PDA

View Full Version : Treating worms

shippers
21st August 2007, 05:32 PM
I've been advised by our vet to give Sally Drontal Plus worm treatment every 3 months now she is 6 months of age. This was due is Septemeber however yesterday morning I saw something suspicious looking whilst cleaning up her poo! I decided it was over 4 weeks since her last worming with 'Advocate' spot on from the vet so I decided to give Sally the Drontal tablet as the vet directed. This evening Sally has passed a large worm in her poo and several yellow looking ones!! I immediately rang the vet who said the treatment has worked.
The problem is Sally has had this before and because she shows no symptoms how can we be sure she never has any. We don't have any other dogs so where could she be picking this up from? The vet has advised just worming again every 3 months but is this enough since it wasn't 3 months since her last dose? Also can we catch it? I know I am panicking a bit but it seems disgusting:confused:

Barbara Nixon
21st August 2007, 07:01 PM
Dogs can pick up worm eggs from other dogs' poo, or anywhere that the eggs have settled. I think the three month recommendation is because this is the life cyle length of most worms. The adults have been killed (they were excreteed) but eggs may still be intact.

We discussed the spot on wormers, on another forum, and people said they weren't convinced that they could work through skin, prefering a tablet, so, perhaps Drontal is more effective than your last product.

freesia
22nd August 2007, 08:08 AM
I found something in Barney's stools a few days ago, which looked like a big worm, turned out it was a string off the roast that we had earlier. Little tinker, don't know how he got that.:o

Karlin
22nd August 2007, 09:19 AM
Advocate only works MONTHLY not every three months -- hence it had worn off by the time you were seeing worms. :thmbsup: Also not all worms are handled by every wormer.

Cathryn
22nd August 2007, 12:33 PM
Advocate only works MONTHLY not every three months -- hence it had worn off by the time you were seeing worms. :thmbsup: Also not all worms are handled by every wormer.

Yes that's right!! I always use the Drontal Plus on my cuddle, every 3 months without fail, and puppies are wormed with the puppy version too :xfngr: no problems here with worms for a VERY long time now!!

shippers
22nd August 2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. It seems these worms have sneaked in whilst swapping over treatments. The reason she was having Advocate monthly before 6 months of age instead of Drontal and Frontline was because the vet prescribed it for 'walking dandruff' she had from the breeder. When I had ran out they prescribed Drontal and Frontline separately. I will be using Drontal from now on for worms because I definitely don't want her having them! I've noticed they are also much cheaper online than in the vets.

Karlin
22nd August 2007, 04:49 PM
Just be careful where you buy online -- some places are selling pirated products that may not have the ingredients they state. These can look like the real thing too. Be sure to go to a legit vet pharmacy/supplier for these items. I know a few here order online and know of vet supply places.

Cathryn
22nd August 2007, 05:39 PM
Hi!

Yes this is a good one and is registered pharamacy too www.vetmedic.co.uk :thmbsup: