PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: foster/home, pound blenheim

Karlin
22nd August 2007, 08:55 PM
This poor gentleman had not been well cared for at the moment -- he has a sore eye and looks very grubby (probably from the pound kennel) if otherwise looked after as he looks like his coat was groomed before it got so dirty! (of course he could be getting treatment for his eye as well; he was picked up as a stray).

I currently have NO foster place to put this guy who will urgently need a foster space or a prospect of a home by the 27th or will be pts. Not sure of his age. Please let me know if you can help. There will be a €25 release fee for rescue to take him out as well.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/kearney_07/Les.jpg

sallymum
22nd August 2007, 09:06 PM
I can foster.

coconut
22nd August 2007, 09:08 PM
i can do transport if u need be where is he??

Aileen
22nd August 2007, 09:14 PM
Oh baby what has happen to you thank heavens he will be safe soon
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie ---Sam)

misty
22nd August 2007, 09:16 PM
you guys are just stars.

Bless him, poor poor little lad.

Cathryn
22nd August 2007, 09:26 PM
Go girls go, give this guy a second chance, God I wish I was closer and could offer more help!! :xfngr: You get him out of there, looks like he was a much loved pet and not too long ago either! :( :( :lotsaluv:

misty
22nd August 2007, 09:50 PM
Karlin, I'll happily make a small donation to help him out - just let me know.

Karlin
22nd August 2007, 09:56 PM
He is in Dunboyne Pound; this is one of the worst to go in to because people in Dublin do not realise Dublin dogs go there as it is a completely different county! :confused: So they tend not to have a great chance of being reclaimed. :(

He looks like a lovely fellow too; poor man is going to have to spend most of a week there as they won't release him on the weekend I don't think. Hopefully we can organise a rescue effort for him and get him a new home. Badly needs some TLC.

Aileen
22nd August 2007, 10:00 PM
I would help has well just let me know with a donation
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Cathryn
22nd August 2007, 10:16 PM
Same here, let me know donation wise, what you need, happy to help!

Ruth
23rd August 2007, 12:18 AM
Count me in.
Ruth

Karlin
23rd August 2007, 12:36 AM
Forgot to post the link for his thread:

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=54269

coconut
23rd August 2007, 08:34 AM
karlin if u need me give me a ring, if someone near the pound could get him and i could bring him the rest of the way!

casshon
23rd August 2007, 09:06 AM
If they will allow him to be released at the weekend I could get him and meet Coconut somewhere. I looked at their opening hours and they are only open until 4pm weekdays.

PUBLIC OPENING HOURS: Monday - Friday 2.00pm - 4.00pm Saturday 11.00am - 1.00pm
BY APPOINTMENT Monday to Friday 9am - 2pm & 4pm - 5pm Saturday 9am - 11am

coconut
23rd August 2007, 09:11 AM
We could try that!

Karlin
23rd August 2007, 09:48 AM
I don't think they will release him til Monday or Tuesday -- he has to do his full five days. I cannot do anything with him on Monday however -- have the radio programme. My other problem is tht I cannot get dogs directly from this pound so there are various possibilities about trying to get him and transport and get him to a vet which need to be worked out.

The very big issue is going to be finding him a home.

coconut
23rd August 2007, 09:52 AM
he is so cute god the poor lil man!! well karlin i am here for transport if u need me just give me a shout!

casshon
23rd August 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm on a training course all next week so won't be able to get any time off but I can help with transport in the evening/weekend if that's any help.

He looks like a really sweet little guy.

Claire L
23rd August 2007, 10:26 AM
We can go pick him up if you like and bring him to Sallysmum. We work from home so it's not a problem.

Karlin
23rd August 2007, 12:27 PM
Have confirmed he needs to be collected Monday if not reclaimed. Any donations towards his €25 release fee gratefully accepted.

coconut
23rd August 2007, 12:29 PM
Right well i have an appoint in naas at 3 on monday, so if someone could pick him up and i could meet them after 4 nearer dub that could work?

Cathryn
23rd August 2007, 12:36 PM
Have confirmed he needs to be collected Monday if not reclaimed. Any donations towards his €25 release fee gratefully accepted.

