• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flaky skin

Ali

As I was brushing Molly this morning I noticed that she has developed very flaky skin and has a lot of 'dandruff'. She's 9 weeks old - is this a normal 'puppy symptom' or should I be concerned??

Take her to the vet for a skin scrape -- this could very likely be rabbit mites and need to be treated. May also just be dry skin. A good quality food (eg not from the supermarket; I'd recommend JamesWellbeloved for dry skin issues) will help. (y)

She's fed on Hills science plan and I've started to add a little olive oil to it on the advice of the vet for a healthy coat. Tara actually gave me a bag of the James Wellbeloved to try but have already changed her food once so didn't want to change again so quickly. I managed to speak to vet this afternoon and she told me that its quite normal for puppies to shed dead skin cells and to just keep up with the regular brushing as it acts as a kind of exfoliator :)

Oh that's good that you got some direct vet feedback; they'd know if she was likely to have any problems as they must have seen her recently anyway. With rabbit mites they get dry flakes and scratch a lot. Puppies often have this; Jaspar did.

India had dry, flaky skin when she was a puppy. The vet gave us 3V Caps Skin Formula for her, and her problem went away.

Actually took Molly to the vet today and she said there's no infection and advised me to give her a daily dose of cod liver oil mixed in with her food to relieve the dry skin. Also, had her weighed and she's up to 5 kilo's!!! Can't believe how much she's grown in 2 weeks. She's adorable :luv:

I noticed Reggie has "dandruff" after his bath today. I'm thinking maybe we didn't get all the soap out? We already went through scratching a lot and after skin scrapes, etc, we found out it was us not getting the soap out when we were bathing him. He's 4 1/2 months old.

Back