• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toilet problems please help

clark67

We have a 16 week old cav called Harvey. He was doing really well with his toilet training and as long as the door was open he would go out to the toilet. Over the past two days he is doing it anywhere. This morning a pooh on the bathroom floor and just now a wee outside the bathroom. Yesterday pooh's on the living room carpet just as you walk into the door. My carpets now look awful and am desperate to clean them but what with? When I wash the kithchen and utility floor which is lino I put my normal washing powder in the bucket.

This is starting to stress me now what do I do?

First of all limit the amount of freedom your puppy has if you cannot be there to supervise him, sounds like he is allowed to have the run of the house? Limit that until he has better control, even at 16 weeks he still very much a baby and if carried away on an upstairs adventure will forget that he is meant to "go" outside or will simply not be able to hold on long enough to reach the back door!

As for something to clean your carpets, I first off use 1001 foam shampoo, which is available in a spray foam with a brush tool on the top, great for this kind of thing, then follow this up by going over with an enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell so he doesn't think he can use that spot all the time!! Don't use bleach for this job as it contains ammonia and will re-inforce the smell of where he had his accident!

Hope this is of help, be patient with him, limit his freedom and remember he is still incredibly young! :lotsaluv:

Agree with Cathryn here. It takes a couple of months to housetrain a dog generally, and going *room by room* (eg a puppy housetrained to the kitchen will not recognise the sitting room as another area it is supposed to be housetrained in, til you train him to that room, too) with most not really reliable til about age one, so your pup is really only just bginning to learn and cannot be given this much freedom. (y) You need loads of structure and supervision at this age, and to be taking him out each and every time, on a lead prefereably, so you know he has gone and what he has done (pee or poop). Then immediately after waking, playing, eating, drinking.

This topic has come up a lot of late so you might check some earlier threads in this section and the training section; also there's lots of info here; I'd STRONGLY recommend getting the Kalstone book as it gives full, detailed guiance on housetraining including schedules to match different home/work situations:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11857

Also this has loads of very good general puppy info on everything from housetraining to crate training, bite inhibition, etc:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9735

Don't worry, you will get there, but it takes a lot of time and patience and positive encouragement/rewards (NEVER punishment) with puppies! :)

First of all limit the amount of freedom your puppy has if you cannot be there to supervise him, sounds like he is allowed to have the run of the house? Limit that until he has better control, even at 16 weeks he still very much a baby and if carried away on an upstairs adventure will forget that he is meant to "go" outside or will simply not be able to hold on long enough to reach the back door!

As for something to clean your carpets, I first off use 1001 foam shampoo, which is available in a spray foam with a brush tool on the top, great for this kind of thing, then follow this up by going over with an enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell so he doesn't think he can use that spot all the time!! Don't use bleach for this job as it contains ammonia and will re-inforce the smell of where he had his accident!

Hope this is of help, be patient with him, limit his freedom and remember he is still incredibly young! :lotsaluv:

What enzymatic cleaner do you recommend?

Hi!

I generally use a weak solution of biological washing powder/liquid and dab that in gently, this usually does the trick!! After 5 generations of puppies being trained I can honestly recommend Persil!! Follow it with a quick spritz of OUST and hey presto!!

Hey if you think 1 is hard to train, I will be keeping 3 pups in my current litter, how's that for a challenge? :lol:

Good Luck!! (y)

Cathryn - which ones will you keep?

Teddy, Morgan and Sassy!! Taylor has a home already ticking off the days and Diamond has 2 potential families coming to be interviewed this week-end :D :D

It is VERY rare for me to "run on" 2 boys, in fact this is the first time I have ever done it, but there is so much I like about both that I want to be totally certain that I keep the right one!! There is much that can still go wrong, my beautiful Darcy has a HUGE "if" about him right now (NOT saying what!) this is the tough part of breeding and showing, I know what I like and these 2 boys have it but there is something about both of them that is a "if" right now, so we shall see what Momma Nature pre-programmed them to finish up as and make a decision later!

I ordered the Kalstone book from amazon and it arrived today - and I have to say it does offer some very sound advice!!! A lot of what it suggests we were already doing, but the sample schedules are so helpful and there are some things we just hadn't thought about. Thanks for the tip Karlin, its a great book particularly for a first time dog owner.

Back