Hi!

Have PM'd you!

Sandrac
23rd August 2007, 01:02 PM
Oh poor little fellow - hope he gets out soon. Karlin how can we in UK make a donation to your very worthy cause?

Karlin
23rd August 2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the various offers.

Assuming he isn't reclaimed by Saturday, I won't know until Monday whether he needs to come out and that's the point at which everyone will need to mobilise. :flwr:.

They possibly may not let him go til right at 4pm and then it would be a drive back over towards the Naas direction to wherever Coconut can meet the driver. I'll see if I can get a likely collection time by the weekend.

If he can come out earlier I might possibly get him from one of the rescuers working in that pound, and take him to my vets if they can squeeze him in. Then I could get him to somewhere between Naas and Dublin. I have to be back in the city centre by 6ish.

If rescuers aren't at the pound Monday and I can't do this then will need one of the kind volunteers here -- so if people can be on standby we should be able to sort this Monday morning and then I'll let people ring each other to fine tune the arrangements.

If people want to offer any donation no matter how small this is always appreciated; I know a few of you have PMd me and thanks very much for those offers. As I won't know if he will even be coming into rescue until as late as Monday, people might want to wait til this is confirmed (at that point it will take €25 to get him out of the pound as unfortunately they charge rescue a release fee; obviously he will have some vet fees and so on associated with him too). You can donate by Paypal using my email address, karlinATindigo.ie, replacing AT with the @ sign. I can't take cheques except drawn on Irish banks in euro, I'm afraid!

coconut
23rd August 2007, 03:02 PM
well i will be around whenever u need me karlin just give me a call!

sallymum
23rd August 2007, 04:08 PM
Same here just give me a shout if needeed.:D

Karlin
23rd August 2007, 05:32 PM
I've been told he probably needs to be collected at 4 at end of the public visiting time, in which case I might see if ClaireL can collect then liaise with Coconut to take this fellow to Sallymum, official fosterer to the especially needy :lol:. I am checking to see if he can come out at maybe 3 in which case I will collect him and get him in for an initial vet check, then drive him to met Coconut for after 4. I probably won't know for a day or two. Also as notd I will not know if he needs to come out at all til Monday as he could be reclaimed or homed from the pound. Rescue only is given dogs if the public ae not interested in homing the dog.

coconut
23rd August 2007, 05:35 PM
thats fine by me i will be online up to 12.30 and then u can get me by phone after that!

Claire L
23rd August 2007, 06:03 PM
I've been told he probably needs to be collected at 4 at end of the public visiting time, in which case I might see if ClaireL can collect then liaise with Coconut to take this fellow to Sallymum, official fosterer to the especially needy :lol:. I am checking to see if he can come out at maybe 3 in which case I will collect him and get him in for an initial vet check, then drive him to met Coconut for after 4. I probably won't know for a day or two. Also as notd I will not know if he needs to come out at all til Monday as he could be reclaimed or homed from the pound. Rescue only is given dogs if the public ae not interested in homing the dog.

We'll be around on Monday so just let me know if you need us to pitch in.

Claire L
23rd August 2007, 06:26 PM
Forgot to ask - where exactly is Dunboyne Pound ? :sl*p:

Nick
23rd August 2007, 09:08 PM
Hi Karlin,

With regard to offering a permanent home, I've sent you a mail.

Regards,

Nick

amanda L
23rd August 2007, 10:42 PM
Hi Karlin, have pm'd you.

Cathy T
24th August 2007, 01:04 AM
Poor little fella....just breaks my heart. You guys are awesome!!!!

Scouty girl
24th August 2007, 08:02 PM
Wow, I have tears in my eyes reading how dedicated you all are to helping this sweet looking guy. You all are AWESOME!!!

