PDA

View Full Version : VAcuum Cleaners???

sannie
22nd August 2007, 05:14 PM
:v*cuum::v*cuum::v*cuum:

Hi folks, I know this has been discussed before but I'd really like someone with hairy doggies :d*g:to recommend a vacuum cleaner to me, particularly brands associated with the UK/Ireland.

I don't want to go to the expense of a Dyson, though I believe they are good. I don't have a lot of carpet in my house, just two bedrooms and the stairs and landing. The rest is flooring or tiles, easily swept.

Last year I bought a morphy richards pet vaccuum and it's absolutely CRAP!:confused: With a capital C.. so if anyone can point me in the direction of a good sucker upper - Me and my family would be really grateful!

Oh and P.S. - The furminator arrived! It's great for Bran the little ruby but not so good for Max our tri! He needs a good professional grooming tho anyway so maybe after that's been done it might be useful for him...

Barbara Nixon
22nd August 2007, 05:52 PM
This is what we bought. It's a prototype , I think, as not widely available, but the spares are the same as for other models.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00080F6EW/kelkoompcpc-householdapps-21/ref=nosim#moreAboutThisProduct
It's actually red, not the colour it appears and has plenty of suck. It even finds hairs on the carpet when we can't see any. Advantages are price, power, a huge dust container, much lighter than a Dyson, cut out as sooon as anything gets stuck, so no burned out motor, see through hose and front, so you can see any hair tangles and the magic duster. The latter is a nylon 'feather' duster which you use then put in it's case to be cleaned and recharged.

My only quibble is that the beater bar does not switch off, so as out stairs are long, I've bought a small cylinder for those (it was only £30 and has lots of suck too). There is no problem with reach, but the cleaner has to be left on floor or landing and could get tugged over.

The Amazon price is excellent, though I paid much less for mine on a special promotion.

People on Dogpages have bought the less powerful animal and found those satisfactory. The animal is a basic cleaner with a turbo brush for the hose and mine has this too.

tanztanya
23rd August 2007, 06:06 PM
does your dog malt alot? we got the 'animal dyson' and its amazing compared to others. You dont need to keep hooving the same space, just hoover over once and its done!! super suction lol. If you go onto the (i think its this site) argos.co.uk, it lists whether the hoover works for pet hair or not.

Claire L
23rd August 2007, 06:41 PM
I had a Dyson for years but I got fed up buying filters for it and then washing the reuseable filters.
When my two girlies arrived first they shed hair for Ireland so I bought a M*ele cat & dog TT5000 and it's GREAT.It comes with a regular head and a turbo head that just lifts up those dog hairs. I love it!!

cy1266
23rd August 2007, 06:57 PM
We have a Miele too (I'm not sure which model though - it has a canister with wheels and a long hose), and we have a TON of pet hair since we have 2 cats and 1 dog. We have wood floors and no carpet, and it does a great job. We use the special attachment for our rugs, which come out looking great. It wasn't cheap, but it was definitely worth the investment - I can always feel how much cleaner the air is after we ("we" meaning my boyfriend! :p ) vacuum.

Barbara Nixon
23rd August 2007, 11:12 PM
Miele are Which? magazines best buy, but I wanted an upright. My Electrolux has three dogs to deal with.

Ste
24th August 2007, 01:45 PM
I'd go for the dyson, they have a five year guarantee now too:) Our previous one blew up (I was forever dropping it down the stairs!) and we ended up going through 3 other vaccums in about a year before giving in and buying a new dyson. It handles the 3 dogs and 6 cats a lot better than any of the others we've tried.

nursejess80
24th August 2007, 05:40 PM
I don't know if you guys have Bissell over there, but we got a Bissell Lift-off Revolution for pets. It works great on carpet or hard floors and has a separate brush for furniture. The only problem I have with it is that its container is pretty small, and I find myself emptying it out alot. However, that was when I had a really fluffy shag rug in our living room....it decreased the rug by about 1/3 the first time I vacuumed with it! We now have a short-haired wool rug, but I haven't tried it on it yet (Ruby ate the shag rug). I think my sister has a purple Dyson for pets that was about $400, and she loves it for her 2 dogs and 2 kids. I just didn't want to pay that much, and I think I paid under $200 for this one. Good luck!! I had to do lots of online research and read customer reviews before deciding, and this one worked out best. Here's a link for it if you want to check it out....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000R4OYY2/bissellcom-20/ref%3Dnosim/

Melissa
9th September 2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-110002-Reaction-Upright/dp/B000BYADXY/ref=sr_1_30/104-1894705-5766343?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1189373481&sr=1-30

This is the vacuum I have, I'm not sure if you can get it in Europe but it is awesome. It's a bagless and it pulls up so much fur that I have to empty it after each room. :eek: