such a beaufitul dog could be put to sleep :(

misty
17th August 2007, 12:13 PM
After speaking to a rescue friend in the south of England, I understand a rescue over here are working to try and secure his safety.

Everything crossed here - will keep you updated as I find out more.

Angelrays
17th August 2007, 04:26 PM
I eventually made contact with the lady about this little chap. I had left a message on the mobile number but I did not get a call. I must say that she certainly was not that helpful about information on him - and initially didn't know which dog I was actually talking about. I do hope for his sake, someone comes forward to claim/book him. She said that he is the size of a Springer Spaniel.

Karlin
17th August 2007, 04:52 PM
I should explain a bit about how general rescue works with these small groups that do pound rescue (the most difficult type of rescue). :flwr:

The rescue people are trying to home about 40-50 dogs from that one pound at any time, so they don't tend to easily remember a specific dog especially as there are several spaniel crosses and springers in there at the moment. If you look at that forum:

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=4

you can see how many dogs are listed there and ALL are urgent -- they are all at risk of being killed right away. The rescuers are always under a huge amount of pressure, trying to find places daily for many dogs, and can be brusque and don;t really have time to give general info out; they are looking for immediate help to get a dog safe. Strays only get 5 days before they are put down hence they are constantly racing against time. Surrenders can be killed immediately but generally get only 24 hours.

If anyone is interested in a given dog it would make the most sense to go directly to the pound to view the dog, walk it and see if you want it, as rescue only gets a dog if no one else takes it and it isn't reclaimed. Much better to home it directly from the pound. The rescuers won't have any specific information on each dog as they simply go in, get a picture and whatever info the pound has on the dog (it's not like my rescue, where dogs go straight to a foster; this is the city pound and there are dozens of dogs in there). In general pounds don't have much information anyway, on any dog except where it was found and if it gets along with other dogs in the pound. They won't know its background, or how it is with kids, for example.

This dog WILL be put down on Tuesday so I stress again that if any individual wishes to home it, get in to the pound. If it goes out to rescue it may not be available for homing to anyone here any longer.

In general I know from past experience that the rescuers would ask that people contact them only if they can directly offer help or are interested in homing directly, or fostering a dog for them. General info questions should go to the pound, not rescue. :thmbsup:

Angelrays
17th August 2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for that. I can appreciate that they are under a huge amount of pressure. Its just that I live over 2 hours drive from Dublin so thought it would be a good idea to get a little information on him if possible before making the journey. The lady I spoke to did say that he was very depressed (looks it in the photo). I am going to endeavour to make a journey if I can over the weekend. :xfngr: Sorry about my previous message and if it sounded unsympathetic - looking online recently, it astounds me to see how many beautiful dogs (big and small) have been surrendered/abandoned etc. It shocks me to think that people can do it!! I am looking for a small dog so didnt want to dissapoint Barnes (or fall in love with him) and not be able to take him.

Cathryn
18th August 2007, 04:13 PM
Oh I do hope that this one can be gotten out in time! He looks a lovely lad in need of some human company! :xfngr: :xfngr:

Karlin
18th August 2007, 04:20 PM
He looks a pretty small springer sized dog going by the size of the print on the ads behind him. I know those kennels at that pound fairly well. You didn't sound indifferent at all, I just wasn't sure if you'd phoned to get info to post here or because you wanted more info on the dog. :thmbsup: I know those researchers and they can be brusque; they deal with so many dogs day in and day out and generally don;t get around to returning calls -- texting is often a better approach.

The pound is only open 10-12 on weekends now, I believe. I think also that Ashton no longer will home on weekends; you can book a dog but not take them til a weekday. Not sure why they brought that in.

Weekdays they are open full day. I think he looks like a gorgeous dog.

misty
20th August 2007, 09:08 AM
Angelrays, did you go and see Barnes at the pound?

His time is up today and I can't get hold of Dogs In Distress at the moment.

Karlin
20th August 2007, 11:10 AM
Tried to reach them as well: I did post to the thread but has to be cleared by moderators. :xfngr:

Karlin
20th August 2007, 12:48 PM
Dog is out and safe in foster but I don't know yet what the next plan is -- eg who he is in foster for. Fran I asked that someone contact you directly to let you know the situation.

Karlin
20th August 2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like he isn't in foster for anyone in Ireland, so Fran be sure to get in touch with Marie for details. The other rescuers who help her said to keep trying for Marie as she is just really busy right now. But the dog is safe. :)

misty
20th August 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Karlin.

I've been really worried about this dog all morning. It turns out Marie has got him and he's really depressed :(.

But at least he is safe.

I've offered help this end if Marie requires it!

Barbara Nixon
20th August 2007, 03:02 PM
I'm so glad. This dog has been haunting me all weekend.

Karlin
20th August 2007, 03:13 PM
Oh good, I am glad the relevant parties have now all been in touch. :flwr:

misty
20th August 2007, 03:25 PM
I'm so glad. This dog has been haunting me all weekend.

Me too, Barbara.

We all know they can't all be saved, but once you know about them, they get to you :(.

Aileen
20th August 2007, 04:08 PM
Me too, Barbara.

We all know they can't all be saved, but once you know about them, they get to you :(.
Me Too
I kept coming back to see if there was any news so pleased
----Aileen and the gang(Barney----Jazzie---Sam)

Angelrays
22nd August 2007, 04:25 PM
Sorry - only getting to check the thread now. Have had an extremely hectic weekend and didnt get a chance to get to the pound. I am so pleased that he is being fostered right now. In hindsight (and having spoken to many people), I have been told that a female dog would be better - just so that my 3 year old lab (boy) doesn't feel put out. I just hope this little chap gets a nice place to call home soon. Keeping all crossed for him.:xfngr: