• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bunny owners? To vaccinate or not.

brid kenny

I have had Merry and Pippin for 3 years noe and they live outside in the shed with a run. They have ben vaccinated 3 times each summer for myximatosis. So they are due again. I live in a very urban area and I don't know anything about it. What i do know is that getting them to the vet is very traumatic for them and I'm really not sure if it's worth it. All advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
By the way you don't have to be a bunny owner to reply to this thread!

We've got 13 bunnies that all live in a large shed outside. We have never had them vaccinated and they have all been ok. It is a horrile disease and once they contract it stand very little chance of surviving. Personally i feel that the risks are so minimal that it is not worth it. (just my opinion)

I always vaccinate my bun, but thats as in aus they release virus/diseases top kill ferral rabbits so i'm scared my baby might get bitten by a mozzie!

I don't have rabbits myself but mypoint of view would be to go ahead and have them vaccinated despite the trouble to get them to the vet, better to err on the side of caution than to regret things later on. Just my opinion FWIW? :flwr:

I've got two buns, and always thought that if they have been for their vacs they stand a better chance of fighting the disease, or not contracting it. It's only if it's full blown Myxi that they die even after having the vacs, I've seen a bun survive after getting sores cause it had it's vacs.

Our rabbit is not vaccinated but I am thinking of getting it done now. We went for a walk which is only about a mile away and my dads dog sniffed out a rabbit. My hubby picked it up and was going to put it out of its misery, it had mixi. Fraid it didn't get done poor bunny, I was so worried incase the dogs caught it, I made him put it down. Only found out when we got home that it's highy contagious with other rabbits but not other animals. In hindsight I should of let him do it.

Back