Karlin
24th August 2007, 08:16 PM
ClaireL and Coconut, can you guys liaise on this one to figure out times and where you will meet to trade him over -- he needs to be collected at 4pm from Dunboyne pound. It cannot be much later than this and cannot be much before this, so it is really important to be there. I would use a crate for transport -- pound dogs that are a totally unknown quantity should not be put on a car harness and definitely not left loose in acar -- it is rare but there have been serious accidents with rescuers driving rescue dogs due to them being loose and acting unexpectedly. Claire if you don't have a crate please let me know, as Amanda can also do this run and if there's no crate, I will have her do it (assuming she has a crate). :thmbsup:

Please tell them that this dog is being collected for Josephine for Cavalier Rescue, NOT for me; my name should not be mentioned at all to the pound, please. I will give them the name of the person who will actually collect the dog so they will know to expect you. I will have paid the release fee so you do not need to pay anything, just collect this dog. :drivecar:

Sallymum, this should be at most a one week foster; this dog has a home pending homecheck. :) I will PM you.

Now: I will check Monday to see if he is still in and needs collecting but I'd also recommend ringing the pound before you leave just to make sure he is still there to be collected! If someone decides to take him anytime up til 4 or the owners show up, they won't release him to rescue. When you ring let them know you are ringing on behalf of Josephine to check if he still needs collecting for rescue.

Here are Josephine's numbers in case anything comes up on the day:

Josephine 01 6285497/087 2618128

Be sure to check in here Monday to see what the current situation is with him.

:thmbsup:

Claire L
24th August 2007, 08:34 PM
I have a crate. We are driving over there tomorrow to see where the pound is and how long the journey will take etc. I'll pm Coconut and see what she wants to do.

Karlin
24th August 2007, 08:40 PM
That's great, thanks! I was pretty sure you had one. :)

It will be wonderful to get this poor fellow out of there.

coconut
25th August 2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah i have a big crate as well and i have email claire my contact details so we are just waiting now!

george108
25th August 2007, 08:44 AM
Karlin you seem to have plenty of help transporting this little guy but please contact me if there is anything I can do to help.

Claire L
25th August 2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah i have a big crate as well and i have email claire my contact details so we are just waiting now!

Coconut,
I HAVEN'T received any mail from you ????????

Karlin
25th August 2007, 11:50 AM
If there are any issues on this or uncertainties on connecting up and finding locations, I do have two other offers of collecting this fellow so just let me know over the weekend, please.

Everyone here is very easily reachable by PMs, so discussions on details can be done privately or by phone to keep this thread focused on any new info on the actual situation of the dog. :thmbsup:

coconut
25th August 2007, 11:51 AM
We have sorted all by PM's no worries karlin

sallymum
25th August 2007, 12:17 PM
Is this lad coming to me.

Karlin
25th August 2007, 01:36 PM
Just spoke with you. :thmbsup:

Nicki
25th August 2007, 02:01 PM
Well done everyone on pulling together to get this poor fellow out.

Claire L
25th August 2007, 04:44 PM
Just got back from the dog pound. It's actually very easy to find, once you know where to go :lol: .

We will be collecting Les on Monday :xfngr: he's still there and meeting up with Coconut at Naas.

Karlin
25th August 2007, 05:28 PM
Spoke to rescuers, no home booked so he should be OK to go tomorrow at 4. I will confirm with them tomorrow.

Claire L
25th August 2007, 06:47 PM
Is that tomorrow Sunday, or tomorrow Monday???

Karlin
25th August 2007, 10:02 PM
Will confirm he is OK to go out on Monday and will post here and text to all the relevant people.

charly
26th August 2007, 08:34 PM
i could go get this poor old man tomorrow
if you still need . my name is joanne you can contact me on
0872125005 if you still need a foster home i would gladly mind him :blabla:

Karlin
26th August 2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the offer! But this is all taken care of -- he is all sorted now with the pound rescuers, and will be collected by Claire and Coconut and go directly to a foster with an eye to rehoming tomorrow. :)

Cathryn
26th August 2007, 09:52 PM
You girls are great!! :xfngr: That all goes well and that his potential new home works out for him too, keep us posted, for some reason this guy has really pulled at me let me know how he goes on won't you please? :lotsaluv:

Karlin
26th August 2007, 10:07 PM
He is going to a board member who I am sure will update once this guy gets to a vet and has settled into his home. :)

Cathryn
26th August 2007, 10:11 PM
He is going to a board member who I am sure will update once this guy gets to a vet and has settled into his home. :)

Fantastic News! Will be watching the thread for news of his "escape" so to speak! Such a shame he has to "do" time when you are ready and able to rescue him, but I know rules and regulations have to be adhered to here.

