• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding advice

clark67

When do you stop feeding a puppy 3 meals a day? He's 16 weeks old but not sure when this stops any advice welcome.

I'd keep going until he is about five to six months old. That was what I did with mine since she was hungry for more after a meal but could miss the middle meal in favour of playing.

I'm sure you'll see the signs for yourself as to when to change over.

I advise using this page for feeding advice -- from a respected US breeder.

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

I stopped feeding three meals a day at 16 weeks -- many puppies will simply stop eating a third meal around this time anyway. But you could continue if you want until around 6 months; but it's a bit more of a hassle. Jaspar was no longer eating much or anything at all at a midday meal by four months so I shifted him to two meals then. In addition many breeders advise not feeding a puppy food at all -- just feed an adult option. I never fed puppy food with any of my dogs.

This is what Laura Lang (Roycroft) advises:

Puppies between 8 and 16 weeks of age do quite well on 3 meals a day. They start out with about a large handful of kibble for each meal or about 1/4 cup. At about 4 to 6 months of age you may begin feeding your puppy twice a day, about 1/2 cup or so each time. Somewhere between 10 and 18 months of age you may begin feeding just once a day--with some really good eaters you may need to feed just once a day by 6 or 7 months of age.

Each time you feed your puppy, put the food down for approximately 15 minutes. If the puppy hasn't finished it after 15 minutes, pick it up and put it away until the next feeding time. Do NOT try to feed in between. Refrigerate if you are feeding a commercially prepared whole foods diet. Do not worry if your puppy appears thin. Puppies are just like humans. Some are very thin while growing up and some are not. It is highly unlikely your puppy will starve itself unless it is already ill. A puppy that grows slowly is best--there is no first prize for gaining full size as early as possible! Puppies who grow slowly are more likely to be able to develop muscle and tissue at the correct rate to keep up the the bone development. Of course some puppies are gluttons! Be careful not to overfeed a glutton.

Sorry to butt in! Just a quick question. I had Molly weighed at vets yesterday - she's 10 weeks and 5 kilos. I'm feeding her 'Hills Science Plan' (puppy mini) which recommends 185g per 24 hours for this weight/age. This seems a little excessive to me, today was the first time giving her this amount and she left the last meal (of 4) almost completely - should I decrease the amount or number of meals.

Harvey weighed 5 kilos at 14 weeks, but then he had had a few tummy problems. He was on presciption food and probiotic powders for 2 weeks before that.

Back