• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fire Guards

shippers

As winter will soon be upon us I am thinking of buying a fire guard to prevent Sally from getting too close to the fire on cold winter nights. I was talking to a friend who said her two collies just seem to know not to go near it but I'm not sure Sally would know this. I was wondering if other people use fire guards and what people would suggest? I'm terrified her tail would waft in it!

I think i would get a fire guard as u said i would be afraid of their tail dragging in the fire. Better safe than sorry.(y)

It was a daft question for me to ask really. We'll be getting a fire guard before we use the fire this year.

It's the wagging tails when a dog turns around that can be the risk. Jaspar once burned off a good chunk of hair from his tail because he got on the table when I was saying goodbye to dinner guests at the door and walked past a candle. :yikes Since then I blow out all the candles and keep chairs pushed in if no one is at the table (and pen the dogs into the kitchen). But they can have no clue about an open flame or a fire and could turn and ignite their tails off an open fire.

Jaspar will walk right up to the fire so I definitely need a fire/spark guard. If this is an open fire you'd want a guard anyway for fire safety (for sparks) but I think generally it's good to have one for a gas fire etc too as a visiting child could also be at risk. Just a good thing to have in the house. :)

Would agree to a fire guard being the best bet, one of my old lads, Caspar was lying in front of Mum and Dad's fire and managed to singe some of the coat onhis back, he just carried on snoring totally oblivious to the fact that he was smoking away!! No harm done, just a little singe mark about an inch long, they soon got a fireguard! :lol:

Back