Claire L
26th August 2007, 11:19 PM
You girls are great!! :xfngr: That all goes well and that his potential new home works out for him too, keep us posted, for some reason this guy has really pulled at me let me know how he goes on won't you please? :lotsaluv:

I know how you feel Cathryn; I felt terrible when we pulled up outside the pound yesterday - so near, yet so far away :( BUT; tomorrow will be a better day for this little guy.

misty
27th August 2007, 12:13 PM
He's also pulled at my heartstrings and I can't wait to hear how he's doing later today.

Thank goodness for all you angels for helping him :).

Karlin
27th August 2007, 01:22 PM
Won;t be able to check with rescuers and post to this thread as I have to be in studio over the relevant time so please go on ahead and get to the pound for 4 to get him out on the assumption that he will be there. I wouldn't trust what the pound says, someone could mistakenly say he is gone when he is there and maybe moved to another kennel. So please be there for 4. :xfngr:

coconut
27th August 2007, 01:49 PM
grand!! well i will give u a txt when i am sorted!!! was talking to nick and have sorted ourseelves out!!!

Claire L
27th August 2007, 02:14 PM
Am leaving the house in ten minutes so anyone who wants me can get me on my mobile.

Nick
27th August 2007, 02:45 PM
We are all so excited at this end! We can't wait to give the poor guy love and attention.

All being well, he will be at the vets in a couple of hours, getting a teeny bit of the attention he needs.:xfngr:

Thanks to all for their practical help, and best wishes.cl*p

Nick

Karlin
27th August 2007, 04:11 PM
He's out and safe and on his way. :)

Ruth
27th August 2007, 04:12 PM
That's the most wonderful news ..... well done!

Ruth

Karlin
27th August 2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the kind donations which covered his pound release fee and will also enable me to help another pound dog in the same way. :rah:

Cathryn
27th August 2007, 05:06 PM
He's out and safe and on his way. :)

:w**h**: :w**h**: Oh Boy is that good news!! I was so nervous I went out for the afternoon in case it was bad news!!

Thanks for the kind donations which covered his pound release fee and will also enable me to help another pound dog in the same way. :rah:

I am so glad to hear that you will be able to help another dog in this way Karlin, :xfngr: it will be a while before you have to!!

Give Les a huge kiss and a VERY GENTLE :hug: from me won't you, whoever has him?? :lotsaluv:

Karlin
27th August 2007, 05:08 PM
Coconut has him now, and he's on his way to Nick. She says he's quite afraid with all the activity, and both eyes look very sore. Makes me really frustrated that he couldn't be treated in the time he spent at the pound. :( I know Nick will provide him with a nice quiet calm place to chill out and regain his bearings. He's going directly to the vet first.

WoodHaven
27th August 2007, 05:14 PM
It always irritates me that many shelters can SEE a dog has health issues and some don't do anything to help unless they know the dog will be taken. That eye looks so sore. Thanks, everyone for getting this poor gent out :rah:

Harry & Heidi's mom
27th August 2007, 05:51 PM
Wooohooooo thats great news i'm so pleased you guys got him out!!!

Emma n Renco
27th August 2007, 07:53 PM
Congratulations to everyone - so good to see how everyone pulled together to help this poor chap. What a lucky boy and well done all!!!!!!!! Looking forward to more updates on his progress :-)

Karlin
27th August 2007, 08:28 PM
According to the vet, may be part-sighted -- bet that's untreated dry eye or corneal ulcers. :mad: He's received lots of drops so guess he will be assessed again once those have had a chance to do some good work. Let's hope he does have his full sight once those eyes clear up. :xfngr: He's already neutered, too! So he belonged to someone who once looked after him -- who knows how he ended up so neglected.

I hear he was straight out into the garden and running around with his new young master. :lol: Nick will have to start a thread to update us and post some pictures, now. :)

coconut
27th August 2007, 09:16 PM
hi guys my broadband has being acting up so i thought that i would not get on tonight!!! he is a very pleasent fellow bless him he was so afraid when i got him for claire!! But thankfully he is now with loving people who will help him get into better health!!! POUNDS REALLY annoying me that they could not have treated him!!

Nick has the camera ready so he will be putting up pictures soon!!

Claire L
27th August 2007, 09:17 PM
[quote]I hear he was straight out into the garden and running around with his new young master. :lol: Nick will have to start a thread to update us and post some pictures, now. :){/QUOTE]

Thank God for that! When I put him in the crate and went to lift it, I almost pulled a muscle:rotfl:Boy! he is one big lad but he has an adorable face :l*v:

Good luck in your new home Les :lotsaluv: :hug:

Claire L
27th August 2007, 09:24 PM
It always irritates me that many shelters can SEE a dog has health issues and some don't do anything to help unless they know the dog will be taken. That eye looks so sore. Thanks, everyone for getting this poor gent out :rah:
The girl that brought him out said that his eyes were sore but that he wouldn't let anyone bathe them. I think the poor little guy was just so distraught. He was crying when I put him into the car so I started to sing to him and he just lay down in his crate..I think he was very relieved to be out of there. Bet he sleeps like a log tonight.

Nick
27th August 2007, 09:27 PM
Hi All!

Phew! What a day :D . I know how much love has been coming our way, but honestly folks, this is the first chance to update you all.:*bay:

Good news is that Mungo (watchers of children's TV in the 60's and 70's will know why) is safe, happy and in fine form. In fact he is lying in his basket snoring happily as I type. So many thanks are in order to Claire L and Coconut for picking him up and transporting him to me.

I brought him straight to the vet, who told me that Mungo has a heart murmer (no real surprise there), and thinks his vision isn't too good. He doesn't think his eye weeping is any more than dry eye, and cleaned them up and started Mungo on viscous eye drops. They are very red though :( . We also started Mungo on his vaccinations on this visit. Anyway, following confirmation that he has already had "the op", we then moved to the adjoining shop to pick up some essentials.

Mungo and I headed home, where Coconut was waiting to see how we got on. I am so happy to tell you that Mungo was very happy to be out of his crate, and ran around the garden like a young one! He was chasing balls, sniffing around the trees and bushes, and generally behaving like a puppy. It was then I realised that I had forgotten to ask the vet to age him, until he was back in his crate :sl*p: . That will have to wait until the next visit, I guess. We said goodbye to Coconut (thanks again), and then fed him, and poor mite he wolfed down his food. So Mungo was happy, but oh was he dirty!!!! and then decided to pop Mungo in the bath.

Bless him, he was so good in the bath, and we managed to get a lot of the grime from his torso, head and back, but his tummy, legs and tail are still quite grubby. Not wanting to overdo it on the first evening, we decided to dry him off, and give it another go tomorrow.

More playtime followed, plus a bit of practice on the lead. You know, he was so good in the bath, so good in the house, and so good on the lead that it is plain that he must have been a much loved pet at some stage. I can't help wondering what went wrong for him in the past.

Thank you all for your support, and as Karlin suggested, I will start a new thread with pictures as soon as I get my Flickr account up and running - problem setting it up due to no postcodes in Ireland :confused: .

Nick

Claire L
27th August 2007, 09:42 PM
Congratulations Nick and what a perfect name " Mungo" :lol:
That lil' guy is going to give you sooo much love - he's just adorable. I can't wait to see pics of him all cleaned up.

Karlin
27th August 2007, 09:46 PM
Try entering 00001 or similar for a postcode -- anything will do. I regularly have to do this on registration forms online!

Sounds like he is already fitting right in. Incidentlly it took months for me to get Lily's white fur back to being fairly white -- she was kind of a dingy grey for ages! One thing that really hlps -- take him to the beach. He will look grubby covered in sand and water, but the sand actually really cleans their fur as it is abrasive. Works really well once they have dried off! :)

Maxxs_Mummy
27th August 2007, 10:23 PM
What a wonderful ending to such a sad story. It is so heartbreaking that these little angels can end up in such sorry situations and unbelieveable that the pounds don't treat them - I suppose if they have a PTS policy then they won't 'waste' their money....

Nick, I love the name Mungo and it really suits him :) I hope you and he will be so happy together and have lots of Cavalier cuddles and love.

Thanks to everyone from me and my babies for getting this little man out safely - big hugs to you all. I have only just read the thread but have sat here biting my lip and hoping for the best whilst holding back the tears - now they are dripping down my face in relief that he is safe :hug:

Nick, it will probably take him a while but one day you will look back and see how far he has come since today - you've just gained yourself the loyalest friend anyone could ever wish to have :) i wouldn't be without my boys for all the money in the world :)

Lynn
27th August 2007, 10:25 PM
OMG I can't believe that I had not seen this thread until after Mungo came home!!!!! You all who had hands in this precious guy's rescue are all angels... (AND you've all reduced me to a weeping fool!!!! )

Bravo everyone!!!!:rah: I hope and pray that Mungo has many happy & healthy years ahead of him in his new home with Nick. What a wonderful group of people you all are.

Nick
28th August 2007, 09:03 AM
I finally managed to work out how to post pics, so here are two from last night. Not great, I know, but I hope you will agree that Mungo looks a bit better than when in the pound. He slept soundly all night, and was in great form this morning! His poor eyes still look so sore though.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1439/1252358610_3b55f71737.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1246/1251498465_d323de4e88.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help and support. I will start a new thread in the General Gallery, and post regular pics.

Nick

Karlin
28th August 2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the photos! Gosh he's a real teddy bear, isn't he -- what a lovely thick coat and such a deep red. His eyes look so much better than in the original picture. I see what you mean about trying to get that grime out of his coat -- that is really aeons of grime I think. :confused: It will gradually come clean. I know some show breeders say you can make a paste of baking soda to work into really dirty fur to get it clean. It may just take lots of washes though Im a great fan of sand! :) Look forward to more pics.

coconut
28th August 2007, 09:25 AM
Nick i he does look a lot whiter than he did yesterday! so glad that he is fitting in, he has really found a loving home!!

misty
28th August 2007, 10:02 AM
awwwww, Mungo, you lucky boy :).

What a wonderful outcome for the precious lad and he looks at home already, in typical cav fashion.

He has a lovely face, bless him - so cute :).

Nick
28th August 2007, 10:12 AM
:-p Another quick update:

We are taking Mungo for some professional pampering and grooming, later this morning. He deserves a few treats after the last few weeks.

Nick

amanda L
28th August 2007, 11:58 AM
So glad to hear little Mungo is safe, sounds like he's fitting right in. He is just adorable in that 2nd picture

Karlin
28th August 2007, 12:22 PM
ooh bet he'll be very handsome and won't know himself after the pampering! :lol:

sarahg
28th August 2007, 12:54 PM
Mungo is gorgeous, well done to all involved in his rescue :flwr:

Nick
28th August 2007, 12:57 PM
I thought you might like to know why we called him Mungo. Back in (I think) 1969, there was a BBC TV Children's programme called Mary, Mungo and Midge. Mary was a little girl, Midge was a mouse, and Mungo was, you've guessed it, a wise dog. Even though only 13 episodes were made, it has become a bit of a cult classic. I found the following picture:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1067/1256884113_9dbd23864b.jpg

When we saw our poor little fellow, and particularly his jowls, we felt we had no option but to christen him Mungo!:dogwlk:

Nick

*Pauline*
28th August 2007, 05:14 PM
What an amazing story, he look SO much better. You all are wonderful saving this fella. He looks very content there. Give him a kiss from me and Dylan. Awww love him.

Mary Mungo and Midge...I still have nightmares about lifts!! Here's a whole episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diDadrWW4_w

Cathryn
28th August 2007, 05:26 PM
So gald to hear that Mungo is settling in so well with you and your family already Nick! His coat will come clean with time believe me!! Will look out for new pics and posts on Mungo's (LOVED that programme BTW!) adventures with you and your family!!

Nick
28th August 2007, 09:21 PM
Hi All,

I've posted an update under the Photo General Gallery.

Nick:rah: